Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 05-07-2007, 03:17 AM   #1
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363
Default Agent promises Timmons won't hold out

Agent promises Timmons won't hold out

By John Harris
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Monday, May 7, 2007

Wildly successful agent Drew Rosenhaus has never experienced a player holdout he didn't enjoy.
But he has good news for Steelers fans who are concerned about his bad-guy reputation for holding teams hostage during contract negotiations.

Rosenhaus guaranteed that first-round draft pick Lawrence Timmons will be signed in time for the start of training camp in July at Saint Vincent College.

"We have all confidence that Lawrence will be signed before camp starts," Rosenhaus said.

Timmons, the Florida State linebacker who was the 15th overall player selected in this year's draft, will participate in his first official team function -- a mandatory minicamp Friday-Sunday at the Steelers' South Side facility.

"He's going to be at every minicamp, every workout -- everything," Rosenhaus said. "He'll operate as if he's under contract right now."

Rosenhaus said NFL teams traditionally don't begin serious contract talks with rookies until a couple of weeks before training camp.

With Timmons being drafted in the middle of the first round, both sides may decide to wait for players taken earlier in the draft to sign, so that their contracts can be slotted according to their position.

"About a week before training camp, there's a process in the negotiations where you'll see a flurry of signings, and a vast majority of players will report on time," Rosenhaus said. "That's just the way it goes."

Here's how negotiations typically go for the controversial Rosenhaus:

Sometimes, in order to speed up negotiations, he instructs his clients to boycott minicamp or training camp -- sometimes both.

A partial list of holdouts represented by Rosenhaus in recent years includes Arizona Cardinals wide receiver Anquan Boldin, Carolina Panthers linebacker Dan Morgan, Denver Broncos wide receiver Javon Walker (who was a holdout with Green Bay), New Orleans Saints cornerback Mike McKenzie (then with Green Bay), New York Giants running back Reuben Droughns (then with Cleveland), Dallas Cowboys wide receiver Terrell Owens (then with Philadelphia) and Chicago Bears linebacker Lance Briggs.

How do the Steelers know Rosenhaus won't utilize the same strategy with Timmons?

"That's such a misconception," said Rosenhaus, a workaholic who represents more than 90 clients. "Since March 2, we've negotiated over $300 million worth of NFL contracts. We know how to get guys signed.

"Occasionally, once in a blue moon, we'll have a proverbial guy that has a contract-related issue. But we haven't had a rookie hold out of training camp in years."

Chicago general manager Jerry Angelo blamed Rosenhaus for a botched trade that would have shipped Briggs, a Rosenhaus client who wants to renegotiate his contract, to the Washington Redskins prior to the draft.

Despite expressing his unhappiness with Rosenhaus, Angelo drafted tight end Greg Olsen, another Rosenhaus client, in the first round.

"If I were a fan and my team had a prominent player represented by me, I would breathe a sigh of relief because I know how to get guys signed," Rosenhaus said. "I think that whole, 'oh, no, it's Drew Rosenhaus' thing is a myth.

"The Bears know we're not going to have a tough time getting Greg's deal done."

Ditto for the Steelers, according to Rosenhaus, who also represents running back Najeh Davenport.

"The Steelers have a nice formula. They've got a good negotiator in Omar Khan, who, basically, his job is to get deals done," Rosenhaus said. "I'm very confident that Lawrence's contract won't be an issue. As long as the team is reasonable and the agent's reasonable, there's absolutely no excuse for not getting the deal done."

Sounds like Timmons reporting to training camp on time is already a done deal.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 03:45 AM   #2
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Re: Agent promises Timmons won't hold out

Quote:
"I think that whole, 'oh, no, it's Drew Rosenhaus' thing is a myth
And on that note, oh no it's Drew Rosenhaus. It's going to be great dealing with this weasel for years to come. Correct me if I'm wrong, but do we have anybody else on our roster who has this guy as an agent? I do not recall ever hearing his name brought up in the local media when it comes to the Steelers.
Old 05-07-2007, 04:57 AM   #3
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

I think Davenport and Timmons are the only two...
Old 05-07-2007, 08:02 AM   #4
Jeremy
Banned

Member Number: 2579

Actions speak louder than words. We'll see what happens.
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 08:19 AM   #5
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370

The thing about DR is I don't ever remember him telling a rookie to hold out.

His clients that he tells to hold out are already big stars,so people know what they can do.A rookie holding out only hurts the player.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 08:29 AM   #6
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

I'd trust a rattlesnake before I'd trust Rosenhaus.

LLT - if I'm not mistaken, Verron Haynes is also represented by Rosenhaus, unless he fired him recently.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 08:51 AM   #7
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 9,600 Times in 3,995 Posts

Quote:
Have you dealt with [agent] Drew Rosenhaus on a first-round pick before?

Kevin Colbert: I like Drew. Honestly, I've know Drew for I don't know how many [years] – since 1990. Drew has always been very up front. If we've had to do a deal with him, we've been able to do deals with the guy. I'm sure there are different opinions, but we've always had a great relationship. Negotiations are always going to be tough. He's going to do his job for his client, We're going to do our job for the team. But we'll come to an agreement.

Who are some of those other guys that you've dealt with Rosenhaus?

Kevin Colbert: This goes all the way back. This is back to 1990 when he represented Jeff Cross, who was a defensive lineman from Missouri. There's so many [players]. We don't anticipate that problem. We never let the agent affect whether we're going to take a player anyway.
drew knows theres certain teams you have to play hardball with. especially the teams that are notorious for trying to squeeze every penny out of every player such as the bears. then theres teams like the steelers where he knows you dont "tug on supermans cape". hes smart enough to know you dont set any benchmarks or pull a fast one on kahn and colbert.
Old 05-07-2007, 09:33 AM   #8
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
I'd trust a rattlesnake before I'd trust Rosenhaus.

LLT - if I'm not mistaken, Verron Haynes is also represented by Rosenhaus, unless he fired him recently.
Your correct...but he isnt on our roster
Old 05-07-2007, 10:09 AM   #9
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamberts-lost-tooth View Post
Your correct...but he isnt on our roster
Elementary, my dear LLT. He will be.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 12:34 PM   #10
The Duke
Living Legend

Member Number: 4800

Didn't know we had 3 players represented by Rosenhaus. Doesn't seem like a bad agent. i'm just glad he isn't Faneca's agent....
The Duke is offline   Reply With Quote