Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 04-20-2007, 11:46 PM   #1
I-Want-Troy's-Hair
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 2698
Default Ben a bit of a whiner?

I think Ben still has some growing up to do. He's still in possession of the 24 year old brain. But hey whatever it takes.

http://postgazette.com/pg/07111/779926-66.stm

Steelers Notebook: Big Ben, Cowher had problems

Saturday, April 21, 2007
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Ben Roethlisberger blurted the worst-kept secret around the Steelers into the open yesterday: He and coach Bill Cowher did not quite see eye to eye.

"Our relationship wasn't great because he was here before I got here and I was just a young kid," Roethlisberger said yesterday.

The most glaring instance of the strain on that relationship came in 2005 when Cowher became aware that his young quarterback was riding a motorcycle without wearing a helmet. Cowher talked to him and advised him to be responsible and wear one. That same day, Roethlisberger told the media he would continue to ride without a helmet.

Other instances occurred when the coach sharply disagreed publicly with Roethlisberger that he had played the AFC championship game in his rookie season with broken toes. There were other disagreements over perceived injuries that caused frustration for Cowher.

Roethlisberger hopes to get off to a better start with new coach Mike Tomlin.

"Coach Tomlin and I are rookies together in a sense, so I think we will have a better relationship,'' Roethlisberger said.

Taylor back with first team

Cornerback Ike Taylor regained his spot on the first-team defense, at least for yesterday. He ended last season having lost his job and virtually in the coach's doghouse. He and veteran Deshea Townsend worked with the first unit.

"Right now, I am just happy to be back out there," Taylor said. "The offseason was fast. The season is approaching, We have a new head coach, new coaching staff. I am glad to be back playing football."

Not a center yet

Starting right guard Kendall Simmons does not see himself competing at center with newcomer Sean Mahan and seven-year veteran backup Chukky Okobi, no matter what his coaches said.

Simmons was at right guard and Okobi at center when the first unit took the field yesterday. Simmons will practice some at center, but does not expect it to be full time. Marvin Philip also made the roster last season as a rookie center.

"We have Chukky, Sean and Marvin here," Simmons said. "I want to be good enough at it and continue to get reps so if something happens I can do it."

Gardocki still here, but ...

Punter Chris Gardocki, still on the roster despite the team's attempts to replace him, attended minicamp. Gardocki, 37, has a $1 million salary due this year. The Steelers signed restricted free agent Andy Lee, but the 49ers kept their punter by matching the contract. Punter Mike Barr is on the preseason roster for the fourth consecutive year, and the Steelers have taken closer looks at a couple of college punting prospects.

New policy

Tomlin ended a long-standing Steelers tradition of open policy when he barred newspaper photographers from most of practice.

He will permit the still photographers to work the early part of practice when players basically run and stretch, but not when the team moves to group drills and practice.

Tomlin explained that he's trying to protect players while they compete for jobs.

"Sometimes, a picture's worth a thousand words, and some people are going to be in some compromising positions that maybe they don't want to see themselves in," Tomlin said.

So far so good

Tomlin's first two practices as Steelers coach were run crisply on a warm day, and he said he was happy with them.

"Just the overall atmosphere for what we're looking for, the tempo, the attention to detail. I wanted to hear the guys coach. I wanted to hear the guys talk to one another, teach one another. The overall camaraderie is what I was looking for. We got a lot of that today. It was a great, upbeat tempo, a positive attitude. It was a very positive day from that standpoint."
Old 04-21-2007, 03:59 AM   #2
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,315 Times in 1,411 Posts
My Mood: Lurking
Default Re: Ben a bit of a whiner?

I like the things I am hearing about tomlin I believe he will bring this team where it needs to be.I think ben will be fine he will get back in the groove.
Galax Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 05:43 AM   #3
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

Alot of views, not many comments - 2 cents from a Patriots fan should rectify that

I know we shouldn't read too much into what players say in articles - as demonstrated by James Harrison in the other thread.

But sometimes players really should toe the party line and keep the interviews as bland and uncontroversial as possible - team chemistry can be a brittle thing.

Regarding the actual comment, I find Ben's lack of humility regarding his relationship with a Pittsburgh legend slightly disturbing.

I also think he shouldn't be quite so open about boxing himself and Tomlin together under that 'rookies' umbrella - Tomlin is his boss and Ben sounds like he is over familiar with him.

Thats how I read it anyway, I still think Ben is a good QB but he needs to start thinking a little more before speaking to the press.
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 05:46 AM   #4
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 7,298 Times in 3,268 Posts

What's up with banning photographers from practice?

I guess Belichick paranoia/control games is the role model for young coaches.

As for Ben's comments, saying you did not get along with someone after they are gone is petty bull****. This kid still has some growing up to do.

Agree with LITP that calling your new boss a rookie may not be wise - if Ben thinks he is getting into a peer relationship rather than boss/coach relationship with Tomlin he is going to be in for a rude awakening.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 06:38 AM   #5
LarryNJ
Starter

Member Number: 2857

I read the rookie comment as meaning they are both new to the team and starting out fresh. That's a much better attitude than some of the vets have about getting a new coach.

As for the Cowher comment, maybe he knew exactly what he wanted to say. Too many people think Cowher was a god and can't be replaced. Ben may simply be saying he can be replaced and the Steelers will be successful under their new coach.
LarryNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 07:22 AM   #6
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

LITP, Dan and Larry, you all have good points.

The quote below is taken from the other article pertaining to Ben, Cowher and Tomlin. My question. Did the reporter specifically ask about Cowher and Ben's relationship or was the reporter simply asking Ben about his relationship with Tomlin and Ben decided to go off on a Cowher rant? What I'm trying to figure out is why would Bill Cowher's name even came out of Ben's mouth at this point in time, let alone making it clear that the relationship between himself and Cowher "wasn't great"?

Quote:
Roethlisberger and Tomlin have already started to form a bond and the fact that Tomlin is new is something the quarterback feels will benefit their relationship.

"It will definitely be different because Coach (Bill) Cowher was here before I got here," explained Roethlisberger. "Our relationship wasn't great because he was here before I got here and I was just a young kid. Coach Tomlin and I are rookies together in a sense so I think we will have a better relationship."
As for considering himself and Tomlin "rookies", I'm not looking too much into that comment. As LarryNJ already stated, I think it was more of a "we are starting off on a clean slate" type of comment more than anything else. Would I have made that analogy after receiving a new boss? Probably not, but I don't think Ben meant any disrespect towards Tomlin. It is better than what Faneca and Ward have stated since the Tomlin hire.

At the same time, I agree with AtlantaDan. Ben's comments did come off as "Coach Tomlin and I are going to be drinking buddies" to a degree. If Ben feels himself and Tomlin are going to be buddy/buddy after a horribly played game I believe he is strongly mistaken. Ben and the rest of the players on this roster have yet to see a pissed off Mike Tomlin.

Finally, do I feel Ben still has some growing up to do? I'm sure many will disagree, but between his Cowher comments, bike incident, injury dispute with Cowher, and his dispute with Whisenhunt over last season, I would say yes. Hopefully that occurs sooner rather than later. This may sound harsh to some and I'm sure some will disagree, but I feel he should keep his mouth shut pertaining to past coaches (much like Faneca) and focus on becoming a better QB. Just my opinion.

Last edited by 83-Steelers-43; 04-21-2007 at 08:41 AM.
83-Steelers-43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 07:25 AM   #7
BIGBENFASTWILLIE
Living Legend

Member Number: 618

No I dont believe so.........He didnt bash cowher..........and more importantly.........HE NEVER COMPLAINED WHILE THE TWO WERE ON THE SAME TEAM.....Thats something thats some players need to learn.......(fenaca)
Old 04-21-2007, 09:07 AM   #8
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Another fluff piece by Bouchette. Bradshaw had mentioned many times years after the fact that he and Noll were never the best of pals either. Does that make Bradshaw immature? HERE are some examples of immaturity - I won't mention any names, I'll just let you guess (but it shouldn't be too hard to figure out who I'm talking about): "Yeah, they won, but we're still the better team.", "WAAAHHH! I hate the Steelers!", and, in so many words, regarding the Pats playing in the AFCCG this past season: "See? You don't need talent to go to the SB, you just need guys that will play together as a team." Just another non-story.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 09:15 AM   #9
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 7,298 Times in 3,268 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
Another fluff piece by Bouchette. Bradshaw had mentioned many times years after the fact that he and Noll were never the best of pals either. Does that make Bradshaw immature? HERE are some examples of immaturity - I won't mention any names, I'll just let you guess (but it shouldn't be too hard to figure out who I'm talking about): "Yeah, they won, but we're still the better team", "WAAAHHH! I hate the Steelers!", and, in so many words, regarding the Pats playing in the AFCCG this past season: "See? You don't need talent to go to the SB, you just need guys that will play together as a team." Just another non-story.
Calling out another team may not be mature but it is not as low as trashing your ex-coach. At least Faneca's discontent with Tomlin is something to which Tomlin could respond, if he elected to do, at their meeting the other night.

If a player has problems with someone say it to their face; Ben says he takes the blame for last season but he has liberally been sharing his disagreements with the ex-coaches since then. At best, he is sucking up to the new boss with those comments, but there is not much honorable in that either.

It is not that Ben had issues with his coaches but that he is not keeping those problems private that I see as a sign of continuing immaturity - not what you want in a (self-appointed) "team leader."
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 09:15 AM   #10
TackleMeBen
Southern Belle
Supporter

Location: where all the cute men are(especially the one in my avatar)
Member Number: 4435

I am amazed how quickly people rip into him about comments he makes. He was being honest, and yes maybe sometimes he should watch what he says, but then again if he always gave the PC answer I am sure he would be ripped for that too. Either way Ben will not win when he does a interview.

As for the rookie comment about Tomlin, I think he meant it as they are all on the same level so to speak. They(the players)have to get to know him and vice versa. So I really wouldnt read anything more into it.

In memory of my brother Michael, who gave me my love of sports. I will miss you!
TackleMeBen is offline   Reply With Quote