Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 09-04-2005, 06:19 PM   #1
tootalltoscore
Draft Prospect
Supporter

Member Number: 358
Default Ben in 2nd season

I have read a lot on the forum and other places online about the concerns of Ben both preseason and the end of last seaon/playoffs. One question that keeps coming back to me is just what would you guys have been saying if Ben had had a TD in every preseason game so far. Please believe like myself, stop being negative.

So, as I really believe that he can come through here are my thoughts.

First the Steelers are a ground dominating team, time of possession (34:00) the best in the NFL last season, historically the Steelers have played their best football with this scenario. Ben actually adds another dimension to this as he is such an accomplished runner himself.

Second, ok so we do not have the leagues best WR corp, teams know we are going to predominantly run the football, but we do have two potentially lethal aerial threats in Hines Ward and Heath Miller, defences cannot cover everyone all the time. Ben needs to read the situation on the field and complete perhaps in as few as 1 in 6 attempts, I'm expecting runs in 4 of 6 attempts. The team really could have done with Plax staying as he provided a good balanced attack but at the end of the day he was selfish, he wanted money and not a ring, had he been here and with Heath Miller we would have had a truly awe inspiring offence. Even with his constant whining.

Third, as a rookie he did a great job, not too much playbook, things kept simple as he came in far earlier than expected, but he proved he could do the job, he claims that he wants to be known as the best quarterback ever, a lofty thought indeed. He is, I believe, at the moment really struggling to live up to his own billing, he needs some help from someone - even perhaps a shrink - he is the player, he thinks he is, but, needs confirmation from someone that he trusts and believes. Losing Plax may have affected Ben more than we know. Overall in the Steeler scheme of things he does not have to attempt anything that is record breaking, it will come as he develops and as the team adds the important cog of another decent WR to open up the offence.

Finally, although this seems a negative stat at first glance, it sums up my thoughts as to why Ben will overcome any problems, this comment http://www.thefantasyfootballtimes.c...t.aspx?CID=185 under heading Rookie Sensations at bottom of piece, merely confirms that Ben will not be throwing his way into the record books this coming season, therefore interceptions will be kept down and his confidence will be intact.

ps You guys do not know me, but most of my friends consider me to be the most pessimistic person they know, in spite of this I really, really believe that we have someone special for at least the next 12 years - god willing - who will give us 3 Superbowl rings.

pps We really owe Coach Cowher big time for drafting this guy to our favourite team, when all around were screaming for us to take Shawn Andrews.
tootalltoscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 08:29 PM   #2
Koopa
Living Legend

Member Number: 508
Default Re: Ben in 2nd season

good post, the reason i ain't to worried about ben is because everytime they showed a steelers game down here, he was always a second half qb, and in the preseason he didn't play in the second half so he couldn't really show us what he's going to be like. hopefully ARE and wilson will give him some help and catch the ball. ARE always seem to want to run before the ball is fully secured and wilson well i didn't see much cause i only got to see two preseason games here, and in the first game against the eagles the defense and special teams kept scoring so the first string offense didn't really get to play. also i hope heath miller will get into the action a lot too he showed us he can do it this past week, and we all know ward is going to get his. so i don't think we should be to worried about ben until maybe week 3 if he's still looks like he did in the preseason.
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 08:53 PM   #3
Blitzburgh55
Starter

Member Number: 481

i aint worried at about ben i think he will have a great year

Cant Touch This
A New Year. A New Ring. A New Hand.
Blitzburgh55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 09:52 PM   #4
bigbensgirl7
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 292

I agree...Ben will be fine! Great post Total
Old 09-04-2005, 10:07 PM   #5
Prosdo
Banned

Member Number: 86

Very good post total. I'm not worried about Ben. I said this in another thread he just needs to relax a little and remember he can play this game well. I think once he gets into the regular season he will be fine.
Prosdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 11:02 PM   #6
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

Member Number: 70

All Ben needs to remember is.. Stay cool, dont get excited, and use the weapons around him and he'll be fine.
BlitzburghRockCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 11:29 PM   #7
Stlrs4Life
Tailgate Coordinator
Supporter

Member Number: 419
My Mood: Bored

Ben needs to regain the confidence in himself. It seems like he is putting too much pressure on himself. Remember, we are a run oriented team first. It all starts at our OL. We go as far as that. That's where my worries are.

It's not just Steeler Football, it's a way of Life! "I'm a Champion"
Stlrs4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 11:48 PM   #8
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

Member Number: 70

Good call !!!

Im wondering also if the fact that Ken W. has decided to open up the offense more for Ben is translating into all the added pressure he's displaying on the field so far.
BlitzburghRockCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 11:51 PM   #9
Koopa
Living Legend

Member Number: 508

i think that could be, because he asked for it to be open and he's to busy thinking about proving to the media he can play rather then just focusing on what he has to do to get the W and not worrying what espn analyst think.
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 12:00 AM   #10
SteelerSal
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 467

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity

Im wondering also if the fact that Ken W. has decided to open up the offense more for Ben is translating into all the added pressure he's displaying on the field so far.

BINGO!!! I think you nailed it. Makes sense to me.
SteelerSal is offline   Reply With Quote