Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 09-01-2005, 08:12 AM   #1
LambertIsGod58
Team President

Member Number: 410
Default Being asked for help

This may come off cold and insensitive, but does is bother anyone that because of this hurricane we are being asked to donate what we can? Don't get me wrong, my heart and sympathy go out to everyone that has been devastated by this tragedy. But, how can people expect a ton of donations when they have to worry about putting gas in their car?
Maybe it's just me, but that's how I see it.

"Life is a journey and you never arrive" Chuck Noll 1969-91
LambertIsGod58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 08:34 AM   #2
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

Member Number: 70
Default Re: Being asked for help

Well I can see your point..the costs of gas are about to get this close to me starting to take the bus to work. For 35.00 a month I can get a bus pass to take me almost right to the front door and back at night. Its ridiculous !!!!

If Im able to spare some cash, food, water, etc. to send down there I would imagine we'll probably do it. After watching CNN yesterday all day at work, the flooding, devestation, and death is just astounding. :(
BlitzburghRockCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 08:52 AM   #3
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 591

I just emailed my friends about it this morning. I had 3 emails asking for donations, both MSN and Yahoo have donation links, my morning paper had a front page article asking for money, and I heard Harry Connick Jr. is doing a telethon tomorrow night. I truly feel bad about the losses the people in the Gulf suffered, and I will donate, but I will only donate once...
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 09:16 AM   #4
SteelR1
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 512

I can agree with you sort of. I mean these people do have insurance right? That will only help in the rebuilding process. What about the days and weeks following the hurricane that they have nothing to eat, no where to sleep and no clean clothes..

I do agree with suit, if you are going to donate, donate what you can within reason once..

Karma does work in strange ways, would you want someone to help you if you were there....?
Old 09-01-2005, 10:28 AM   #5
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Actually, I've heard that about half the residents of NO did NOT have flood insurance, so they will be SOL.
Old 09-01-2005, 10:35 AM   #6
Steel - X
Team Captain

Member Number: 583

Why would you not have flood insurance? I mean you are going to live nest to a major body of water that is known for hurricanes in your area why not pay the $10 a month.

I will do what I can for these people but I am sorry where is my money going to go? To some guy holding an AK 47 shooting up cops? I am sitting here watching people sit on roofs looking for help and right down the street hundreds are stealing TV's from appliance stores. Where the hell are they going to plug it in? and if they do find an outlet not under water there is no power. I can see taking meds, clothes, and food because no one has any but TV's come on. If I am guaranteed my hard earned money is going to a family that needs itt and are not looting or killing cops by all means you can have my donations because what happened to that community is heart wrenching and I feel for all of them that have lost everything.

My Fantasy Football Website......NO LIMIT SPORTS

Steel - X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 10:40 AM   #7
bigbensgirl7
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 292

I am not someone that has a lot of money, but I feel that I should chip in to help them out. I would hope people would do the same for me if a natural disaster was to hit around here. These people are going with out food, formula for their children, homeless, in some case stuck until help comes, and without electricity for months...probably around Christmas time.
I see that the gas prices have sky rocketed and I will just have to cut back on my driving....but I feel that I should send them what I can, even if it's not a lot! These people lost EVERYTHING and it's not going to be that easy to rebuild and get it back!
Old 09-01-2005, 11:16 AM   #8
Prosdo
Banned

Member Number: 86

I just heard the news say that the residents won't be able to come back for a few months. Its a shame more of the people don't have flood insurance. I'm going to try and donate some money or atleast maybe some supplies. I'll keep all those people in my prayers.
Prosdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 11:40 AM   #9
steelersgirl86
Starter

Member Number: 331

I agree. I am sure I will be donating what I can. I can not imagine what those people are going through and would not want to go through it myself. But like you all have been saying god forbid something happens here or to me or my family I would hope people would help. As long as I know my money or items are really going to the people I would be more than happy. I am sure we all waste money on stupid things or not so important things and right now they have nothing. And I am sure living where they did that flood insurance is more than $10 a month, or sometimes people assume they have it and then find out they dont. But that is not the issue the issue is that in just a few hours these people were left with nothing and in horrible conditions. I think if everyone pitched in a few dollars or 1 or 2 items it would make a big difference.
Old 09-01-2005, 04:11 PM   #10
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

I think sending supplies and non-perishables might be the best bet at this point. As Steel-X rightly pointed out, sending money blindly right now might be a mistake. I don't want some idiot taking my money into Wal-Mart and buying ammunition to shoot cops or rescue workers with...