Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 05-01-2007, 09:47 PM   #1
siss
Team Captain

Member Number: 1611
Default Signs that Tomlin could be great...or... the Taming of Big Ben

In this new offense Ben will be calling the line protection. And I think thats great (Let the 6'5 guy in the middle tell the Big guys how to protect him!), but Ben will have to WATCH TAPE in order to learn defensive schemes and teams defensive habits. Or if my understanding of the process is right, he will have too (I could be wrong...its happend before!).

The biggest knock on Ben is 1. Bad work ethic and 2. He can't read a defense to save his life. By letting Ben call the offensive scheme's, Tomlin is forcing Ben to learn defensive schemes. And if he doesn't he will be sacked and possible hurt.

Also I'd like to note Cowher joked about Ben and his "love" for game film, while Tomlin gave Ben more responsibility and put it on his shoulders. Also Ben has admitted that things got to easy for him. So Tomlin challenged Ben.
Did Cowher ever do that? Or did he just make it easy for him and bore him?
I would be willing to bet that Ben loves a challenge and Tomlin did just that instead of joke with the media about his bad habit.

Thus further proof that Tomlin is THE MAN and the Rooney's made the right choice

He's ready, Steelers fans. His ordeal over, his return will be complete come Saturday in Arizona, when football again becomes the focus and a career briefly interrupted resumes.
~SI aticle 2006~
siss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 10:30 PM   #2
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370
Default Re: Signs that Tomlin could be great...or... the Taming of Big Ben

Cowher was afraid that he would put too much on Ben's lap,thinking his QB couldn't handle it.

By putting more responsibilites on Ben,Tomlin is going to see just how much he can handle.

I think Ben will handle it just fine.It will force him to do the things he has to do to be great.

By the end of his career,Ben Roethlisberger will be a HoF QB.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 10:44 PM   #3
The Duke
Living Legend

Member Number: 4800

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoethlisBURGHer View Post
Cowher was afraid that he would put too much on Ben's lap,thinking his QB couldn't handle it.

By putting more responsibilites on Ben,Tomlin is going to see just how much he can handle.

I think Ben will handle it just fine.It will force him to do the things he has to do to be great.

By the end of his career,Ben Roethlisberger will be a HoF QB.
Hall of famer or not i want him back the way he was before. yeah, maybe cowher didn't trusted ben enough, but he's entering his 4th year in the nfl, he knows the system, this challenge coach tomlin put on him will prove to be a benefit for the team.
The Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 12:12 AM   #4
ChronoCross
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 2201

For one, Ben will not be calling all the blocking schemes solo, Ben will be working along with the center to pick up blitzes and call out the schemes. It will not be like before were Hartings made all the scheme calls.

Before Bens injury there was nothing wrong with Ben and his progress was coming along just nicely. Now all the sudden he cannot read a defense, he has bad work ethics, and what ever else people say.

So Ben will spend more hours in the tape room with his center to talk about schemes.

Besides a few players and some injuries, the whole team was in laid back mode from the SB win even the Coach(retirement mode for the coach tho). Tomlin coming in to put some fire back under there butts is needed. So saying Ben had bad work ethics, when almost the whole team had bad work ethics this last season is kinda just singling one person out.

The whole team will have to work hard to rebound, not just Ben the whole team together as one.
ChronoCross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 12:21 AM   #5
siss
Team Captain

Member Number: 1611

I should probably clarify that when I list the things that are wrong with Ben Im just repeating what he is MOST critisized for.
I am almost positive that you can't go 27-4 without some hard work.

He's ready, Steelers fans. His ordeal over, his return will be complete come Saturday in Arizona, when football again becomes the focus and a career briefly interrupted resumes.
~SI aticle 2006~
siss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 12:25 AM   #6
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Thanked 1,148 Times in 427 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by siss View Post
I am almost positive that you can't go 27-4 without some hard work.
Nah, he was just fortunate to be able to play "game manager" on a good team. Of course, the same people who say this never seem to bother to explain the 6-10 record the team posted the year before he arrived....
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 12:27 AM   #7
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 9,469 Times in 3,939 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoCross View Post
For one, Ben will not be calling all the blocking schemes solo, Ben will be working along with the center to pick up blitzes and call out the schemes. It will not be like before were Hartings made all the scheme calls.

Before Bens injury there was nothing wrong with Ben and his progress was coming along just nicely. Now all the sudden he cannot read a defense, he has bad work ethics, and what ever else people say.

So Ben will spend more hours in the tape room with his center to talk about schemes.

Besides a few players and some injuries, the whole team was in laid back mode from the SB win even the Coach(retirement mode for the coach tho). Tomlin coming in to put some fire back under there butts is needed. So saying Ben had bad work ethics, when almost the whole team had bad work ethics this last season is kinda just singling one person out.

The whole team will have to work hard to rebound, not just Ben the whole team together as one.
great points, and i love the optimism of this thread, siss.

before ben was almost wiped from a football career or face of this earth, he was having his best camp and the coaching staff was clearly prepared to looen the reigns on the 3rd year pro. bens accident threw everyone off guard and stuck a monkeywrench in the plans.

however he finished the season with a 6-2 record that couldve possibly been 7-1 or 8-0 had st pierre not sold the offensive playbook to the ravens. bens accident is long behind him and the 6-2 finish should be proof of that. even the much heralded eli manning struggled in his 3rd year and that was without the benefit of a motorcycle accident, appendectomy before opening game, and an early concussion.

last year is last year and bens progression should be right on track with tomlin as coach. the confidence he is showing in ben despite last year, makes me feel good as a fan, and it should make ben and the rest of the players feel good as well. no sense on dwelling in the past when the future is at hand.
Old 05-02-2007, 12:35 AM   #8
ChronoCross
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 2201

Tony I do not know man;

Can someone say Cheese; Bens new breakfest bowl;
ChronoCross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 01:26 AM   #9
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,886 Times in 1,653 Posts

who said ben had bad work ethics? cowher? espn? college coach?.....

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 08:17 AM   #10
TackleMeBen
Southern Belle
Supporter

Location: where all the cute men are(especially the one in my avatar)
Member Number: 4435

I think the whole team needs a new challenge. Mikey T is just the man to do that! Maybe now with Ben having to learn defensive schemes, he wont be the first one out anymore.

I think his bad work ethic stemmed from a player saying something to the media and then the media running with it. We all know how the media blows everything out of the water!

I highly doubt that Mikey T will let Ben slide this season. I think he came here to win a SB and prove that he was the 'right' guy for the job.

In memory of my brother Michael, who gave me my love of sports. I will miss you!
TackleMeBen is offline   Reply With Quote