Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 04-30-2007, 08:12 PM   #1
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478
Default What are your theories......

..........on the Michael Turner non-story this weekend?

I was sure that he had signed that deal in order to be traded to another team - especially when San Diego burnt all those picks to trade up for Weddle.

Will he be traded, but for a 2008 pick(s) - its rumored to be a stronger draft class and the Chargers are currently loaded at most positions and didnt have any impending contract negotiations with major players this year.

Will he stick in SD and spend another year behind one of the greatest RB's to ever play the game?

Your thoughts, ladies and gentlemen.
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 08:33 PM   #2
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,877 Times in 4,503 Posts
Default Re: What are your theories......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past View Post
..........on the Michael Turner non-story this weekend?

I was sure that he had signed that deal in order to be traded to another team - especially when San Diego burnt all those picks to trade up for Weddle.

Will he be traded, but for a 2008 pick(s) - its rumored to be a stronger draft class and the Chargers are currently loaded at most positions and didnt have any impending contract negotiations with major players this year.

Will he stick in SD and spend another year behind one of the greatest RB's to ever play the game?

Your thoughts, ladies and gentlemen.
i love theories, and definitely have plenty of them.

while, the randy moss talk clouded the headlines and the patriots "knobslobbing" commensed today, there was actually 30 seconds of talk set aside for the michael turner saga.

adam schein reported that the cowboys had offered their 1st round pick for turner. this nugget came from insider gil brandt, so im thinking its gold rather than rumor.

the chargers and aj smith made a point today to "officially" take turner off the trading block. it could be them posturing, but its obvious they had him over valued. bills took lynch, titans took henry, and the cowboys turned #22 into a possible top 5 pick next year and a. spencer (who they were going to draft at #22 anyways).

smith clearly overplayed his hand.

now the speculation is that the chargers believe this is their best chance to win it all and are not about to jeopardize that by trading the one who backs up their franchise and happy to hold on to turner as LT insurance. (sounds good, but its a nice way to save face if you ask me)
Old 04-30-2007, 08:54 PM   #3
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
i love theories, and definitely have plenty of them.

while, the randy moss talk clouded the headlines and the patriots "knobslobbing" commensed today, there was actually 30 seconds of talk set aside for the michael turner saga.

adam schein reported that the cowboys had offered their 1st round pick for turner. this nugget came from insider gil brandt, so im thinking its gold rather than rumor.

the chargers and aj smith made a point today to "officially" take turner off the trading block. it could be them posturing, but its obvious they had him over valued. bills took lynch, titans took henry, and the cowboys turned #22 into a possible top 5 pick next year and a. spencer (who they were going to draft at #22 anyways).

smith clearly overplayed his hand.

now the speculation is that the chargers believe this is their best chance to win it all and are not about to jeopardize that by trading the one who backs up their franchise and happy to hold on to turner as LT insurance. (sounds good, but its a nice way to save face if you ask me)
So you think that they will hold onto him?

I wonder how happy Turner is with that prospect now that has had the image of being a highly paid starter implanted in his head for the last few months?

Nornally a guy in the last year of his contract is playing to impress potential suitors, but in Turners position most of his work is done - he can only really lose value behind LT for another year - unless LT gets injured.

I have a feeling that if Turner goes it could kick start another trade with LJ leaving Kansas.
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 01:36 PM   #4
Crushzilla
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 5106

I also feel he's staying put for now.

As Tony said, they are pretty well set at all positions. The only pressing need was the secondary andthey hoped to have improved that.

I really don't see why they would now dump him off when they can have that lethal one-two punch. His value may drop before next year, but I doubt it. They really need to keep him around to ensure they have any sort of rushing attack if LT goes down.

They will probably look to shop him before the next draft if they find a glaring hole in their pretty solid line up.

True, he's still riding pine behind LT, but if it looks like he's going to be wearing some extra hardware come February, I doubt he will make much of a fuss.

I don?t know much about his character, but he could be playing for a team with no shot this year. He should be happy to get his goal line shots, stay healthy, maybe win one, and keep his value up for next year. Its better than being behind some pourous OLine and getting manhandled all year.

If they do win it all (and they won't) then his value will skyrocket. If it does, for some reason drop off the face of the earth... there is a black and gold jersey with his name on it...
Old 05-03-2007, 08:13 AM   #5
Crushzilla
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 5106

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports...2chargers.html

Quote:
By Kevin Acee
UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

May 2, 2007

He's back to being an insurance policy with a high premium, appreciated but not exalted.
Michael Turner is now officially the best player in the league that his team hopes doesn't start a game.

?I learned that teams really are interested in me,? Turner said of his foray into free agency and turn as trade bait. ?It's not just talk. It's for real. . . . There were more teams than what I thought.?

But that means nothing at the moment.

?My role hasn't changed since the first day I've been here,? he said yesterday. ?When I get the opportunity, I'll play, and hopefully I'll play well. I'm just helping out the team the way I can. With us winning and it's working, how can I complain??

But there is this hope for the near future, now that disassociating MT from LT has to wait: that Norv Turner somehow uses both of his running backs in some offensive sets.

?I would imagine they'll try to use me more since they only have me one more season (and are) paying a little more,? Michael Turner said. ?I would imagine they would use LT and me (together) more.?

The day after he learned he was here to stay ? General Manager A.J. Smith saying Turner will not be traded under any circumstance ? Turner spoke for the first time about his status. He had essentially been underground at his mother's home in Chicago.
Yesterday was Turner's second day back at the Chargers' complex after two months of waiting and wondering. He ran and lifted with teammates. Afterward, he expressed his contentment, all things considered.

?It was a win-win for me,? Turner said. ?I don't have a problem being in San Diego.?

So close to being a star, he has returned to being a role player. The only guarantee is that he will return kickoffs and carry the ball when LaDainian Tomlinson is tired.

But the low-key Turner knew this was a possibility, knew it was even probable after the Chargers demanded so much in return for his rights.

He is as happy as someone could be who has left about $13 million on the table ? to be picked up in a year, if all goes well.

Turner's high-pitched, infectious laugh filled the air throughout a 15-minute conversation. One day after Smith took him off the trade market, Turner said he is glad to be able ?to focus on football? again.

?I'm still on a championship-level team,? he said. ?This team is ready to win right now instead of going to a team that is possibly rebuilding. It would have been my show, I would have been the headliner or whatever, but that's not everything.

?Of course, every guy in this league looks forward to the day when they're the man and they're the one the team is depending on every week. Right now, I've just got to wait one more season.?

He will make $2.35 million this year.

?Who can complain about making seven figures?? he said.

Turner will turn 26 before the next free-agency period starts, though. A window of opportunity is getting smaller. He is not ecstatic about that, but neither is he upset. No one doubts the market for him will include many bidders in 2008. Another season like '06 ? 80 carries, 6.3 yards per ? and he'll be looking at $17 million or so up front.

?I haven't been playing,? he said. ?I don't have wear and tear on me. I just know the game. I know what to expect out of an NFL season.?

True enough. Turner has carried from scrimmage just 157 times in three seasons, fewer than 73 other backs in that span and not even a third as many times as most starting backs have carried by their 26th birthday.

Still, he takes his career average of 6 yards a carry into a second straight contract year, the risk of injury ever present in a violent game.

So, while he will make more than five times as much in 2007 as he did in '06, his lifestyle will not change. Not yet.

?It will probably change next year,? he said. ?I'll just save this year's money and not just blow it. Next year, I'll see what can I really afford. Some people might think it's guaranteed they're going to get $15 million next year. I don't think like that. You don't know what is going to happen day to day.?

And, barring disaster striking the league's MVP, Turner will be working for someone else in 2008. That is neither his fault nor the Chargers'. There is simply a big difference between the money he will get from someone in need of a No. 1 running back and someone who doesn't need such a back.

?They know they're not going to match anybody's offer,? Turner said. ?It ain't all about money. But there are going to be more opportunities out there for me.?

Well he's either staying put or A.J. Smith will want even more for him when Willis McGahee blows an ACL in camp...
Old 05-03-2007, 09:55 AM   #6
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370

I can see him going to the Browns after Jamal Lewis' single season in Cleveland is over.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote