Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 04-24-2007, 12:18 AM   #1
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,226 Times in 2,678 Posts
Default Cowher May Never Coach Again

do i believe this? hes happy now, but regardless his words have just earned him atleast another $250,000/ (maybe a mil) year with his new club. the price will definitely stay high for his services.
all i know, is i would say some pretty crazy things about my own momma for $250,000 (or so) a year.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07113/780259-66.stm

Quote:
Cowher content with his new life
Monday, April 23, 2007

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Bill Cowher will not have a say in the Steelers' draft for the first time in 16 years, although he will be close by this week.

Cowher will arrive in Pittsburgh tomorrow from his home in Raleigh, N.C., to take care of some business capped Friday night when he receives the History Makers Award for Leadership at the Westin Convention Center Hotel. The award is presented by the Senator John Heinz History Center.

By the time the draft starts at noon Saturday, Cowher will be on his way back to Raleigh. And, no, he has not been asked for any advice about prospects by his former co-workers with the Steelers.

"No. Are you kidding me?" he asked.

The former Steelers coach does not know what he will do with himself when the draft starts Saturday without him for the first time since he entered NFL coaching in 1985 with the Cleveland Browns. He'll either watch on TV or travel to Charlotte, N.C., where his youngest daughter, Lindsay, will compete in an AAU basketball tournament.

Life is good these days for Cowher, who resigned as coach of the Steelers after last season. So good, in fact, that he said he could envision never coaching again.

"I'm staying very open-minded," said Cowher, who turns 50 May 8. "I never want to say never because that can come back and haunt you. But I can foresee not coming back ever. I just won't etch it in stone."

He has discovered that after nearly four months away from the game, he does not miss it yet and is happy with his decision to step away from football.

"I'm very happy," Cowher said. "I don't second-guess it at all. I guess it has reaffirmed more than anything, being down here. I still haven't experienced a whole season or August when training camp's going on. But I feel great.

"I have really enjoyed spending time with Kaye and Lindsay. It's been good, you know? I realized it was much needed after I got down here. I didn't know what it would entail, didn't know what you're going to do. I can honestly say it's gone much smoother than I anticipated."

Cowher, an incessant racquetball player, has found some new partners in Raleigh, although they are working stiffs so they play at 6:30 a.m. three times a week. On days he's not playing, he drives Lindsay to school. He plays golf.

"What do I do during the day? I don't know. Every day is different. My wife and I are doing things we haven't done before, and we're actually getting along doing it. We went to Charleston, S.C. and Beaufort, S.C., which was really kind of neat."

He has talked to Dan Rooney to congratulate him on his Dapper Dan Lifetime Achievement Award, and to his former partner in the draft, Kevin Colbert, the Steelers' director of football operations, but little about football.

"I saw some of the mock drafts, I've kept up with it a little bit," Cowher said. "I might watch it, or I might fly down to Charlotte.

"I guess I feel no different now than the day I retired. It's been good. The weather's been good."

Will he return to coach in a year or two, as many have speculated?

"I don't have any plans right now, honestly," Cowher said. "I'm looking forward to the fall and doing the thing with CBS. It's not going to take up a lot of time."

And that's something Cowher has plenty of these days.
Old 04-24-2007, 12:23 AM   #2
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Default Re: Cowher May Never Coach Again

I wonder if he'll pull a Vermeil and just take a very long (17 years?) sabbatical from the NFL coaching grind. He has the same type of wearing-his-heart-on-his-sleeve personality as Vermeil.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 12:33 AM   #3
tony hipchest

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
I wonder if he'll pull a Vermeil and just take a very long (17 years?) sabbatical from the NFL coaching grind. He has the same type of wearing-his-heart-on-his-sleeve personality as Vermeil.
hmmm. that really isnt that far fetched. he will get bored and the bank account could start to dwindle. he could give it up for good, and after 5 years be offered a deal like vermiel, or gibbs, and decide hes got that itch back.

i still think hes back within 2 years, and anything he says regarding his current happines and being content, just raises the asking price.
Old 04-24-2007, 12:39 AM   #4
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370

He'll be the head coach and GM of the Cleveland Clowns after they tank this year.

He was handed a good team when he became Steelers HC in 1992.I think he'd be too intruiged to not take the chance to turn around one of the worst orginizations in football.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 12:40 AM   #5
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
i still think hes back within 2 years, and anything he says regarding his current happines and being content, just raises the asking price.
I agree - that snooty wife of his might drive him nuts too, especially after his youngest is finally out of the house. Yeesh.
Old 04-24-2007, 12:41 AM   #6
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
I agree - that snooty wife of his might drive him nuts too, especially after his youngest is finally out of the house. Yeesh.
ROTFL...
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 12:46 AM   #7
tony hipchest

Quote:
yeah, him hanging with the missuz isnt gonna last too long once the final chick leaves the nest-

Quote:
"What do I do during the day? I don't know. Every day is different. My wife and I are doing things we haven't done before, and we're actually getting along doing it. We went to Charleston, S.C. and Beaufort, S.C., which was really kind of neat."
doing stuff with the wife is "kind of neat"? LMAO. dont worry bill. a coaching seat awaits you when that shit isnt quite as "kinda neat"

his words definitely make more dollars with his potential suitors, than it does score points with the wife.
Old 04-24-2007, 12:57 AM   #8
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
yeah, him hanging with the missuz isnt gonna last too long once the final chick leaves the nest-

doing stuff with the wife is "kind of neat"? LMAO. dont worry bill. a coaching seat awaits you when that shit isnt quite as "kinda neat"

his words definitely make more dollars with his potential suitors, than it does score points with the wife.
They do seem to be quite the mismatch personality-wise - kinda like a marriage between Ed Norton and Leona Helmsley would be. I wonder if she's always been like that, or just became a snob after they got rich? If she's always been like that, I don't see how they got together in the first place. I'll never forget her comment about getting the "Pittsburgh accent" outta Bill.
Old 04-24-2007, 01:23 AM   #9
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Hey...

as long as she was able to take care of the house so that he could coach for 15 years....

I am not going to complain.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 07:16 AM   #10
Buzz05
Team Captain

Member Number: 2482

Quote:
They do seem to be quite the mismatch personality-wise - kinda like a marriage between Ed Norton and Leona Helmsley would be. I wonder if she's always been like that, or just became a snob after they got rich? If she's always been like that, I don't see how they got together in the first place. I'll never forget her comment about getting the "Pittsburgh accent" outta Bill.
Hmmm I never knew she was a snob. I guess I never really paid that much attention to her.

And whats wrong with the Pittsburgh Accent? Huh Kay?
Buzz05 is offline   Reply With Quote