Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 05-08-2007, 04:35 PM   #1
steeler614
Banned

Member Number: 5011
Default Grade the Coach

well now that the draft and free agency is over, the coaching staff is set, what does everyone think of Coach Tomlin after a few months? I wasn't sure of him taking over as head coach and at times didn't think he was right for the job. well his decisions have proven me wrong I found out we got a very intelligent head coach and I like his philosophy, he is an upgrade over last years zombie-Cowher. Tomlin let it be known he is here for one reason and that is to win games. I know he has had a lot of influence in drafting players and the right choices were made with fixing the pass rush and special teams. I understand it was hard to see Peezy let go but with our new picks and James Harrison we shouldn't miss a step. I also happy for retaining Dick LeBeau as DC and sticking with the 3-4 although I hope to see it switched up with the 4-3 a little bit to throw off opponents, which I think will end up happening. I'm not sure about Arians being the new OC (3 tight ends?) though its good he streamlined the playbook. for now I give Tomlin an A he has tackled quite a few problems on this team and I hope he keeps up the good work.
steeler614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 04:49 PM   #2
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,671 Times in 2,622 Posts
Default Re: Grade the Coach

Only Steelers head coach in history to be undefeated - A++++++++

Hard to grade anyone at this stage absent some knowledge how much involvement he had in the decisions to cut Porter, not be able to reach contract detente with Faneca, and draft a TE + punter in rounds 3 and 4 of the draft.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 04:59 PM   #3
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,070 Times in 2,612 Posts

A- i was very skeptical as a cowher supporter and felt the 2 best candidates to replace him were in house. i now feel like his personality and youth translates well to what the rooneys are looking at, for a long term solution to a coaching vacancy.

the draft had purpose and direction. recent day 2 picks seemed to be throwing darts at the draftboard.

handling of porter was swift. it was mildly distracting, but hasnt snowballed like it couldve.

while fans are uneasy by fanecas situation, tomlin has taken it in stride, not over reacted, and its like he isnt even affected.

the young players seem to be buying into him already.

sticking with lebeau and a familiar offense shows he knows a good thing when he see's it and is not going to try and "reinvent the wheel".
Old 05-08-2007, 05:24 PM   #4
steelersfanmx
Starter
Supporter

Member Number: 2012

I am really confident about Mike Tomlin... actually I can't wait to see this new team
in the opener season... the only thing Im not sure... Pittsburgh still be a Smash mouth football team? or this new offense is going to rely more on the pass?.. What do you think?
Old 05-08-2007, 05:32 PM   #5
The Duke
Living Legend

Member Number: 4800

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelersfanmx View Post
I am really confident about Mike Tomlin... actually I can't wait to see this new team
in the opener season... the only thing Im not sure... Pittsburgh still be a Smash mouth football team? or this new offense is going to rely more on the pass?.. What do you think?
Seems like a combination to me, i love rushing more than passing in a game but we'll see...
The Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 06:28 PM   #6
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

As Dan stated above, it is difficult at this point in time to grade Tomlin without seeing first-hand what he teaches in the "classroom" and on the field translates into positives on game day. From what I've seen of him on TV and heard on the radio, on the surface he appears to be a perfect fit for the Steelers' philosophies and I don't think there is any doubt about his commitment to this team or the organization. Time will tell, but my gut tells me we have a winner in Coach Tomlin and my gut rarely lies to me!

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 06:33 PM   #7
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 2290

I loved the hiring of Mike Tomlin from the jump. I think he is going to be a great NFL HC. But still its way to early to put a grade on this draft and a grade on Mike Tomlin period. He hasn't even coached a game yet.
Black@Gold Forever32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 06:38 PM   #8
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,070 Times in 2,612 Posts

so how does everyone feel he has done up to this point?

im thinking if we woulda hired dave wanstett or chan gailey it would be no problem to hand out a C.
Old 05-08-2007, 06:49 PM   #9
Storm N
Water Boy

Member Number: 5494

Atlanta Dan, you seem to have alot of knowledge about Mike Tomlin. Forgive my ignorance and please tell me more about him , he's never had a loss?? GO STEELERS!!!
Storm N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 06:54 PM   #10
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 2290

I understand up to this point. But what is there really to grade up to this point? Lets see Coach Tomlin cut Joey Porter. With his age and salary I understand the move. The Steelers were not big spenders in free agency but they never are. Ok the draft is over. I like the draft overall and felt the draft addressed alot of need areas. But still its to early to judge or grade this draft class. Thats why its hard really to grade Coach Tomlin on anything. I guess I could grade the way he and Ariens simplified the playbook.lol Which I totally agree why they did that. I like the fact he is putting so much attention into the special teams. I'm also thrilled he is keeping the 3-4 and the fact he could use a hybrid style of defense. So overall I like what Coach Tomlin has done so far.

As for Wanstett or Gailey. Tony what are trying to do give me nightmares of actually thinking about one of them tools as HC of the Pittsburgh Steelers?lol But I would have the same opinion that it would be to early to grade them as well if one of them were named HC.
Black@Gold Forever32 is offline   Reply With Quote