Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 04-23-2007, 11:50 PM   #1
I-Want-Troy's-Hair
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 2698
Default Tomlin talking about 4/3 vs 3/4

Was watching the "uncut" version of the pre-draft press conference on the KDKA site and Tomlin was talking about the 3/4 vs 4/3. It went like this....

"In todays NFL the lines are getting somewhat blurry specifically if your talking about a 3/4 vs a 4/3. The issue in my opinion is whether or not their a two gap front or a one gap front. There are some 3/4 teams that are a one gap front there are some 3/4 teams that are a two gap front. The 3/4 teams that are a one gap front play very similar to the 4/3 teams."

The guy actually said all that with a straight face. He had me so I'm sure there is a method to that madness but here are my thoughts..... if it works on the field and we win game then I'm okay with it.

Anyway the reporters started fishing around (as usual) for inside draft info and one of the reporters mentioned Darrell Revis' name and 'ole Tomlin lit up like a Christmas tree. Looks like he'd like to get his hands on that kid. Kevin Colbert even made a comment about how Tomlin lit up when his name was mentioned and to stop giving away the draft secrets.

Will be interesting to see who our first pick will be. The draft is just another step closer to opening day.
Old 04-24-2007, 12:01 AM   #2
Sharkissle29
Team President

Member Number: 910
Default Re: Tomlin taking about 4/3 vs 3/4

i dunno if i would think much of tomlin lighting up after Revis' name was mentioned.....could be a little draft decoy :)...haha but you never know
Old 04-24-2007, 12:07 AM   #3
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370

Remember,Tomlin was the DB coach in Tampa Bay when they won the Super Bowl.The guy is a defense and DB guy.If he could get Ike to play like he did in 2005 and have Revis playing excellent at the same time...plus Troy and Smith at saftey...we'd probally have the ebst defensive backfield in the league.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 12:18 AM   #4
jjpro11
Living Legend

Member Number: 3559

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Want-Troy's-Hair View Post
Was watching the "uncut" version of the pre-draft press conference on the KDKA site and Tomlin was talking about the 3/4 vs 4/3. It went like this....

"In todays NFL the lines are getting somewhat blurry specifically if your talking about a 3/4 vs a 4/3. The issue in my opinion is whether or not their a two gap front or a one gap front. There are some 3/4 teams that are a one gap front there are some 3/4 teams that are a two gap front. The 3/4 teams that are a one gap front play very similar to the 4/3 teams."

The guy actually said all that with a straight face. He had me so I'm sure there is a method to that madness but here are my thoughts..... if it works on the field and we win game then I'm okay with it.

Anyway the reporters started fishing around (as usual) for inside draft info and one of the reporters mentioned Darrell Revis' name and 'ole Tomlin lit up like a Christmas tree. Looks like he'd like to get his hands on that kid. Kevin Colbert even made a comment about how Tomlin lit up when his name was mentioned and to stop giving away the draft secrets.

Will be interesting to see who our first pick will be. The draft is just another step closer to opening day.
little word of advice about pre-draft talk.. if a coach "loves" a player.. he's not drafting him.
jjpro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 06:31 AM   #5
abgroove
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 5150

If we get Ike to play like he did in 2005, we won't need Revis. We can use our first pick to address a more pressing need.... like LB, OT, C
abgroove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 06:40 AM   #6
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

I guess the question still remains as to if he is thinking about switching to a Tampa-2 defense....His interest in Revis isnt very telling since Revis can play Man and Zone.

Quote:
In a Pass Defense:
The Tampa 2 is a variation of the Cover 2 formation in which all pass responsibilities are zone coverage (instead of Man-to-man). Zone coverage is where players are assigned an area on the field which they are to cover:

The safeties and middle linebacker cover the deep third: areas of the field usually extending from about 15 yards beyond the line of scrimmage to the endzone, divided into thirds by the middle of the field). The middle linebacker drops into deep coverage, making what first looks like a Cover 2 into a Cover 3.
The cornerbacks cover the flats: the area of the field extending about 15 yards from the line of scrimmage, and from the last man on the offensive line to the sideline.
Outside linebackers cover the box: the two outside linebackers split the middle of the field consisting of the area within 15 yards of the line of scrimmage and in between the two flats into halves.

In a Run defense:
To defend running plays, the Tampa 2 is a single gap defense where each player is responsible to defend his own gap. The assigned gap changes with game conditions and personnel.

Typically this style of defense utilizes smaller but faster linemen and linebackers with above average speed. Also the defensive backs must be above average hitters as well.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 06:57 AM   #7
moedap
Starter

Member Number: 2890

Quote:
We must play a 2 gap front b/c when teams have taking advantage of us on the run(which happens as often as a leap year) the A gaps is where they took advantage.
moedap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 07:21 AM   #8
Buzz05
Team Captain

Member Number: 2482

Revis would be a nice addition to the backfield. But what about McFadden, Deshae, and ****ley? Its seems that we already are full at that position. Unless maybe some draft wheeling and dealing for extra picks...

I just have this feeling we will end up with a LB. Whether it be Poz, Timmons, or Carriker..But if we end up with Revis its not like there will be a drop in talent. Either one would be a good pick
Buzz05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 07:39 AM   #9
coachspeak33
Banned

Member Number: 2231

Carriker reminds me so much of a young Aaron Smith... Carriker, however, might be able to stand up along the line of scrimmage, ala Jason Taylor in Miami....The Bungles did this a bit with David Pollack before his neck injury.

Carriker seems like the logical fit for the steelers...primarily because he is versatile, which is good for a team that has very little idea what defense it will be playing in 2-3 yrs.

Carriker is a guy that could fit in well with SF and with Alan Branch's stock sliding a bit...Carriker is a guy they might take a look at
coachspeak33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 07:40 AM   #10
coachspeak33
Banned

Member Number: 2231

Pozluzny is another with versatility whose attributes could translate to a 3-4 or 4-3:
coachspeak33 is offline   Reply With Quote