Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 04-29-2007, 01:01 AM   #1
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,216 Times in 2,675 Posts
Default It Is Important To Keep In Mind...

...that no matter how bad it appears our draft sucked that it is a 15-1 team and then a SB champion team that we are working with here.

our 8-8 season, and missing the playoffs, can easilly be attributed to a head coach who folded his arms on the sidelines and frequently looked at the Jumbotron. a lack of emotion and fire (or what non steelerfans simply call flying saliva and a jutting jaw) is the culprit , not the players we currently have on the roster.

while it is not yet known how far Tomlin can hock a loogie, the reason for our demise has been let go (along with his beer drinking bandits) and the new regime is expected to return us to prominence.

let us not expect a rookie head coach, who is in the bottom third of coaches salaries, to simply work miracles, but trust the rooneys and colbert to know what they are doing... like we always have.
Old 04-29-2007, 01:10 AM   #2
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,329 Times in 1,419 Posts
Default Re: It Is Important To Keep In Mind...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
...that no matter how bad it appears our draft sucked that it is a 15-1 team and then a SB champion team that we are working with here.

our 8-8 season, and missing the playoffs, can easilly be attributed to a head coach who folded his arms on the sidelines and frequently looked at the Jumbotron. a lack of emotion and fire (or what non steelerfans simply call flying saliva and a jutting jaw) is the culprit , not the players we currently have on the roster.

while it is not yet known how far Tomlin can hock a loogie, the reason for our demise has been let go (along with his beer drinking bandits) and the new regime is expected to return us to prominence.

let us not expect a rookie head coach, who is in the bottom third of coaches salaries, to simply work miracles, but trust the rooneys and colbert to know what they are doing... like we always have.
it still doesn't change the fact that we've lost players and will be loosing more players in the next year, and i don't see them working on plan B.

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 01:20 AM   #3
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,216 Times in 2,675 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
it still doesn't change the fact that we've lost players and will be loosing more players in the next year, and i don't see them working on plan B.
that wouldnt be the case if cowher woulda spit more and folded his arms less, last year.

blame cowher. its the convinient option. cowher was never known for working on "plan B".

or we could blame colbert or art II
Old 04-29-2007, 02:36 AM   #4
OX1947
Living Legend

Member Number: 723
Thanked 1,043 Times in 550 Posts

I guess it was the guy folding his arms all year who was throwing 23 INTs and fumbling on special teams and at the worst times in the ball game. Its fans like you that probably added to Cowher retiring. The guy was one of the best winners in football despite free agent loses after free agent loses and a tight budget, yet, because he had players riding motorcycles and crashing in the off season, Cowher is to blame for going 8-8.
OX1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 07:41 AM   #5
LambertIsGod58
Team President

Member Number: 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by OX1947 View Post
I guess it was the guy folding his arms all year who was throwing 23 INTs and fumbling on special teams and at the worst times in the ball game. Its fans like you that probably added to Cowher retiring. The guy was one of the best winners in football despite free agent loses after free agent loses and a tight budget, yet, because he had players riding motorcycles and crashing in the off season, Cowher is to blame for going 8-8.

I have to agree...I am very upset with this year's draft. Leon Hall was still there at 15. We go LB...what a big surprise! We won't improve from 8-8, everyone will see.

"Life is a journey and you never arrive" Chuck Noll 1969-91
LambertIsGod58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 08:55 AM   #6
ExtonSteelFan
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 1867

How can you predict how well we do this season? Hell, I bet 95% of you guys that are claiming another 8-8 season (or worse) next year were also the one's claiming a repeat SB in '06! Look how that one turned out!

Besides that fact, I'm not so sure we need another CB anyway. So what if leon hall was still on the board at 15, maybe Tomlin and the rest of the coaching staff have faith in the fact that Ike and McFadden are going to come around this year. Lets also not count out the nice extension Ike got last year as well. The guy has one bad year and everyone gets all up in arms about it. Furthermore, most every single mock draft I've seen had the Steelers picking a LB in the first round, besides SI saying it would be Revis. After our first two picks, I don't recall one single analyst saying it was a bad move. The only one that could be questionable is spaeth but even that is just questionable. I recall alot of people complaining about the fact that Heath wasn't involved in the game plans much last year. Maybe with the addition of Spaeth this will open up Heath as a more of a receiver and less of a blocker!
Old 04-29-2007, 09:09 AM   #7
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,822 Times in 2,690 Posts

A team should have a consistent draft day plan - either this draft is about filling needs or drafting the best player on the board.

