Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 05-11-2007, 12:20 PM   #1
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 7,250 Times in 3,252 Posts
Default Faneca says he wants out

Guard Alan Faneca said today he is attending the required Steelers minicamp only because the team is making him and predicted this will be his last season with the Steelers.

Faneca, who has played in the past six Pro Bowls, said he will depart Pittsburgh Sunday night when practices end and won't return until training camp.

Faneca also said he has asked the Steelers to trade him but that he does not think that will happen. He said they have shown by their lack of progress in contract talks that they no longer want him beyond the 2007 season.

"This will be my last year as a Pittsburgh Steeler," Faneca declared.

He even said that it would be hard for him to serve as a co-captain of the offense again.

"You go somewhere, you've been here for nine years; to do what I've done to help this team out. The things I've done for this team ... and the offer I get is pretty much a non-offer. What am I to think? What are the guys in this room to think? If they can do it to me and everybody else and let Joey [Porter] go and do things like that, what does that say to the rest of the guys?"

Faneca said he's talked to "everyone" in the front office, including Art Rooney, Dan Rooney and Kevin Colbert.

"I've been asking since February, to trade me, to let me go,'' Faneca said in such an emotional interview that at times his left hand was shaking slightly. "I've done my piece, I've done my time, I've done everything I can for this organization.

"I lived and breathed Steelers football for nine years and gave them everything I had, helped them win a Super Bowl. In my mind, I've earned the right to be treated fairly. To make me go out there this year, play football with no security ... for what I've done for this organization, in my mind is not right."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07131/785306-66.stm

Wow - this has become real ugly
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 12:24 PM   #2
Counselor
Starter

Member Number: 5075
Default Re: Faneca says he wants out

Damn. I hope things with Troy aren't like this. ugh
Counselor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 12:25 PM   #3
Buzz05
Team Captain

Member Number: 2482

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
Wow - this has become real ugly
Thats an understatement. Maybe this goes beyond Grimm not getting the job. It sounds like he actually feels like he is disrespected.
Buzz05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 12:26 PM   #4
Sharkissle29
Team President

Member Number: 910

well thats great, we have someone on our offensive line that doesnt want tto even play for us, i think you'll see a lack of effort there. some would argue he'll be fighting for a contract for another team next year, but i just dont know. i dunno i like the way this team has been heading with their front office moves....only time will tell
Old 05-11-2007, 12:29 PM   #5
Buzz05
Team Captain

Member Number: 2482

I really hope he is traded. Atleast get something for him. Dont just let him walk through the season then walk after the season and get nothing. Trade him now and get some help.
Buzz05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 12:31 PM   #6
OneForTheToe
Living Legend

Member Number: 2408

How can such a big man be such a cry baby. Come on Alan, this is a busines and you know it. How much crying did you do for the veterns the Steelers cut, when they did your second contract (don't remember any names, but I'm sure we are always freeing up cap space). You didn't seem to mind the Steelers unloading saleries then.

Grow up, play your last season, then move on to Arizona. Maybe as part of you deal with the Cardinals, Russ Grimm will agree to tuck you in at night and read you a bedtime story.?
I
almost wish they would trade him now.
OneForTheToe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 12:33 PM   #7
rbryan
Team President

Member Number: 5196

Anybody got Whiz's cell #?? I was still hoping there was a chance to reconcile but no more. We need to get rid of him NOW if this it what he's about. He should understand as much as anyone that this is a business. Theres no crying in Football.
rbryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 12:33 PM   #8
Counselor
Starter

Member Number: 5075

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz05 View Post
I really hope he is traded. Atleast get something for him. Dont just let him walk through the season then walk after the season and get nothing. Trade him now and get some help.
It too late. We can't get draft picks for this year, and after this little interview--- teams are going to think we'll release him after (or before) the year anyway---so they can just wait.
Counselor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 12:34 PM   #9
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

I gotta shake my head at this..

What does Fanaca want? A non-offer my rear-end. If he wants even close to prevailing money, then he KNOWS... HE KNOWS that means he HAS to go elsewhere, because the Steelers are too close to the cap and have too many other players to sign. WHat, he thinks he is MORE important then Ben? Or Troy? There ain't no way. We have had a number of OL that play VERY WELL in the last 25 years.

When was the last time we had a QB or a SAFETY that played at the level our QB and Safety play at?

Use your brain Faneca. And opening your mouth about FO moves, as if your opinion matters on what coach is hired?? Yeah, that makes him even more wanted by teh FO.

Steelers FO have kept us out of cap trouble by making hard decisions... This decision doesn't seem so hard now. Buh Bye!!
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 12:37 PM   #10
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

And above anything esle, Faneca should remember that for the most part, the Steelers don't negotiate a new contract until the old one is up. So damn, if it's that bad - come out, play your heart out this year and next year you can go join your boys in Arizona!

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote