Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 05-10-2007, 11:53 PM   #1
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Faneca/Polamalu to practice with team

Steelers Minicamp: Faneca, Polamalu to practice with team
Friday, May 11, 2007

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

New coach Mike Tomlin should see two vital components of the Steelers' Super Bowl team on the practice field when his second minicamp starts today.

Guard Alan Faneca and safety Troy Polamalu, who did not attend minicamp three weeks ago, have told club officials they will join their teammates for three days of required practices this weekend.

Between them, Faneca and Polamalu have made nine Pro Bowls. They also enter the final year of their contracts and no progress has been reported in contract talks with either player.

While the players were not required to attend the first minicamp April 20-22, all but Faneca, Polamalu and linebacker Clark Haggans participated. Haggans and Polamalu provided Tomlin with excuses; Faneca did not. Haggans was at a team meeting last night and also will be at this camp.

Faneca, a six-time Pro Bowl guard, however, promised to turn out as the new draft class and free agent rookies join the veterans on the field for the first time.

Faneca, a nine-year starter, expressed disappointment shortly after the Steelers hired Tomlin in February and that they did not instead hire Russ Grimm or Ken Whisenhunt, two former members of Bill Cowher's staff, to become the next head coach.

"When Cowher retired, everybody in the league wanted two of our guys, so you'd think we would want at least one of them," Faneca said from the Pro Bowl in Hawaii.

However, it is not so much who is coach but lagging contract talks that Faneca and his agent, Rick Smith, seem most unhappy about. Faneca was paid a $1 million roster bonus in March and is due a $3,375,000 salary at a time when free-agent guards who have never been to a Pro Bowl have signed contracts guaranteeing $17 million.

"It's between Alan and the front-office people," receiver Hines Ward said after talking to Faneca before the first minicamp. "We as players support Alan and whatever decision he makes."

Said fellow starting guard Kendall Simmons during the first minicamp, "The whole thing that is going on is all business and is part of it, and every guy is going to go through it eventually."

Tomlin talked with Faneca when the player turned up at the team's South Side training center the day before the first minicamp.

"I know I have no personal issues with him," Tomlin said at the time.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07131/785177-66.stm
Old 05-11-2007, 03:57 AM   #2
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,204 Times in 1,359 Posts
My Mood: Lurking
Default Re: Faneca/Polamalu to practice with team

That is great news I would like to see troy signed first then work on faneca but I think faneca will be gone next year but maybe he will be a strong contributor to the team this year.
Galax Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 06:37 AM   #3
abgroove
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 5150

Quote:
Originally Posted by galax steeler View Post
That is great news I would like to see troy signed first then work on faneca but I think faneca will be gone next year but maybe he will be a strong contributor to the team this year.
Indeed
abgroove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 07:09 AM   #4
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 6,400 Times in 2,932 Posts

It may be the style of Troy and his agent to play it close to the vest, but Troy's absence from prior camps until today and the absence of any indication whatsoever on progress regarding a new deal for him is troubling.

If Faneca goes there are a number of legitimate reasons the deal could not get done, but if Troy goes the issue of whether the Rooneys will pay what it takes to keep prime tme talent will definitely be teed up.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 08:48 AM   #5
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 7,099 Times in 3,081 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
It may be the style of Troy and his agent to play it close to the vest, but Troy's absence from prior camps until today and the absence of any indication whatsoever on progress regarding a new deal for him is troubling.

well the rooneys better quit sitting on their hands in regards to troy unless theyre happy with drew rosenhaus and dan snyder establishing his market value for them.

top 10 pick sean taylor (who has already made alot more money than troy and still has 2-3 years left on his current deal) is threatenning holdout so he can get an extension. ed reed (another tha u player, also represented by drew) has already broke the safety bank, and with the current salary cap inflation im sure drew will expect taylor to be the richest safety in the game.

more proof that steelers need to scrap their philosophy of waiting till the last minute to extend their stars, so that they can keep players like duce on the roster a year too long.
Old 05-11-2007, 08:55 AM   #6
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
well the rooneys better quit sitting on their hands in regards to troy unless theyre happy with drew rosenhaus and dan snyder establishing his market value for them.
I agree - I don't say this about many players, because I don't think it applies to many players, but IMO, Troy is a MUST sign, and the sooner the better.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 08:59 AM   #7
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 6,400 Times in 2,932 Posts

