Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 04-24-2007, 05:49 PM   #1
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,667 Times in 2,620 Posts
Default Vick No-Show For Congress Testimony

We are concerned about Ben speaking out on his relationship with his former coach, but in terms of a QB who is exhibiting real lifestyle issues, Michael Vick first had the "jewelry storage" Aquafina bottle seized in Miami and now this:

Falcons quarterback Michael Vick was a no-show a Capitol Hill breakfast Tuesday at which he was to speak to some members of Congress about the need to increase funding for after school programs.

Vick's publicist said he missed a connection in Atlanta and couldn't get on a later flight. But a spokesman for AirTran, which Vick has an endorsement deal with, said Vick was confirmed on a late Monday night flight to Washington, D.C., and did not show up for the flight....

AirTran's Hutcheson said Vick was re-booked on a 10:50 p.m. flight from Atlanta to Washington-Reagan and was notified of the change in flight arrangements. Vick did not show for the flight and it left for Washington without him and with about 20 empty seats, Hutcheson said. Vick was unavailable for comment.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sp...ickflight.html

No better way to rehab your image than blowing off an appearance before Congress where you allegedly plan to speak up for school kids.

Maybe Vick is just tired of dealing with airport security
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 05:56 PM   #2
steveironcity
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 1135
Default Re: Vick No-Show For Congress Testimony

Overrated, A bad liar Disrespecful? A winning combo!!!!

Steelers- 6 time Super Bowl Champions
Pirates- 5 time World Series Champions
Penguins- 3 time Stanley Cup Champions
Panthers- 9 time National Champions
steveironcity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 06:14 PM   #3
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Michael Vick cares about Michael Vick and that's all that Michael Vick cares about.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 08:00 PM   #4
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 4,261 Times in 1,599 Posts

He was stoned and he missed it.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 09:01 PM   #5
ATL
Water Boy

Member Number: 3339

Vick was scheduled to arrive in Washington on Monday night after playing in teammate Warrick Dunn's charity golf tournament in Tampa. His flight from Tampa to Atlanta on AirTran departed late, causing him to miss his 8:35 p.m. connecting flight to Washington-Reagan National Airport

Yea what a thug...
ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 10:27 AM   #6
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL View Post
Vick was scheduled to arrive in Washington on Monday night after playing in teammate Warrick Dunn's charity golf tournament in Tampa. His flight from Tampa to Atlanta on AirTran departed late, causing him to miss his 8:35 p.m. connecting flight to Washington-Reagan National Airport

Yea what a thug...
He blew off a PR appearance before Congress because he did not care to hang around Hartsfield for a later flight - that is a little more than missing a flight and being unable to catch a later flight either later that evening or on the 6 a.m. early bird the next morning. If you want to quote from the story I cited it would seem fair to quote the whole story rather than only the parts that appear to make it nothing more than missing a connecting flight and no later flights being available (the initial false cover story that Vick's spokesman lied about).

Even AJC reporter Terence Moore (since I assume you live in ATL you presumably know Moore will never be accused of piling on when it comes to calling out black athletes) thinks this is more than just a matter of a missed flight.

Shame on Vick, again

This time, Vick missed a flight to Washington D.C. Monday night for a function he was scheduled to attend early the next morning. The function was to feature U.S Congressmen, along with more than 100 folks associated with an advocacy group to raise the awareness for funding of after-school programs.

Not good.

You add all of that to the water bottle thing and the Ron Mexico thing, and you have another disastrous PR thing for the Falcons involving Vick.

http://www.ajc.com/blogs/content/sha...on_vick_a.html
Old 04-25-2007, 11:34 AM   #7
ATL
Water Boy

Member Number: 3339

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
He blew off a PR appearance before Congress because he did not care to hang around Hartsfield for a later flight - that is a little more than missing a flight and being unable to catch a later flight either later that evening or on the 6 a.m. early bird the next morning. If you want to quote from the story I cited it would seem fair to quote the whole story rather than only the parts that appear to make it nothing more than missing a connecting flight and no later flights being available (the initial false cover story that Vick's spokesman lied about).

Even AJC reporter Terence Moore (since I assume you live in ATL you presumably know Moore will never be accused of piling on when it comes to calling out black athletes) thinks this is more than just a matter of a missed flight.

Shame on Vick, again

This time, Vick missed a flight to Washington D.C. Monday night for a function he was scheduled to attend early the next morning. The function was to feature U.S Congressmen, along with more than 100 folks associated with an advocacy group to raise the awareness for funding of after-school programs.

Not good.

You add all of that to the water bottle thing and the Ron Mexico thing, and you have another disastrous PR thing for the Falcons involving Vick.
Its kind of funny that no one wanted to bring up that he was going to help to talk about raising after school funding until his flight got delayed which made him miss his other flight. If I was him I wouldn't want to stick around airport either, I mean its not like he is a high profile athlete or anything.
ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 11:44 AM   #8
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,057 Times in 2,604 Posts

Quote:
. If I was him I wouldn't want to stick around airport either, I mean its not like he is a high profile athlete or anything.
he couldve easilly chartered a limo to the nearest strip club for a few hours and then return
Old 04-25-2007, 11:46 AM   #9
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
he couldve easilly chartered a limo to the nearest strip club for a few hours and then return
Pacman Jones revisited?
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 12:00 PM   #10
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Quote:
Its kind of funny that no one wanted to bring up that he was going to help to talk about raising after school funding until his flight got delayed which made him miss his other flight. If I was him I wouldn't want to stick around airport either, I mean its not like he is a high profile athlete or anything.
Yeah - having to fly commercial is such a burden for someone of Vick's stature. Assuming he did not need to dip into his Aquafina bottle, he could hang in the Delta Crown Room or whatever the Air Tran equivalent is for an hour. He has, at least for now, an endorsement deal with AirTran (which, in another brilliant move, his handlers attempted to throw under the bus in an effort to excuse his absence). I doubt AirTran would make him sit in a plastic chair in Concourse C to wait for boarding. He missed his 8:35 connection and the next flight left at 10:40 - by Hartsfield standards a wait of that length is the blink of an eye for any mature adult, although perhaps an eternity for Mr. Mexico.

Rest assured that the PR machine was ready to roll with Vick's breakfast with the Congress folks to urge more money for schoolkids. Unfortunately, his PR folks did not account for the fact Vick blew off the photo op because he has the maturity level and attention span of a 16 year old. Vick is doing for Arthur Blank's investment in the Falcons what Bob Nardelli did for Blank's Home Depot stock.