Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 09-04-2005, 01:00 AM   #1
Koopa
Living Legend

Member Number: 508
Default Rice makes Broncos roster, but will he stay on?

what would ya'll do if ya'll were him? i think i'd retire, i wouldn't want to be the last option after having a hall of fame career and always be hearing how i used to be great and I kind of feel sorry for him, it seems like he doesn't know what to do with himself that's why he's continuing to play.

Quote:
Jerry Rice was informed Saturday that he made the Broncos roster, but he is being given time to consider retirement if he doesn't want to be Denver's last option at receiver.

Rice is going to take the next couple of days to decide if he wants to play a 21st season. Rice left Denver on Saturday afternoon to contemplate his future and will return within the next day or two.

"Jerry is still on the roster, but he is going to take a few days to think about what he wants to do," said his agent, Jim Steiner. "The Broncos want him to be on the roster, but this might not be the role he would want. He'll have to make a decision in the next couple of days."

Darius Watts' strong performance in Friday night's 30-21 preseason victory over Arizona won him the No. 3 job behind Rod Smith and Ashley Lelie. Rice had moved ahead of Watts on the depth chart earlier in camp, but Watts' recent push changed the team's thinking.

In fact, Charlie Adams is expected to challenge Watts for the No. 3 job. Adams has been cut a couple times, and he's catching the ball well after getting contact. It will be hard for Rice to justify playing behind Watts and Adams, although surely Shanahan wouldn't let him be the No. 5 receiver and not suit up.

At 42, Rice has said this would be his final season. Should he not want to be a Bronco, he likely will retire. He did not want to retire in February, so the Seahawks gave him his release. The Broncos signed him and gave him a chance to be a backup.

Tailback Quentin Griffin, the opening-day starter for Denver last season, was the most surprising of the 19 cuts the Broncos made Saturday to reach the 53-man roster limit. The fourth-round draft pick in 2003 was released, along with receiver Triandos Luke, quarterback Matt Mauck and defensive linemen Dorsett Davis and Mario Fatafehi.

Davis was a third-round pick in 2002 and Fatafehi was a starter last season who was injured through much of training camp.

Griffin rehabbed from knee surgery and was listed fourth on the depth chart this summer behind Mike Anderson, Tatum Bell and Ron Dayne. Many thought when the Broncos released Maurice Clarett, Griffin's spot was secure.

But Denver kept Cecil Sapp, who can play both fullback and tailback, and the Broncos also chose to keep six receivers on the roster -- giving longshot Todd DeVoe a spot after an impressive camp that saw him rise from ninth on the depth chart.

Griffin opened last season with a 156-yard game against Kansas City and started the first four games, but lost his starting job after hurting his ankle in the fifth week against Tampa Bay. Two games later, he tore ligaments in his knee and was lost for the season.

"I was surprised, but it's part of the business," Griffin told the Broncos' Web site. "You've got to keep on moving."

Fatafehi started all 16 games at tackle for the Broncos last season, but he got caught up in a numbers game created when Denver brought in four veteran linemen from Cleveland, including Courtney Brown, and traded for 49ers end John Engelberger. All four of the former Browns made the roster, as did end Marco Coleman, who is going into his 14th season.

The rest of the cuts were: defensive backs Jeremy LeSueur and Curome Cox; defensive linemen Anton Palepoi and Aaron Hunt; running back Brandon Miree; linebackers Terry Pierce and Jashon Sykes and offensive linemen Tyson Clabo, Anthony Clement, Ben Nowland, Erik Pears, Chris Watton, Zach Wilson and Chris Myers.
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 08:16 AM   #2
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302
Default Re: Rice makes Broncos roster, but will he stay on?

He has had a Stellar career. What else is there to do after retirement? I say play, I would they would have to throw me out. What is wrong with being a fifth receiver. It is not shamful he is Jerry Rice.
Old 09-04-2005, 09:25 AM   #3
LambertIsGod58
Team President

Member Number: 410

Jerry Rice is the best receiver to play the game...that's a given. To have his leadership and experience on my team would be welcomed. Look what he did for a young Terrell Owens. I think can still play. I think alot of people are on the bandwagon of getting him out of the NFL. For what reason I do not know. He's in his early 40's. So many people expect him to play as if he was in his prime. To be a receiver in todays NFL at 42 YOA to me is an achievement in itself.

"Life is a journey and you never arrive" Chuck Noll 1969-91
LambertIsGod58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 01:13 PM   #4
Prosdo
Banned

Member Number: 86

He definitely as you said is the best receiver. If he wants to play and still has the physical ability by all means go for it. He'll leave the game when he's ready and I don't see the need some people have to rush him out.
Prosdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 08:11 PM   #5
CantStop85
Living Legend

Member Number: 486

Quote:
Originally Posted by LambertIsGod58
Look what he did for a young Terrell Owens.
Somehow I just don't think he would consider that the highlight of his career.
CantStop85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 09:27 PM   #6
SteelR1
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 512

Play like youv'e never played before Jerry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

At first I was all for him retiring because of everything he said he would miss with his family. If HE wants to play and CAN play, then he SHOULD play!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-04-2005, 09:59 PM   #7
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

Member Number: 70

Rice is the greatest WR ever..he's just playing still because he loves the game. But if I were him, I'd have retired too. Nothing left to prove.
BlitzburghRockCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 12:55 PM   #8
Prosdo
Banned

Member Number: 86

Broncos | Rice Retires from NFL
Mon, 5 Sep 2005 10:38:12 -0700

Updating ongoing reports, during a press conference Monday, Sept. 5, Denver Broncos WR Jerry Rice, the league's all-time leading receiver, officially announced his retirement from the NFL. Rice played for the San Francisco 49ers, Oakland Raiders, Seattle Seahawks and was with the Broncos this year during training camp. "I never thought I would see this day, but it's here now," Rice said.

Link:http://www.kffl.com/player/1436/NFL
Prosdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 01:01 PM   #9
Koopa
Living Legend

Member Number: 508

well i'm glad he gonna retire, i know he still could've played but i'm glad now i don't have to keep hearing on espn that is he to old to be playing or keep hearing them second guessing him about his decision to keep playing and blah blah blah.
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote