Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 04-29-2007, 09:27 PM   #1
TasmanianTroy271
Team Captain

Member Number: 544
Default First UDFA signed by the steelers

The Steelers signed Local Freak Jason Capizzi, an Offensive Tackle from IUP. Why do I call him a local freak? because the guy is 6'9" 317 pounds. This guy has all the physical needs to be the next Jonathan Ogden, but can he pull it together?

Link : http://pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbur.../s_505230.html
Old 04-29-2007, 10:30 PM   #2
jjpro11
Living Legend

Member Number: 3559
Default Re: First UDFA signed by the steelers

looks like palkos gone.. we do need to bring in a qb or two for camp.
jjpro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 11:23 PM   #3
Da Steeler Soprano
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 3285

Awesome pick up, and the reason I say that is casue I go to IUP so gotta represent.

"If I could live my life over I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." - Jack Lambert
Da Steeler Soprano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 11:26 PM   #4
Jeremy
Banned

Member Number: 2579

There are some solid I-AA and D2 players out there. It's a shame the NFL doesn't look harder at those kids.

Oh well.
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 11:27 PM   #5
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,124 Times in 2,631 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjpro11 View Post
looks like palkos gone.. we do need to bring in a qb or two for camp.
no we dont

and this UDFA is NOT the next ogden. ogden was a top pick. this guy wasnt even drafted. theres a reason.

nevertheless, its good to bring a potential project into camp. better than spending a 6th round pick on him, only to be cut.
Old 04-29-2007, 11:37 PM   #6
jjpro11
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
no we dont

and this UDFA is NOT the next ogden. ogden was a top pick. this guy wasnt even drafted. theres a reason.

nevertheless, its good to bring a potential project into camp. better than spending a 6th round pick on him, only to be cut.
they need a extra qbs at training camp for drills and such. we will bring in someone. it would have been cool to see a local guy.. but oh well.
Old 04-29-2007, 11:45 PM   #7
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,124 Times in 2,631 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjpro11 View Post
they need a extra qbs at training camp for drills and such. we will bring in someone. it would have been cool to see a local guy.. but oh well.
i think we still have "whats his name" and "so and so" for camp purposes. but yeah, we couldve drafted or picked up a local guy like gradkowski last year too, and ruined any potential chance for him to get any starting time.

if coulston were drafted by the steelers last year he'd be tossing balls in the back yard with our TE from perdue. i'd prefer the steelers not ruin any local guys career.
Old 04-29-2007, 11:53 PM   #8
jjpro11
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
i think we still have "whats his name" and "so and so" for camp purposes. but yeah, we couldve drafted or picked up a local guy like gradkowski last year too, and ruined any potential chance for him to get any starting time.

if coulston were drafted by the steelers last year he'd be tossing balls in the back yard with our TE from perdue. i'd prefer the steelers not ruin any local guys career.
if you say so.
Old 04-30-2007, 12:24 AM   #9
OneForTheToe
Living Legend

Member Number: 2408

I tend to agree we don't need any more QBs. Even though there is apparently an overhaul of the playbook, Frenchie still has more experience with the offense than would a free agent. Of course, they could bring someone in for reps, but whoever that is would really just be showcasing themselves for another team.

I never understood the QB pick last year. When you get down to your third QB, all you can hope for is that they can run the offense without making too many mistakes. You will have to rely on other parts of your team (running game, defense) to get you to victory. In other words some experience, (limited as it may be) helps. Frenchie will never be a starter, but he has been around long enough to have some experience here, and with the Rat Birds. If he ends up playing no doubt the outlook is bleak, but not as bleak as it would be with a rookie, who wasn't even good enough to be drafted by any team in seven rounds.
OneForTheToe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 12:36 AM   #10
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts

Two more...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Russell will join Steelers

Former Gophers running back Gary Russell said he was too anxious to sit and watch the NFL draft this weekend, so he went fishing instead.
By Chip Scoggins, Star Tribune
April 29, 2007 ? 9:45 PM

Former Gophers running back Gary Russell said he was too anxious to sit and watch the NFL draft this weekend, so he went fishing instead.

