Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 05-04-2007, 09:58 AM   #1
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,207 Times in 2,670 Posts
Default does Troy's helmet cause his concussions?

http://nfl.com/news/story/10164379

Quote:
By Pat Kirwan
NFL.com Senior Analyst

(May 3, 2007) -- The issue of concussions is turning into a very hot subject around the league. Commissioner Roger Goodell has mandated that every team attend a league-wide conference on concussions on June 19.

Is the issue over who to blame when injuries occur? Is it over the club or the coach that suggests to the player, "We need you. Can you go?" Is it the player who fears he'll lose his job if he sits? Or is it, as I believe, now time to protect the players from themselves.

Commissioner Roger Goodell has made the issue of concussions a top priority.
I spent most of the day talking to NFL players about the concussion story. Players said they did feel some pressure from clubs to play when they were hurt, but they also admitted they would try and "talk the trainer into letting them play."

It is my opinion that teams are a lot more cautious than they were years ago and that older players are wiser, but the young players feel invincible. As one player told me, "I feel like Superman." Well, no one is protected from concussions in a violent collision sport like football, but the longer I talked with players, the more I was convinced of a few issues that could help protect the players from themselves.

Make the mouthpiece mandatory in the NFL: Most of the players I discussed the mouthpiece subject with felt about 35 percent of NFL players wear a mouthpiece. When asked about his mouthpiece, one linebacker said, "I only wear it when the team we play has a big fullback." He also said, "I can't call the defense with a mouthpiece."

Players have to wear helmets that fit: As one veteran said, "There's a player on our team that uses a helmet two sizes too big to fit his hair under the helmet." R.W. McQuarters cut his hair recently, and I'm sure he had to get a different helmet.

Provide a group of league doctors: There is a growing sentiment that a league bank of doctors not affiliated with a specific team should rule on all concussions. A player that gets a concussion on a given Sunday could have a "league doctor" rule him out for a specific time period with no chance of the player being released. Players are afraid that if they get labeled injury prone, they will not be on the payroll to long. Some players feel the team doctor is to close to the team to do the right thing. I have known some great team doctors who always put the patient ahead of the team, but it could be a legitimate fear among players.

Finally, the courage and toughness required to play this game and the intense loyalty the players have for each other can work against the same player when a concussion is the issue.
so would steelerfans rather have troy with long hair for 10 years or 15 years with it short?
Old 05-04-2007, 10:10 AM   #2
Buzz05
Team Captain

Member Number: 2482
Default Re: does Troy's helmet cause his concussions?

Personally if its gonna save not only his career but help his quality of life to have shorter hair and a safer helmet so I say great. But I dont know if thats for anybody, including the league, to say other then Troy. Thats his freedom of speech and expression and there is nothing in the nfl rule book to discourage it. I would love to see Troy take all the necessary precautions to help himself but unless he wants the smaller halmet without hair there is really nothing we as fans can do about it other then hope for the best.
Buzz05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 10:12 AM   #3
Jeremy
Banned

Member Number: 2579

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post

so would steelerfans rather have troy with long hair for 10 years or 15 years with it short?
Long hair.
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 10:13 AM   #4
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts

Shave all their heads and make them wear metal buckets for helmets....the Sounds of the Game will be intense.
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 10:22 AM   #5
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

maybe they can cut a hole in the back (like a ball cap style helmet) so his hair can stick out the back. I mean his hair is padded enough that it should still protect with any contact (j/k)

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 10:32 AM   #6
Jeremy
Banned

Member Number: 2579

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlrtruck View Post
maybe they can cut a hole in the back (like a ball cap style helmet) so his hair can stick out the back. I mean his hair is padded enough that it should still protect with any contact (j/k)
On a side note, they have batting helmets for girls with a hole in the back for their hair now.

Ponytail batting helmet.
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 11:22 AM   #7
Borski
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 3150

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post

Players have to wear helmets that fit: As one veteran said, "There's a player on our team that uses a helmet two sizes too big to fit his hair under the helmet." R.W. McQuarters cut his hair recently, and I'm sure he had to get a different helmet.
Makes it sound like that player stuffed all his hair into the helmet, Troy lets it stick out the back. I think that would make a difference.

If they do tests and find out Troy's hair posses a higher risk then I hope he would cut it, but its up to him.
Old 05-04-2007, 11:48 AM   #8
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370

Troy's hair is different than the hair of someone with braids or dreadlocks.

You need the helmet loose with braids and dreadlocks because they wear a bandana or something like one on thier head to keep thier hair from coming loose.

Troy's hair is free flowing,so I think it's fair to say he wears a helmet that is very well-fitting.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 11:52 AM   #9
DACEB
Banned

Member Number: 2911

I don't know about the hair, I personally like it long, but I would say with him wearing it out it does'nt make much difference.

I do know, because of the picture of him on my calendar, that Troy wears the new style helmet specifically for concussions and he wears a mouthpiece.
DACEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 02:08 PM   #10
Counselor
Starter

Member Number: 5075

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoethlisBURGHer View Post
Troy's hair is different than the hair of someone with braids or dreadlocks.

You need the helmet loose with braids and dreadlocks because they wear a bandana or something like one on thier head to keep thier hair from coming loose.

Troy's hair is free flowing,so I think it's fair to say he wears a helmet that is very well-fitting.
You are correct. A helmet becomes ill fitted if you pile all your hair up underneath the helmet. If it comes out the back like Troy's does, that should not be a problem with helmet fit. Girls riding horses are told not to pile their hair in the their helmet because of the poor fit element.

Regarding the pony-tail batter's helmet. Something like that would not be appropriate for a sport like football. Holes in a helmet---especially of that size--- compromise the strength and protection they provide.
Counselor is offline   Reply With Quote