Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Sports Dimension

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 04-26-2007, 02:27 PM   #1
Jeremy
Banned

Member Number: 2579
Default Tiger Woods plays Oakmont in front of 80 people.

Tiger

Man oh man am I getting excited for the US Open this year. I hope we're able to put on a hell of a show!
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 05:23 AM   #2
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Re: Tiger Woods plays Oakmont in front of 80 people.

Got three tickets for the tournament. Here's to hoping the weather holds up....
Old 05-03-2007, 10:12 AM   #3
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,365 Times in 4,303 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43 View Post
Got three tickets for the tournament. Here's to hoping the weather holds up....
now im not a huge golf fan but i follow it, occasionally watch it and most definitely love playing (although never at a course that would actually have a pro tournament or a "gallery".

ive always had a few questions about watching golf live:

-not to be nosey and ask the face value of your tickets, but how much does it cost to watch a live event, say in comparrison to the steelers, penquins, or pirates? does it cost more to watch a golf event than an nfl game?

-do the ticket sales and consessions (do they have consessions?) pay for all the players purses? (i figure sponsorship dollars play a much bigger role in players earnings than ticket sales like in other sports )

-how many fans would be expected to purchase tickets to the oakmont event with tiger? (it dont seem like it would be enough to cover the purse, unless tickets are astronomical?

-do you have to stay at one spot on the course or does pretty much the whole crowd follow tiger for 18 holes.

-are there "cheap seats" so to speak? i can imagine the bleacher seats at 18 in augusta cost an arm and a leg.

anyways, have fun and hope theres no rain. definitely somethiong id like to do once (although id much rather just go and play a course like that)
Old 05-03-2007, 11:07 AM   #4
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Quote:
-not to be nosey and ask the face value of your tickets, but how much does it cost to watch a live event, say in comparrison to the steelers, penquins, or pirates? does it cost more to watch a golf event than an nfl game?
The four days will cost me $360 per ticket. So $90.00 a piece for four days (my Steeler season tickets are $65.00 a piece for two seats).

Quote:
-do the ticket sales and consessions (do they have consessions?) pay for all the players purses? (i figure sponsorship dollars play a much bigger role in players earnings than ticket sales like in other sports )
The majority of the purse money is brought in through TV and ticket sales. You also have to factor in concessions (yes they do have them) and parking.

Quote:
-how many fans would be expected to purchase tickets to the oakmont event with tiger? (it dont seem like it would be enough to cover the purse, unless tickets are astronomical?
My estimation, between 60-65 thousand total is my guess? That's a good chunk of change.

Quote:
-do you have to stay at one spot on the course or does pretty much the whole crowd follow tiger for 18 holes.
No, you can walk the whole course if you would like.

Quote:
-are there "cheap seats" so to speak? i can imagine the bleacher seats at 18 in augusta cost an arm and a leg.
I'm pretty sure all ticket prices are the same. It's basically everybody for themselves. If you see a bleacher seat open and you want to sit, it's all yours.
Old 05-03-2007, 11:22 AM   #5
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,365 Times in 4,303 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43 View Post

My estimation, 60-65 thousand total. That's a good chunk of change for the purse Tony if you do the math.

holy cow! i woulda figured it drew a nba sized crowd. it just doesnt translate on tv. i guess theres a big difference in seeing a stadium packed like sardines vs. that many people dispersed on the hundereds of acres on a golf course. thanks for the info. again, have fun. i take it you wont be one of the jackasses who yell "get in the hole!" after every shot tiger makes? i hate that guy. lol
Old 05-03-2007, 11:26 AM   #6
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
holy cow! i woulda figured it drew a nba sized crowd. it just doesnt translate on tv. i guess theres a big difference in seeing a stadium packed like sardines vs. that many people dispersed on the hundereds of acres on a golf course. thanks for the info. again, have fun. i take it you wont be one of the jackasses who yell "get in the hole!" after every shot tiger makes? i hate that guy. lol
Thanks man and no, I'm the guy who will beating the hell out of Bob Barker.
Old 05-05-2007, 10:05 AM   #7
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Maddox takes another shot at qualifying next week in Dallas
Saturday, May 05, 2007

By Chuck Finder, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Tommy Maddox is attempting to come back to Pittsburgh.

Don't spit out your leftover Tommy Gun cereal just yet, because it isn't what you think.

This time, he's trying to make a Pittsburgh return in a game with shotgun starts rather than shotgun formations.

The former Steelers starting quarterback is part of a 154-golfer field competing Tuesday in an Irving, Texas, local qualifier that is one more round away from the 107th U.S. Open at Oakmont next month.

Some 8,500 wannabe Open participants -- players with a handicap index of 1.4 or better -- will try their hands at local qualifying over the next week and then sectional qualifying June 4, all in pursuit of what few berths remain for the United States Golf Association championships June 14-17.

Apparently, only one of the qualifying candidates owns a Super Bowl XL ring.

Maddox, 35, is entered as a golf professional, the price you pay for cashing some checks from mini-tour and celebrity events.

"He's a really good golfer, too," said Brandon Cox, the pro at the 7,020-yard Hackberry Creek Country Club where the Dallas-area quarterback plays Tuesday. "He was one shot away from sectionals in the U.S. Open qualifier, I think, two years ago. He's a low handicap."

Maddox was the Steelers' starter for parts of three seasons before injuring his elbow and giving way to a rookie named Ben Roethlisberger in the second game of 2004. He backed up Roethlisberger the next season, started two forgettable games because of injuries to that starter and Charlie Batch and was released in March 2006.

Last June, he dropped by the Steelers' South Side offices to pick up a Super Bowl ring on his way to a foray into pro golf -- a month before, he just missed qualifying for the PGA Tour's Byron Nelson Championship.

Maddox will compete Tuesday in a field that includes another quarterback of Texas repute: Cowboys starter and playoff snap-bobbler Tony Romo, scheduled to tee off a half-hour before Maddox's 1 p.m., heat-of-the-day start. NHL great/ broadcaster Brett Hull along with tour pro Kris Cox and Trump Million Dollar Invitational winner Stuart Deane also are scheduled to take part in the Hackberry sectional. It's nothing new at that sister course to the Trophy Club a 15-minute drive away, where Maddox is among the members. Maddox played a practice round at Hackberry not too long ago, Cox said.

"All the popular athletes come out now and again," Cox said of his course. "You see them a lot around here."

Athletes from all over the sporting spectrum plan to try to qualify for Oakmont via sectionals that started Wednesday across the U.S. golf landscape. Among them are current New York Islanders backup goaltender Mike Dunham, former Cincinnati Reds third baseman Chris Sabo, former Seattle Mariners pitcher Eric Hanson, retired tennis legend Ivan Lendl plus ex-NFLers Al Del Greco and Brian Kinchen.

Maddox, Lendl and Del Greco have golfed in Pittsburgh before: All three participated in past Mario Lemieux Celebrity Invitationals at Nevillewood.

Maddox, who still holds the Steelers' passing record with 473 yards in a 2002 overtime tie with Atlanta, visited a few NFL teams last spring -- Miami, Oakland and New Orleans -- but wound up becoming a stay-around-home dad in Springlake, Texas, and trying his luck at golf for money.

"It's not about who you are or what you do, but it's about how you play," Maddox told the USGA.org Web site. He could not be reached by the Post-Gazette for comment yesterday..

"That's what is awesome about the sport. It doesn't matter where you are from or what you do. It's all about what score you post," he told the USGA.

"It's something I've always loved doing," added Maddox, who took a hiatus from golf at UCLA but returned to the game once he began a pro football career that carted him from Denver to the Los Angeles Rams to the New York Giants to the Arena League to the ill-fated XFL to the Steelers.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07125/783613-382.stm
Old 05-09-2007, 07:40 AM   #8
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Maddox's 75 doesn't pass at U.S. Open qualifier
Wednesday, May 09, 2007

By Chuck Finder, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The 2003 NFL comeback player of the year isn't coming back to Pittsburgh to play in the 2007 U.S. Open.

Seventy-five is a dandy number in Steelers annals: The year of their inaugural Super Bowl triumph, the number worn by Hall of Famer Joe Greene, the anniversary the club celebrates this season. Yet, as golf scores go, the 75 yesterday by former Steelers quarterback Tommy Maddox put him out of the Oakmont running and way down the leader board in his star-studded local qualifier at the Hackberry Creek Country Club in Irving, Texas.

Yes, in the end, Tommy Gun's aim shot down his Open hopes.

After the United States Golf Association for this event reclassified the course's No. 10 hole from a par 5 to a par 4, Maddox finished at 4 over in a local qualifier where 3-under 68 was the cutoff.

An overnight rainfall softened the course, so it wasn't a complete surprise when the day's top score was a 6-under 65 by Trump Million Dollar Invitational champion Stuart Deane, 35, an Australian living in Arlington, Texas.

Brad Ott, a Nationwide Tour pro from Frisco, Texas, carded a 66 in the final group, wiping from contention seven players at 69.

After Deane and Ott came four more golfers at 67 and five at 68, including Aussie Greg Chalmers, with one PGA victory on his career record.

Those last five waged a one-hole playoff to determine which three join the six others who continue the quest to make the Oakmont field and which two become alternates for the next 18-hole round.

They advance to the sectional qualifiers, which take place at 13 sites June 4.

Maddox, 35, of Springlake, Texas, who entered as a professional golfer because he cashed checks from celebrity and mini-tour events, wasn't the only pro athlete at Hackberry. Dallas Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo shot a 72.

Former NHL star and current broadcaster Brett Hull was a no-show.

Play at 109 local qualifying sites began a week ago today. About 95 amateurs and pros contest the local qualifier today at Indiana Country Club.

The USGA received 8,544 entries from golfers trying to reach the field of 156 for Oakmont, a group that includes 58 golfers already exempt for the 107th Open.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07129/784402-382.stm