The first 2 picks make sense if the Steelers believe their biggest need is OLB and this draft is about drafting for needs and not depth (which was the consensus as to what needed to be done this year)

Having defended the first 2 picks, the 3rd pick makes no sense as drafting for need - with Heath Miller the Steelers are set at TE for several years and have more pressing concerns at RB and OL. Of course it does not make sense as drafting the best player on the board either - Spaeth apparently is generally regarded as a second day pick. Just as Tomlin fell in love with Timmons (and could not keep his mouth shut about Revis at the press conference earlier this week, which probably hurt the ability to trade down) so it appears Tomlin is the likely suspect for wanting a Minnesota Gophers player.

It now is Tomlin's team - if a number of upcoming FAs are not signed after this draft he will get to deal with the consequences of these picks. After yesterday I have the sinking feeling Tomlin is like a kid out of college who gets a job together with a credit card and starts spending with no experience as to what has value or anyone who will rein him in.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 09:27 AM   #8
ExtonSteelFan
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 1867

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
A team should have a consistent draft day plan - either this draft is about filling needs or drafting the best player on the board.

The first 2 picks make sense if the Steelers believe their biggest need is OLB and this draft is about drafting for needs and not depth (which was the consensus as to what needed to be done this year)

Having defended the first 2 picks, the 3rd pick makes no sense as drafting for need - with Heath Miller the Steelers are set at TE for several years and have more pressing concerns at RB and OL. Of course it does not make sense as drafting the best player on the board either - Spaeth apparently is generally regarded as a second day pick. Just as Tomlin fell in love with Timmons (and could not keep his mouth shut about Revis at the press conference earlier this week, which probably hurt the ability to trade down) so it appears Tomlin is the likely suspect for wanting a Minnesota Gophers player.

It now is Tomlin's team - if a number of upcoming FAs are not signed after this draft he will get to deal with the consequences of these picks. After yesterday I have the sinking feeling Tomlin is like a kid out of college who gets a job together with a credit card and starts spending with no experience as to what has value or anyone who will rein him in.
Well, the only problem with that is Tomlin isn't the only one making decisions. Colbert and the Rooney's have just as much a hand in this draft as he does. I don't think the rest of the organization would blindly go along with Tomlin if they thought he was making bad decisions. Only time will tell though
Old 04-29-2007, 09:52 AM   #9
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,822 Times in 2,690 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtonSteelFan View Post
Well, the only problem with that is Tomlin isn't the only one making decisions. Colbert and the Rooney's have just as much a hand in this draft as he does. I don't think the rest of the organization would blindly go along with Tomlin if they thought he was making bad decisions. Only time will tell though
After the Donohoe/Cowher power struggle of the late 1990s, Colbert was brought in to defer to Cowher. To expect Colbert to suddenly become the take charge guy who will run personnel decisions is not in keeping with how he has acted previously. Add to that the Rooneys are pretty much doing anything to keep Tomlin comfortable during his first year (e.g. - Porter being booted to avoid the distraction of a holdout or Porter complaining about his contract if he stayed this year) and I think it is reasonable to say what Tomlin wants, Tomlin gets. I am not saying it may not be a good pick, but Tomlin has been busy excusing Timmons' physical shortcomings (height/weight/speed) for a pick that was not rated as highly by others as Tomlin rated him.

This is Tomlin's draft - he is 34 years old, has never been captain of the ship before, and has no rival power such as Cowher did when he came in to work with Donohoe in 1992 to provide a reality check.

As you say, time will tell, but there were some reaches yesterday.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 10:37 AM   #10
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by OX1947 View Post
No, but it is Cowher's fault for starting said QB when he had absolutely no business being on the field in the first place (Oakland game, anybody?) and then stubbornly refusing to pull him, even after throwing 2 pick sixes.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote