Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 05-06-2007, 04:00 PM   #1
FastWillieParker39
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 4348
Default Will this team have the will to win?

One of the reasons why we had a "bad" year last year was our lack of will to win. With our coaching staff and our team. Even Willie Parker made statements about not wanting to win as badly as before.

With a new coaching staff, do you think we will have the will to win again? We might because we wanted to end last year on a good note and spring forward into next year and we did just that. Also, the comments made by Ben and Tomlin show that we might be trying to get back. Reports have said that Ben is working the hardest he has ever this offseason, and that the team was dissapointed last year.

They might not though because yes we do have a new coaching staff and that might change some things. Comments from Ward saying how "its weird" with new coach Mike Tomlin. Faneca I know complained (but Faneca complains about everything). Will Willie Parker have the same attitude as in 05 or will have the same attitude as he did in 06?

Its going to be interesting.
Old 05-06-2007, 04:48 PM   #2
OneForTheToe
Living Legend

Member Number: 2408
Default Re: Will this team have the will to win?

I not sure I believe that the Steelers didn't care if they won at all. Besides all the other distractions, I'm convinced that the vets just didn't take the early losses serious enough, because they assumed they would turn it on in time to make a playoff run (just as they had the previous season). What the Steelers did in 2005 is likely only to happen once every few decades.

I don't think the Steelers will be assuming much this season.
OneForTheToe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 05:32 PM   #3
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,196 Times in 3,491 Posts

they always had the will to win last season. i'd say more than half the turnovers were caused by individual players trying too hard to either be the hero or produce the miraculous play.

what they lacked was the focus. that will be back, and the steelers have as good a shot as any to win the afc north and a playoff bid.
Old 05-06-2007, 05:38 PM   #4
siss
Team Captain

Member Number: 1611

I honestly think that Tomlin is a breath of fresh air and he will have these guys ready for the season and with the will to win...but I'm also an optimist!

He's ready, Steelers fans. His ordeal over, his return will be complete come Saturday in Arizona, when football again becomes the focus and a career briefly interrupted resumes.
~SI aticle 2006~
siss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 05:55 PM   #5
SteelCzar76
Banned

Member Number: 2498

As professionals,...as competitors of any worth,....the majority of the roster shall always posses the 'will' to win. As will any of their peers whom play for every other team in the league.

But ultimately the thing of greatest importance is as such,....."Force in itself is not enough,....but it is within the quality of execution of any said force,.. that glory is found"

Last edited by SteelCzar76; 05-06-2007 at 10:32 PM.
SteelCzar76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 05:57 PM   #6
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 7,332 Times in 3,278 Posts

After last season any belief that "we can turn it on when we have to" has been shattered (although given the history of Cowher teams in the playoffs in years other than 2005 why they had such an attitude in the first place escaped me).

The 2006 Steelers were unfocused from the HC down to the special teams - talent may be a problem but attention to detail will not be in 2007.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 07:30 PM   #7
TackleMeBen
Southern Belle
Supporter

Location: where all the cute men are(especially the one in my avatar)
Member Number: 4435

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
The 2006 Steelers were unfocused from the HC down to the special teams - talent may be a problem but attention to detail will not be in 2007.
I dont think that Mikey T will let them be unfocused this season. They will be working on the small things that help teams win championships.

In memory of my brother Michael, who gave me my love of sports. I will miss you!
TackleMeBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 10:18 PM   #8
GBMelBlount
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 5140
Thanked 2,067 Times in 946 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
After last season any belief that "we can turn it on when we have to" has been shattered (although given the history of Cowher teams in the playoffs in years other than 2005 why they had such an attitude in the first place escaped me).

I think you nailed it. Only real concern I have though talent wise is OL. Who knows, OL may crush, I hope so.
GBMelBlount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 10:22 PM   #9
Tankus_Maximus
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 519

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
I think you nailed it. Only real concern I have though talent wise is OL. Who knows, OL may crush, I hope so.
I too, am greatly concerned by the O-Line. The success of our offensive unit rests squarely on the shoulders of the hogs on the line.

No line? No chance in hell.

"I'm not locked up in here with you. You're locked up in here with me." -Rorschach
Tankus_Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 08:46 AM   #10
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

I agree with Tony - the team lacked focus and not a desire to win. Just a gut here, but I think Tomlin will inspire this team in many positive ways and have them ready to do battle each and every week, not only physically but mentally. Nothing in the NFL is a gimme and I believe they were a little over-confident last season. I believe a very capable and exciting new regime will produce a very competitive team in Pittsburgh again this season.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote