Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 05-04-2007, 06:16 PM   #1
Elvis
Banned

Member Number: 2390
Default Steelers Need To Address MLB Spot

Now, this is not to say that the Steelers are in diere need of this, but who would be our replacements if something happened to Farrior or Larry Foote? We need some help here and it has to be soon, because Farrior is definitely not gettin' any younger...
What do ya'll think about this ?
Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 06:41 PM   #2
Florida_Steelers_Fan
Starter

Member Number: 4759
Default Re: Steelers Need To Address MLB Spot

i believe they are going to give timmons a shot to learn the position as well...but yes, long-term they need to consider this position because it's a little thin.
Old 05-04-2007, 06:53 PM   #3
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 2290

Lawrence Timmons can play both OLB and ILB. But you're right there isn't alot of young depth at ILB. There is Rian Wallace but he hasn't played much in his first two years.
Black@Gold Forever32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 07:10 PM   #4
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,800 Times in 4,468 Posts

farrior had the most sacks in his career last year (4), and the 3rd most tackles in his entire 10 year career (including his runner up mvp season).

11 year players like him, donnie edwards, or mike vrabel are showing no significant decline, and ray lewis (12) isnt looking to retire yet. nor is zach thomas (12) london fletcher (10) doesnt play in the 3-4 but just got him a big money deal with no immediate signs of decline. farrior will need A successor in the next 2-3 years, but im not ready to put him out to pature (or hand him over to the patriots) just yet.

look at all these guys career stats and there is nothing to suggest they are even aging, let alone near the end of their career. some still seem to be getting better. the scheme they are in will dictate their success. for proof of this, just look at jr. seau last year who was leading the pats in tackles before he was injured.

sidenote on timmons: im sure weve all heard he is a longtime steelerfan who used to wear #36 as a kid. yesterday on sirius he said his favorite on defense was always levon kirkland and he wanted to be like him. theres a bit of depth in a pinch right there (as others have stated). rian wallace has shown promise too, and hes just slowly learning the system just like all those before him, like larry foote.
Old 05-04-2007, 07:27 PM   #5
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 2290

Tony, Woodley is the longtime Steelers fan that wore 36 as a kid. But I still see the point you're making. If Woodley could play ILB as well then great. But Timmons for sure can play OLB and ILB.
Black@Gold Forever32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 07:51 PM   #6
19ward86
Head Coach

Member Number: 2717

i am more worried about larry foote than i am worried about james farrior. james is a great tackler and has mediokre speed, larry couldnt tackle some of the kids on my varsity high school team. larry is undersized and doesnt play a big role. i would love the steelers to trade up to get james laurinitous from osu next season. larry can be replaced by clint kreiswalt(or however you spell his name) if he got injured or even a guy like james harrison. we have depth at LB. my guess is that woodley starts over timmons next season..... timmons wasnt a big time player at florida state, he had 75 or so tackles and 4 or so sacks. compared to patrick willis or paul poslouszny who both went over the 100 mark. my guess is that if he does start he will be an OK player for about 3 years and then be released just like kendrell bell.
Old 05-04-2007, 07:55 PM   #7
tony hipchest
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black and Gold Forever 32 View Post
Tony, Woodley is the longtime Steelers fan that wore 36 as a kid. But I still see the point you're making. If Woodley could play ILB as well then great. But Timmons for sure can play OLB and ILB.
yeah, i was thinking of woodley.

timmons build is closer to farrior and foote and would be solid. being that our 4 starters are set going into camp, we are set at back up with the versatility our 2 rookies show. of course learning the playbook isnt easy, but i like how michigan used to borrow steelers gamefilm to take plays and schemes from. hopefully this gives woodley a heads up. hes gonna have to learn defensive end plays in the 4-3, too. i dont think tomlin wouldve drafted him if he didnt feel he was a quick learn.

i hope it never comes to this, but i wonder how polamalu would fit in, in a pinch. ray horton said townsend knows the defense so well he can play any position (but admitted he could never hold up physically on the front 7)
Old 05-04-2007, 08:03 PM   #8
tony hipchest
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19ward86 View Post
timmons wasnt a big time player at florida state, he had 75 or so tackles and 4 or so sacks. compared to patrick willis or paul poslouszny who both went over the 100 mark. my guess is that if he does start he will be an OK player for about 3 years and then be released just like kendrell bell.
kendrell bell wasnt released!

kendrell bell was a situational player who had 70 solo tackles and 9 sacks his rookie season. he was hurt the 2nd season and still had 4 sacks. he rebounded in hid 3rd season, and had 80 solo tackles + 5 sacks. in the final year of his contract he only played 3 games due to another series of injuries. the cheifs signed him to a richer contract than the steelers could afford plus we had foote to take his place.

what have you seen that says timmons is gonna have the same injury problems as kendrell? we will have timmons on a rookie contract of 6 years. hes not going to be released.
Old 05-04-2007, 10:02 PM   #9
19ward86
Head Coach

Member Number: 2717

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
kendrell bell wasnt released!

kendrell bell was a situational player who had 70 solo tackles and 9 sacks his rookie season. he was hurt the 2nd season and still had 4 sacks. he rebounded in hid 3rd season, and had 80 solo tackles + 5 sacks. in the final year of his contract he only played 3 games due to another series of injuries. the cheifs signed him to a richer contract than the steelers could afford plus we had foote to take his place.

what have you seen that says timmons is gonna have the same injury problems as kendrell? we will have timmons on a rookie contract of 6 years. hes not going to be released.
the fact that kendrell bell was signed(not traded) by another team is almost the same thing as being released and then signed in the free agent market.kendrell bell had great speed unlike timmons, kendrell bell was a great tackler, unlike timmons, kendrell bell played well in the 3-4 and we havnt seen anything from timmons yet(ill give him credit because the season hasnt started yet). timmons is an undersized player just like larry foote, larry fooled everyone when he had that 100+ tackle performance in 2005. all i am saying is that i would rather see foote be replaced before i see us drafting another backup linebacker for an older guy.(hint:joey porter,kendrell bell,jason gildon)
Old 05-04-2007, 10:26 PM   #10
tony hipchest
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19ward86 View Post
the fact that kendrell bell was signed(not traded) by another team is almost the same thing as being released and then signed in the free agent market.
no its not. HUGE difference. what youre saying is "almost the same thing as" the steelers let go c. brown, m. vrabel, n. odonnell, c. hope, randle el, k. green, etc. cause they wanted to cut them and it was just as easy.

kendrell bell fell into the 2nd round of the draft, unlike timmons. funny how you were pretty much dogging bell, as a 3 year or so bust in your previous post and now you are singing his praises. i'll get back with you when you realize which side of the fence you stand on.

in the meantime there have been plenty of undersized lb's make it in the nfl. scouting numbers and measurables arent everything. and timmons is perfect size for a 4-3. i'll have to go with the scouting dept on this one and trust farrior and foote to keep on keeping on.