Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 09-04-2005, 10:29 AM   #1
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302
Default Corners ???

We have been mediocre if not weak, at the cornerback position now for at least 5 years. Each draft I hope for a first round corner, or at very least a damn good free agent. Will this pattern continue? If third year Ike Taylor, or second year Ricardo Coclough, cant beat out an old Willie Williams, or average Deshea Townsend. And McFadden has been seen much. Will we continue to suffer at the corners? They way we use Troy at Safety, they dont always have deep backup. So we need corners that can cover man on man. I just dont see it. Iwas really hoping that Ike or Coc were the real deal. But I`m not sure now.
Old 09-04-2005, 10:51 AM   #2
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

Member Number: 70
Default Re: Corners ???

I think the reason Willie is still the starting CB for us that not only is he in great shape and can still do the job, but also that Coc and Ike are still learning. Coc came from Tusculum so the competition he faced wasn't that spectacular and Ike never even played CB till he got to the STeelers. One of them will beat out willie at some point. I think we are in a wait and see w/ Mcfadden, taylor, and coc..we'vespent alot of draft picks over the last few years on CB's so now they wanna see what they can do
BlitzburghRockCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 10:52 AM   #3
SteelerSal
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 467

I dont think we are that bad. If you look around the league thier arent to many true cover corners out there.
I'm not to concerned with the position.
SteelerSal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 11:50 AM   #4
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerSal
I dont think we are that bad. If you look around the league thier arent to many true cover corners out there.
I'm not to concerned with the position.
I`m not looking for true cover corners! Just descent cover corners! Corner is a young mans position, if you wait to long before they pan out, then thier career is just about up. Ike with three years in, either he is capable or he isnt.
Old 09-04-2005, 12:01 PM   #5
SteelerSal
Draft Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevestinks
I`m not looking for true cover corners! Just descent cover corners! Corner is a young mans position, if you wait to long before they pan out, then thier career is just about up. Ike with three years in, either he is capable or he isnt.
If I remember reading somewhere Ike was a RB in college until his last year then he played corner.
The team knew he was a project. I beleive this will be his make or break year.
Old 09-04-2005, 12:04 PM   #6
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerSal
If I remember reading somewhere Ike was a RB in college until his last year then he played corner.
The team knew he was a project. I beleive this will be his make or break year.
I do agree that it will be a make or break year. And if you go way back, I was the biggest Ike supporter there was. But its now time to crap or get off the pot.
Old 09-04-2005, 12:09 PM   #7
SteelerSal
Draft Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevestinks
I do agree that it will be a make or break year. And if you go way back, I was the biggest Ike supporter there was. But its now time to crap or get off the pot.

I agree, when we got him I told people that he would be our next "Rod Woodson", oops.
Old 09-04-2005, 12:17 PM   #8
Koopa
Living Legend

Member Number: 508

i think we are just fine for now, i think mcfadden is going to be awesome, i love corners that ain't afraid to knock the hell out of you. i read that his first year i think, that he paralyzed some dude for a little while, now that's a hitter. i also like ricardo he should take over by week 4 IMO. to me bill cowher is just going to the safe route and starting willie cause he has more experince right now, but once ricardo starts playing more then just the nickle he'll improve and take his spot. mcfadden probably won't get a real chance to shine till next season, but it'll be worth the wait. and for all we know ike might just have that break out year and dominate and take townsend spot before the season is done. the only thing i'm worried about on this team is are wrs corp. i hope gibson lands on the ps so he can learn more and then be brought up later in the season when he has a better handle on the offense, and i hope nate moves up to at least the fourth option cause mays is garbage to me, 11 catches in 3 years, wtf is that? so all in all i don't think we should worry to much about what we have at corner unless mcnair lights us up sunday.
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 07:45 AM   #9
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

King I do hope that you are right about our corners! McNair and co. will be a huge test for us.
Old 09-05-2005, 08:47 AM   #10
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

Member Number: 70

Lets hope McFadden is the next Rod Woodson and not the next Chad Scott !! Scott was a risk taker, with good speed but he just didnt have the instincts and ability to hang 1on1 w/ the top receivers.

McFadden is a big hitter, with good hands and good speed..he's got all the tools so its going to be exciting to watch him develop.
BlitzburghRockCity is offline   Reply With Quote