Quote:
well the rooneys better quit sitting on their hands in regards to troy unless theyre happy with drew rosenhaus and dan snyder establishing his market value for him.

top 10 pick sean taylor (who has already made alot more money than troy and still has 2-3 years left on his current deal) is threatenning holdout so he can get an extension. ed reed (another tha u player, also represented by drew) has already has already broke the safety bank and with the current salary cap inflation im sure drew will expect taylor to be the richest safety in the game.

more proof that steelers need to scrap their philosophy of waiting till the last minute to extend their stars, so that they can keep players like duce on the roster a year too long.
Since I figure Colbert does what he is told, it is AJR II's call now. So far he has had 2 major contract issues - Cowher and Faneca. In both cases, the other side's terms (Cowher wanting to spend more time in NC, Faneca wanting top $$$) arguably made getting a deal done prohibitive. Nevertheless, in the case of Cowher and the apparent case of Faneca the negotiations crashed.

I agree AJR II may need to consider revising his playbook. Not renegotiating until the last year of the contract is forcing the Steelers into negotiations where the price point is being set by other teams.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 09:18 AM   #8
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 7,099 Times in 3,081 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
Since I figure Colbert does what he is told, it is AJR II's call now. So far he has had 2 major contract issues - Cowher and Faneca. In both cases, the other side's terms (Cowher wanting to spend more time in NC, Faneca wanting top $$$) arguably made getting a deal done prohibitive. Nevertheless, in the case of Cowher and the apparent case of Faneca the negotiations crashed.

I agree AJR II may need to consider revising his playbook. Not renegotiating until the last year of the contract is forcing the Steelers into negotiations where the price point is being set by other teams.
how smart do the eagles look now by ripping up o-lineman shawn andrews rookie deal (which still had 3-4 years left) and locking him up for years, right before the price of linemen rose like internet stocks in 2000?

i know that it would be easier said than done, to give polamalu a new deal last year. we needed to keep him at his current low salary to stay under the cap last season and next. but thats where steelers gotta get rid of some of the high priced veteran back ups like kirschke, staley, and okolbi, and roll with youngsters like orien harris, john kuhn, and marvin phillip. hell we did it with longsnapper schneck in favor of warren, and didnt have any snapping problems the year of our sb run.
Old 05-11-2007, 09:27 AM   #9
coachspeak33
Banned

Member Number: 2231

Quote:

top 10 pick sean taylor (who has already made alot more money than troy and still has 2-3 years left on his current deal) is threatenning holdout so he can get an extension. ed reed (another tha u player, also represented by drew) has already broke the safety bank, and with the current salary cap inflation im sure drew will expect taylor to be the richest safety in the game.

Bravo.....I couldnt have said it better myself.

Looks like "the Steeler Way" needs to be modernized a little bit.....

The old Woody Hayes saying ...."you win with good people"....Maybe in the old days when players acted like eating a big "healthy" steak with a glass of light beer was part of their conditioning program....but not anymore....those days are gone

Troy is one of the most dynamic players the NFL has to offer....You simply dont let that player leave your roster before he has reached his prime years of production....PERIOD.

We are not talking about a Leon Searcy or even a Carnell Lake....both quality players....pro bowl calibar players.....they are not in Troys league, however.

Oh and by the way tony....the sheep on here will get ya if you talk of other owners....especially those who havent won a super bowl.....cause Art II, hes won a SB....so in the eyes of many he and his decisions are completey beyond reproach....he and his infinite wisdom of "my ancient way or the highway"....thats the only way to do business.
coachspeak33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 09:30 AM   #10
coachspeak33
Banned

Member Number: 2231

Quote:
how smart do the eagles look now by ripping up o-lineman shawn andrews rookie deal (which still had 3-4 years left) and locking him up for years, right before the price of linemen rose like internet stocks in 2000?

i know that it would be easier said than done, to give polamalu a new deal last year. we needed to keep him at his current low salary to stay under the cap last season and next. but thats where steelers gotta get rid of some of the high priced veteran back ups like kirschke, staley, and okolbi, and roll with youngsters like orien harris, john kuhn, and marvin phillip. hell we did it with longsnapper schneck in favor of warren, and didnt have any snapping problems the year of our sb run.
see there you go again tony, complimenting the business practices of other franchises. So now I gotta ask....how many SB's have the eagles won??? (enter sarcasm font)
coachspeak33 is offline   Reply With Quote