Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 05-17-2007, 10:12 PM   #321
Steelersfan4life0655
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 2163
Default Re: Faneca says he wants out

well there always younger guys to take the helms after Faneca leaves. So i am not worried that we would lose this guy. save money to resign or sign players that will benefit us in the next few years.
Steelersfan4life0655 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 04:33 AM   #322
steelcity58
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 3251

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43 View Post
As always with PFT, take it for what it's worth.....

STEELERS OFFERED FANECA $19 MILLION OVER FIRST THREE YEARS

A source tells us that the Pittsburgh Steelers extended an opening offer to guard Alan Faneca for a contract extension that would have paid him $19 million over the first three years of the deal.

Per the source, Faneca wants $24 million over the first three seasons, and isn't budging.

As we explained on Friday, Faneca's anger regarding the gap between his demand and the team's offer is misplaced. The team has no obligation to pay him more money than the team believes that the 30-year-old offensive lineman deserves. And by publicly crying about the situation, Faneca is no different than Pacman Jones or Chris Henry or T.O. or any other selfish ******* who puts his own interests above a system that has made many men with few if any other marketable skills rich beyond their wildest dreams.

But, hey, at least Faneca showed up for a mandatory minicamp.

"[H]e's a professional. He's here. It's not like he didn't show up," said receiver Hines Ward.

Hines, he showed up because, under the new CBA, he could have lost 25 percent of the prorated bonus amount for 2007, the final year of his current contract. The potential price tag would have been $400,000.

And how can Faneca be described as "a professional" in light of his Friday rant? Panthers receiver Steve Smith wanted a new contract for more than a year, and never said a word about it publicly. Sure, there were rumors that he was milking a hamstring injury last year in quiet protest to the lack of a new deal. But Smith never ran his mouth.

The irony here is that, in identical situations, the receiver acted like an offensive lineman usually does, and the offensive lineman is acting like a receiver usually behaves.

So, in our view, there's nothing professional about what Faneca is doing. And it could be that Faneca and Ward and anyone of their mindset will have to go before new Steelers coach Mike Tomlin can communicate his message to the guys who still get it.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm
8 million dollars a year for a side of beef?!!!!!

That's plain friggin nuts...

That's star WR...solid RB...and good QB money...not guard money.

And to the guy/postor questioning loyalty.

WTF are you talking about lame brain?

People like me who bash a player for not showing up to play for his team ARE THE ONES WHO ARE LOYAL.

NOW GO CRY IN YOUR BEER AND BURY YOUR HEAD IN THE SAND.
steelcity58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 06:46 AM   #323
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

Agents question Faneca's tactic

By John Harris
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Friday, May 18, 2007

In chastising Steelers management over his unhappiness with contract negotiations, Alan Faneca brought personal feelings to the forefront in a league in which decisions are normally made for business reasons.

Several NFL player agents expressed concern with the public display, saying Faneca probably did not help himself by expressing his anger in what amounted to an emotional outburst to the media at last weekend's minicamp.

Against the advice of his representative, Faneca, a six-time Pro Bowl guard, told reporters because he hasn't received a contract offer appropriate for a player of his stature, he doesn't want to remain a team captain and that the 2007 season will be his last with the Steelers.

"Disagreements are always best aired behind closed doors with the Steelers," said Joe Linta, who represents Steelers offensive linemen Chukky Okobi and Willie Colon. "Is he underpaid now relative to his worth on the market? Absolutely. But he's also under contract to them for another year."

Faneca's strategy to tackle Steelers management head-on differs from the low-key approach taken by teammate and Pro Bowl safety Troy Polamalu, who, like Faneca, has a year remaining on his contract.

Polamalu, however, is only 26 and still is working on his original five-year deal.

Faneca, 30, is pursuing what will likely be his third and final contract.

"It's a little different," Polamalu said. "He's more accomplished and has been here longer."

Agent Rick Smith told the Tribune-Review this week that Faneca knew he wouldn't win a public relations war with the Steelers and that he doesn't advocate clients speaking out the way Faneca did.

Faneca, he said, felt so strongly about what was going on that he wanted his side of the story to be told.

Another agent, Alonzo Shavers, advised one of his clients, New England Patriots cornerback Asante Samuel, to not go public with his displeasure over his contract negotiations this offseason. Samuel did anyway.

"I don't necessarily think publicly going after the team is beneficial in any way, shape or form," said Shavers, who also represents Steelers defensive back hopeful Jovon Johnson. "But at the end of the day, whether I agree, disagree or otherwise, if he's happy, I'm ecstatic. You work for him."

Veteran agent Ralph Cindrich -- who represents a number of NFL players, including Steelers linebacker James Farrior -- believes players should allow their negotiators to bargain, given that the team has experienced negotiators of its own.

