Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 05-10-2007, 01:16 AM   #1
I-Want-Troy's-Hair
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 2698
Default The Wizard has plans for the picks

That's what I'm taking about. How does one NOT love LeBeau.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_506890.html

Steelers' LeBeau has plans for draft picks

Subscribe
By Scott Brown
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, May 10, 2007

Napkins, envelopes, random pieces of paper -- none have been safe around Steelers defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau lately.

It is hardly uncommon for LeBeau (or any coach for that matter) to commit the ideas that are constantly swirling around his head to paper -- or whatever happens to be the closest thing on which he can write.

But LeBeau said there has been one significant difference between the creative impulse that followed the NFL draft and countless ones that preceded it.

The Steelers' taking outside linebackers Lawrence Timmons and LaMarr Woodley with their first two picks has really brought out the mad scientist in LeBeau.

"This particular time I started drawing, and I didn't quit," LeBeau said Wednesday. "It always looks good on paper. We'll see how it looks on the field."

LeBeau will get a look this weekend, as the Steelers hold the second of two mini-camps at their South Side practice facility.

The linebacker corps, which is to LeBeau's blitzing defense what oxygen is to breathing, will look radically different from when the Steelers convened for five practices a couple of weeks ago.

That is due in large part to the additions of Timmons and Woodley with whom the Steelers became so smitten because of their potential as pass rushers and their versatility.

Timmons, the 15th overall pick of the draft, and Woodley will give LeBeau flexibility if the Steelers were correct in evaluating the two players.

Perhaps that is why LeBeau found himself scribbling like crazy in the days that followed the Steelers using their top two picks to address the same position for the first time since since 1987 (they drafted cornerbacks Rod Woodson and Delton Hall in the first and second round, respectively).

He devised 15 new plays with Timmons and Woodley in mind and stopped himself there, LeBeau said, since "I thought 'Hey, this is enough. Let's see if any of these are any good.' "

The Steelers also have to see how smooth of a transition Timmons and Woodley make from college to the NFL before those plays are worth more than the scraps of paper on which they were initially written.

They are converting Woodley, who starred at Michigan, from defensive end to outside linebacker. The learning curve also could be a steep one for Timmons since he started only one season at Florida State.

The two are slated to play different positions (Timmons at right outside linebacker and Woodley at left outside linebacker), but part of their appeal to the Steelers is that they won't be confined to one position.

That is why mini-camp will serve the dual purpose of getting Timmons and Woodley familiar with LeBeau's defense and LeBeau getting a better feel for what all they can do.

If the two are as athletic and versatile as the Steelers have pegged them to be, LeBeau might find himself writing new plays on everything but his hand before the start of training camp.

"Our task is now really to see what the best fit for these young men within the scope of our defense is and what is best for the Pittsburgh Steelers," LeBeau said. "So it's going to be an interesting couple of years figuring out what they do best and where they can best help the Steelers return to a championship team."
Old 05-10-2007, 01:27 AM   #2
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 4,158 Times in 1,761 Posts
Default Re: The Wizard has plans for the picks

The Steelers also have to see how smooth of a transition Timmons and Woodley make from college to the NFL before those plays are worth more than the scraps of paper on which they were initially written.

the most important sentence in the article.

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 02:38 AM   #3
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post

Stop peeing on the parade!!

I am actually thinking... What if... what if they are both able to do what the FO thinks?

Imagine that with Taz coming up the middle!!! NO ONE will be able to figure out who is coming from where!

Please Lord... let them both develope!!
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 05:01 AM   #4
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,726 Times in 1,575 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

I like what the preacher said but lets dont forget anthony smith roaming around this year.
Galax Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 06:07 AM   #5
Steel Pit
Banned

Member Number: 2140

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post

Well I don't believe that ANY of us really expected these guys to start this season. Any playing time that they do get is just biscuits and gravy for the future.
Steel Pit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 07:22 AM   #6
abgroove
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 5150

Let's get 'em on the field first. There is a big difference for most players from college ball to the pros. If you get 20 impact rookies between all 32 teams in one year, that's a lot. That doesn't leave a great chance for two of those rookies to have a great impact on one team. Even if that team is the Picksburgh Stillers.
abgroove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 07:25 AM   #7
DACEB
Banned

Member Number: 2911

I'm excited about Lebeau's enthusiasm. Maybe he'll coach for a few more years!!
DACEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 08:14 AM   #8
Buzz05
Team Captain

Member Number: 2482

Quote:
Originally Posted by DACEB View Post
I'm excited about Lebeau's enthusiasm. Maybe he'll coach for a few more years!!
If these kids can do what he thinks they can do...who knows maybe he will be the JoePa of defensive coordinators, coaching till he's 80.
Buzz05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 09:20 AM   #9
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

I'm sure with the star-studded players on defense already, these guys shouldn't have too much of a problem with the transition.

As for when they will start. Don't know, don't care, I just want them on the field from time to time (if and when they're ready) to be able to make plays and show the NFL that they are ready and that the Steelers defense is once again to be feared!

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 09:35 AM   #10
Buzz05
Team Captain

Member Number: 2482

Keep in mind Troy didnt star his rookie year and look how he turned out. I would rather have then learning and getting comfortable then thrown into the fire too early. The defenses he runs arent exactly cupcake defenses they are plays that take time to learn. I think we will see them on the field when they are ready. I have faith in Lebeau's judgement
Buzz05 is offline   Reply With Quote