Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2012 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 04-22-2007, 12:41 PM   #11
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363
Default Re: ESPN Defensive Positional Value

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCzar76 View Post
I can see your point regarding Anderson's relative inexperience. But, i'm impressed with his athletic upside and his frame which will allow room for growth.
As far as Ginn,...i was thinking more along the lines of sleeper as a converted Corner/Special teams phenom. Moreso as oppossed to just a pure receiver.

Now regarding Revis,.....i can't say i'm sold LLT. He was 'solid' in college. (from what i saw) But he didn't look that much more impressive to me than cats like Hall, Ross or Mcaughley. I tend to think he's being given such late push 'Pub' because of his PA roots.IMO
Not being from PA..I cant really respond to that aspect of it..but I have no doubt that the "local kid" is always popular....From my perspective however....I have always considered him one of the top 4 CB's (the others being Hall, Ross & Houston)

but look at his resume!!!!

From (PFW)
He started 11 of 12 games as a true freshman, totaling 49 tackles, 12 pass break-ups, and 2 interceptions on the year. He also averaged 10.2 yards per punt return the final two games of the season. As a sophomore, Darrelle totaled 41 tackles, 9 pass break-ups, and led the team with a career high 4 interceptions. He averaged 11.6 yards per punt return on 28 attempts. As a junior, He finished with 39 tackles, 4 pass break-ups, and 2 interceptions. He was named first team all-Big East His Sophmore and Junior year.

He is a durable player who hasn?t missed a single game due to injury. He has an excellent combination of size and speed for a cornerback....having ran a 4.39 Forty at his Pro-day His size 5'11 204 lbs...allows him to matchup against bigger, more physical receivers while his speed allows him to stay with just about any receiver that lines up against him, as well as recover when an opponent does gain separation on him. ....fluid backpedal and he is quick to break on the ball. ... He is a hard hitter and a solid tackler....has not yet reached his full potential..
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 12:46 PM   #12
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,849 Times in 4,490 Posts

the drop off of the 4 highest ranked cb's seems so minute, it seems you get better value taking the 4th one in the late 1st round rather that the 1st one at 15 or so. if we want a cb we should trade down. with that being said, alot of teams are high on revis other than the steelers. the talking heads just give him to us at 15 cause its the easy way out and they can move on to guessing the rest of their board.
Old 04-22-2007, 02:18 PM   #13
SteelCzar76
Banned

Member Number: 2498

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamberts-lost-tooth View Post
Not being from PA..I cant really respond to that aspect of it..but I have no doubt that the "local kid" is always popular....From my perspective however....I have always considered him one of the top 4 CB's (the others being Hall, Ross & Houston)

but look at his resume!!!!

From (PFW)
He started 11 of 12 games as a true freshman, totaling 49 tackles, 12 pass break-ups, and 2 interceptions on the year. He also averaged 10.2 yards per punt return the final two games of the season. As a sophomore, Darrelle totaled 41 tackles, 9 pass break-ups, and led the team with a career high 4 interceptions. He averaged 11.6 yards per punt return on 28 attempts. As a junior, He finished with 39 tackles, 4 pass break-ups, and 2 interceptions. He was named first team all-Big East His Sophmore and Junior year.

He is a durable player who hasn?t missed a single game due to injury. He has an excellent combination of size and speed for a cornerback....having ran a 4.39 Forty at his Pro-day His size 5'11 204 lbs...allows him to matchup against bigger, more physical receivers while his speed allows him to stay with just about any receiver that lines up against him, as well as recover when an opponent does gain separation on him. ....fluid backpedal and he is quick to break on the ball. ... He is a hard hitter and a solid tackler....has not yet reached his full potential..

I feel what your saying LLT,... on paper the kid is very solid. But my only question is,,..are his stats mostly a product of playing against Big East passing offenses for the most part ?

What i mean is,... if he's really that good to be talked of as going as high as 15th,...wouldn't he have garnered more attention regarding scouts during the season ?

I heard some give him mention then,.....but nothing to the extent of the praise he's received since his Pro Day though. (And that's somewhat 'suspect' IMO)
SteelCzar76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 02:39 PM   #14
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCzar76 View Post
I feel what your saying LLT,... on paper the kid is very solid. But my only question is,,..are his stats mostly a product of playing against Big East passing offenses for the most part ?

What i mean is,... if he's really that good to be talked of as going as high as 15th,...wouldn't he have garnered more attention regarding scouts during the season ?

I heard some give him mention then,.....but nothing to the extent of the praise he's received since his Pro Day though. (And that's somewhat 'suspect' IMO)
ESPN has him ranked #23 overall.. with just Hall ranked as a cornerback above him.. that would be a solid #15 pick when value is considered...
...I think alot of why he has flew under the radar is because of where he played....I wouldnt do a backflip if we took him at #15..but I would think it to be a good value based on his talent and our needs
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 01:00 PM   #15
SteelCzar76
Banned

Member Number: 2498

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamberts-lost-tooth View Post
ESPN has him ranked #23 overall.. with just Hall ranked as a cornerback above him.. that would be a solid #15 pick when value is considered...
...I think alot of why he has flew under the radar is because of where he played....I wouldnt do a backflip if we took him at #15..but I would think it to be a good value based on his talent and our needs

I'd still take Houston if we went corner at 15th. And possibly Hall, only after i attempted to trade down. I'm of the thinking of those whom consider this a very 'shallow' draft in regards to 'true' 1st round quality players. (Though it's deep with round two quality players)
From what i've seen along with workouts,..Houston is the only 'standout' amongst this class. IMO(Though that's may not being saying a great deal. )
And to me Revis is not much more impressive than any of the other remaining top ten Corners. And though he would be solid,....he'd still be a considerable 'reach' at 15.
SteelCzar76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 08:28 AM   #16
Crushzilla
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 5106

Its kind of interesting to look at these stats...

It seems certain that we need a LB in the first round, but we have impact defensive players who were a steal in later rounds...

I don't even know what to say anymore about the draft... I feel like I'm just stating obvious things... GET HERE ALREADY!