The fish weren't biting, but Russell landed a free-agent contract with the Pittsburgh Steelers on Sunday evening after going undrafted. The Steelers did not announce their free-agent signings, but Russell's agent, Alonzo Shavers, confirmed the deal.

Gophers wide receiver Logan Payne also signed a free-agent contract with the Seattle Seahawks. Tight end Matt Spaeth was the only Gophers player drafted, selected by the Steelers in the third round Saturday night.

While Spaeth is essentially guaranteed a roster spot with the Steelers, Russell remains a wild card. Once considered a potential top prospect, Russell flunked out of Minnesota last February, failed to gain re-admittance, did not play football during the 2006 season and had a disastrous showing at the NFL combine in February.

Russell said he has slimmed down to 217 pounds and once again promised to make good on a second chance.

"I told teams that whoever takes me is going to be real impressed," Russell said. "To me, the hard part is over. The waiting was hard. Now, I can do what I do best."

Russell said Cincinnati and Arizona also expressed interest in him. He said he chose to sign with Pittsburgh because the Steelers have thin depth at running back. Russell said he realized he probably had too many red flags for any team to draft him.

"I kind of knew that a team would get me for a cheaper price," he said.

Payne said more than a dozen teams called him after the draft. He said he felt comfortable with Seattle after visiting the team earlier this month. Payne said he believes he will make the team.

"I'm going to camp and I'm not coming home," he said.

Spaeth knew he was going to be drafted but wasn't sure which round. He visited the Steelers a few weeks ago and knew they were interested. On Sunday, he called it the "perfect" situation.

"It's a class organization," he said. "Coach [Mike] Tomlin has brought a lot of excitement, and it's a great city."

It's a tough one too, which matches Spaeth's personality. His pain tolerance became almost legendary during his career. He played the final three games this past season despite having a badly injured right shoulder that needed surgery because he wanted to help the Gophers reach a bowl game.

Pittsburgh seems to be an appropriate place to begin his NFL career.

"People have told me that," he said. "It worked out perfectly."
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Running Back | Junior | Minnesota
Gary Russell
Height: 5-103/8 | Weight: 229 | 40-Time: 4.77

Official Bio

Strengths:
Good size and bulk...A natural runner with great vision, patience and instincts...Is more quick than fast and has a burst...Runs hard and doesn't go down easily...He knows how to get in the endzone...Was very productive...Does not have a lot of mileage on his tires..Can return kicks and help on special teams...Still has upside.

Weaknesses:
Timed speed is well below average...His intelligence and work ethic are question marks...Is not very strong...Limited as a receiver...Has not played in a year...He never carried the load in college...Overweight and out of shape at the Combine.

Notes:
Backed up Laurence Maroney in 2005 and was set for a breakout season as the Gophers feature back in 2006 until he was forced to leave school due to his poor academics...Opted to go pro instead of getting his grades in order and applying for reinstatement...Was on pace to be a Day One pick and follow in the footsteps of Marion Barber and Maroney until he was sidetracked...Good player who could be a steal if he gets his head on straight...Terrific fit for a zone blocking scheme.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Stapleton to Pittsburgh

Stapleton was one of six finalists for the Rimington Trophy, given to the nation's top center. One of the anchors of a Rutgers offensive line that allowed the fewest sacks in the nation, Stapleton started all 25 games of his two-year career at Rutgers. He was awarded the David Bender Trophy, given annually to the top offensive lineman at Rutgers.

"It is a good fit for me," commented Stapleton. "I have played there before (at Heinz Field) and it's a chance for me to further my career. It's pretty exciting to go to Pittsburgh with Cam."

http://www.scarletknights.com/footba....asp?prID=5344

Center | Senior | Rutgers
Darnell Stapleton
Height: 6-3 | Weight: 285 | 40-Time: 5.20

Official Bio

Strengths:
Adequate height...Smart and aware...Hard worker with a good motor...Tough and plays with a nasty demeanor...Is technically sound...Has decent range and he will make plays in space as well as at the second level...Seems to still be improving.

Weaknesses:
Needs to get stronger...He does not have the type of bulk you look for...Has only two years of Division I experience...Is not overly powerful or explosive...He is not very athletic...Not real stout at the point of attack...Doesn't have a huge upside.
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote