Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 05-01-2007, 09:42 AM   #1
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370
Default What about Faneca?

The 2007 NFL Draft came and went Saturday and Sunday...and Alan Faneca is still a Pittsburgh Steeler.

I was personally hoping to trade him to Arizona for this year's second rounder and next year's second rounder.

Will we trade him before the season starts?

Will he play for Pittsburgh this year and leave after the season?

Will he sign an extension and finish his career a Pittsburgh Steeler?

I truly don't see us signing him to an extension.He's 31 and gonna be 32,and he's gonna want a lot of money.I feel that the money is better spent resigning Troy Polamalu and Ben Roethlisberger.

Not to mention Faneca seems to have some disdain for Mike Tomlin because he really wanted Russ Grimm to be the HC,or at least Whisenhut so Grimm would stay in Pittsburgh.

I also think we had a hard time trading him if we tried for the following reasons:

1. His friendship with Grimm has been well documented,so it looks like the Arizona Cardinals have a leg-up on conract negotiations if Faneca does become a FA.

2. His disapproval of Mike Tomlin has also been well documented.Maybe teams figured they have a better chance of getting him as a FA without giving up draft picks rather than give up draft picks and possibly lose him after the season anyhow.

There is also the posibility the Steelers turned down all trade offers because they feel he is worth more than what was offered or because they think they will resign him.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 10:08 AM   #2
steel58
Water Boy

Member Number: 2732
Default Re: What about Faneca?

I think the Steelers see where they are at the end of the year. If they can get their top priorities signed and see another Super Bowl probability, I think they will slap the franchise tag on Faneca. If not, they probably let him walk -- Or if something bizarre happens and they really **** at the beginning of the season, maybe they pull that rare in season trade for a draft pick
steel58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 10:16 AM   #3
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 5008

I think the time to trade him has come and gone when the first day of the draft ended late Saturday night. I believe that the Steelers number 1 priority going into camp this summer, will be getting Troy P. signed to a long term deal. Next season most likely will be Fanaca's last as a Steeler. There is NO WAY they sign him to a long term deal like the ones that Steinbach, Davis, ect., got this past off season, at Fanaca's age. I feel his play on the field was below his personal standards last season (despite being selected to another pro bowl), and if his play continues to decline, I don't think the Steelers FO will be all that upset to let him walk. Now on the other hand, if he rebounds, and has a typical dominating Alan Fanaca season, and the Steelers are able to get Troy under contract this summer, the Steelers could consider franchising Fanaca. A lot depends on how they would be progressing with resigning Big Ben at that point, and whether or not they have the cap room to pay Fanaca in the top 5% at his position for the 2008 season, but none the less it is still a short term option, if the FO wants to keep him around beyond 2007. Another option would be to franchise him, and then trade him. Either way, Fanaca is a pro going into his contract year. He is not happy with the current state of his contract, and I expect him to hold out, at least until the first pre season game, but I do not expect it to interfere with his play on the field once the games start to count.
1207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 10:25 AM   #4
Stainless Steel
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 4986

I was surprised that they didn't get much in O line in the draft. It would have been predictable to see us picking up some good talent in the draft to replace our older crew.

Rooney knows what's happening. Just trust in their judgment.

Stainless Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 10:39 AM   #5
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

I think next year is the year we draft big on the o-line.

Kemoeatu will probally start ar RG this season and beyong (he might not start in the season's begining,but by the end he will be.

Colon will challange Starks for the RT spot.

I am not sold on Essex as the LT that will protect Ben for many years in the future,nor do I think Smith is our guy at that position either.

Faneca,as i said in my prevous post,I think will be gone at the end of this season.

And our center dillema is still there.Mahan might be the C this year,but after Faneca is gone there is a chance he moves to LG to replace him.

I see us drafting LT in the first round and C/G in the second depending on what happens with Faneca and if Mahan moves to G to replace him.

Old 05-01-2007, 10:49 AM   #6
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 6,382 Times in 2,924 Posts

Given their deer in the headlights performance on Saturday (afraid Timmons may not last so don't trade down; we want a TE so let's draft one ASAP after we get 2 OLB candidates; the punter we want may not be on the board after the 4th round so let's get him now), I am glad they kept Faneca for one more year rather than trade him for a draft pick. They probably would have used the pick they received for Faneca to draft a placekicker or QB.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 11:05 AM   #7
Buzz05
Team Captain

Member Number: 2482

I know this probably will never happen. But if Arizona offered up Levi Brown for Faneca strait up...should we take it? It sures up the O-Line somewhat and it gets Faneca out of everyones hair...Just a thought
Buzz05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 11:27 AM   #8
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 6,382 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz05 View Post
I know this probably will never happen. But if Arizona offered up Levi Brown for Faneca strait up...should we take it? It sures up the O-Line somewhat and it gets Faneca out of everyones hair...Just a thought
If they make that offer they presumably will be glad to throw in Leinart, so we should demand Leinart be added if they call to offer a straight up swap of their #1 draft choice for an OL in his early 30s whom they figure they can sign next year.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 11:38 AM   #9
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
Given their deer in the headlights performance on Saturday (afraid Timmons may not last so don't trade down; we want a TE so let's draft one ASAP after we get 2 OLB candidates; the punter we want may not be on the board after the 4th round so let's get him now), I am glad they kept Faneca for one more year rather than trade him for a draft pick. They probably would have used the pick they received for Faneca to draft a placekicker or QB.
I don't think anyone wanted to trade into our spot,except for maybe Cleveland but I doubt they even called and asked.We were stuckt aking Timmons at 15 because there was nowhere else to go.

Old 05-01-2007, 01:12 PM   #10
Crushzilla
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 5106

If they offered us Levi straight up for Faneca then Wiz should get back into the booth and stick to calling plays