Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 05-11-2007, 01:21 PM   #21
Counselor
Starter

Member Number: 5075
Default Re: Do we have any homeschoolers on the board?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crushzilla View Post
I have to play devil's advocate and I'm not trying to be an *******, but a lot of people earnest feel the way you do about your son, that their kid is far too intellegent to be held back by public schools. All I'm saying is make sure you check everything out first, because this goes a lot farther than his education. This is going to influence his entire social makeup.

It always great to know that parents are doing their absolute best for their kids. Keep up the good work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
My son had to have some dental work done earlier in the year and we kept him out of school for a couple of days. We asked his teacher if this was going to be a problem. She told us that we could keep him out for a week and he'd still be two weeks ahead of the rest of his class.

So either she was blowing smoke or he's that smart.
I don't think anyone is saying your child is not really really smart. Its just people are saying you have to take more into account than that. When I was young, school came really easy for me, but I was shy, so social interaction didn't. If I had been homeschooled I'm not sure if I'd be as adjusted and successful as I am.

Despite the fact that we'd all like to think intelligence and education is everything----in the real world getting a job and succeeding is as much about social/political interaction as it is about intelligence. My point--- and I think Crushzilla's point---- is that we've seen it go badly and we want you to take everything into account before you make your decision.
Counselor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 01:28 PM   #22
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
I'd rather steer clear of the Christian home school groups. Some of them worry me with their extreme views. I have a co worker who does Christian home schooling and they have the group activities as well. But he was telling me a story that the leader of their group was starting to make teens and their parents sign a release stating they would not use the group activities for dating. I know that's only one example, but I'd rather avoid situations like that where my personal views are pretty much 180 degrees different.
Jeremy....

Many of the home school groups are just that... home school groups.

Some are Christian, some are not. But it would behoove you to find one for the social interaction.

Also.. for the education, catholic schools are much better at challenging students.
Kinda funny for me to say being a Baptist. But it is true.

However, if you want to avoid religion all together, I would say homeschool or boarding school would be your best bet.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 01:38 PM   #23
Jeremy
Banned

Member Number: 2579

Thanks for all the input guys.
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 10:35 PM   #24
Stlrs4Life
Tailgate Coordinator
Supporter

Member Number: 419
My Mood: Bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamberts-lost-tooth View Post
My wife homeschooled my son and daughter until my son was in 4th grade and my daughter was in 2nd....we then moved to a better school district and they attended public school...during that time that they were home-schooled we became involved with a local homeschool group that met on a regular basis and were very organized in activities to teach the children social skills with kids their ages....(This is a must..and any parent who is considering homeschooling has to make this part of their curriculum)
They also had parents teach specific skills to advanced students...for example...one of the Dads was a master carpenter...and he taught a class to some of the teenagers on wood-working.
Those groups are virtually in every area...be selective.
As a side note...we really pushed reading to our kids. Both are still voracious readers...with my son reading Treasure Island in 3rd grade and Lord of the Rings in 5th grade ...He now scores in the top 1% in the nation in reading when tested..my daughter scores in the top 3%. Both are well-adjusted kids...who are polite...dont buy into cultural garbage and fads...and are active in sports and music...my sone plays basketball..soccer and plays guitar....my daughter plays basketball and plays flute and piano.
We still are dealing with "typical" teenage and "tween-ager" problems but I truly believe that the foundation my kids learned at an early age has helped them deal with problems pretty well.

I can agree on this type of homeschooling, otherwise I would be against it. Or if 1 of the parents was school teacher qualified, I can agree with it.
Stlrs4Life is offline   Reply With Quote