Cindrich said emotion doesn't belong at the negotiating table and that it's an agent's responsibility to help clients maintain a positive front with media and fans.

"I thought it was out of character for Alan Faneca," Cindrich said. "I admire his work, what he represents to the organization. If you're going to take that kind of approach, let your mouthpiece do it for you. If you have an agent, he's the one that should be speaking up. Particularly when you have an individual who's a leader on the team. You don't let your client go into that type of situation. You settle him down, because you're only going to say something you want to take back, and it's too late once you say it."

Agents agreed that Faneca should be a hot commodity when he becomes an unrestricted free agent in 2008.

"Realistically, if you want 2008 free-agent dollars, it means you wait until 2008," Cindrich said.

Other veterans on the team in the same situation as Faneca fully understand the reality of entering unrestricted free agency with the Steelers.

Said Jeff Sperbeck, who represents departed linebacker Joey Porter and current starting linebacker Clark Haggans (who is entering the final year of his contract): "As we've seen from Joey, if they're not willing to get a deal done during the offseason, their history shows they don't negotiate during the season, so it'd be clear to us (Haggans) would be an unrestricted free agent next year."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_508283.html
Old 05-18-2007, 08:19 AM   #324
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,797 Times in 2,680 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43 View Post
Other veterans on the team in the same situation as Faneca fully understand the reality of entering unrestricted free agency with the Steelers.

Said Jeff Sperbeck, who represents departed linebacker Joey Porter and current starting linebacker Clark Haggans (who is entering the final year of his contract): "As we've seen from Joey, if they're not willing to get a deal done during the offseason, their history shows they don't negotiate during the season, so it'd be clear to us (Haggans) would be an unrestricted free agent next year."
Sperbeck sums it up - if you do not have a deal with the Steelers prior to Labor Day for the last year of your contract then pack your bags.

With the top 2 picks being linebackers and the Steelers strongly considering an eventual shift from the 3-4, Haggans is history.

I still believe Faneca had his blow-up with the full knowledge of his agent in an ongoing attempt to force a trade. Faneca's agent has been disssing the Steelers throughout the offseason (e.g. - consisitently referring to AJR II by his last name only) and last week was simply an effort to turn up the heat.

Having caved in to Porter's effort to force his release, the Steelers are not going to trade Faneca unless they get what they regard as proper value.

Faneca will not be back until August - Troy's deal better be done by the start of camp.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 09:13 AM   #325
Crushzilla
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 5106

I feel like Faneca is that guy in a poker game who has been betting his hand all along and then later realizes he has crap. Then he has to keep on pushing to create the illusion that he is still confident in his hand.

I'm playing poker right now...

There is no reason that he shouldn't be taking this $19 million. The only reason the $24 million over three years MUST be accomplished is because it definitively makes him the highest paid guard ever. Its not even about the money as much as the status. If Alan gets that money it'll blow Hutch's $49 over 7 deal away. If people didn't know who Steve Hutchinson was when he played for Seattle, they know who he is now.

I don't understand it, though. I mean he's a guy who made the Pro Bowl on name alone. He's established himself. Now he wants to recieve some absurd contract when everyone, except the poor shmo that will give it to him, knows he will not be able to meet the expectations that come with that kind of bread. Only difference between his and Hutch's signing is that there won't be a fight by us to retain him if we won't settle. I tried to find this information, but I could not: What is the structure of Hutch's contract like? I'll bet this. He was 28 when he signed that contract, so he'll be 34 when its up. Faneca is gonna be 31 at the beginning of the '08 season, so after his 3 year deal he'll be, also, 34. I want to see the structure of Hutch's contract. It probably has been prepared to give him less money as his production will expectedly decline, which may leave room to restructure if he's still performing at a higher level. His production is probably figured to decline around 31, 32 and I wonder if his money reflects that. Faneca apparently wants to be worth more every year, even though he gets worse. I'm just speculating and wish I could find that info, because I feel that would be very interesting. Of course, a lot of Hutch's money was guarenteed and like I said... I'm terrible at economics...

I've been a pretty big Faneca fan over the years. I have an LSU Faneca jersey that I really like. When you speak out like this, though? Saying you felt that Grimm should have been hired... I can handle that. But blowing off the team and saying your gone first chance you get?

Alright... Peace

Last edited by Crushzilla; 05-18-2007 at 09:24 AM. Reason: major typos
Crushzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 10:33 PM   #326
Steel Pit
Banned

Member Number: 2140

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
Wilson and Kirschke I'll give you - however, the veteran minimum is now a cool $750,000 a year and most of these other guys aren't all that far above that, certainly not far enough to make up the difference between what Faneca wants and what he's actually getting and still be able to offer Troy and Ben long term deals that we're going to have to very soon. Okobi isn't going to be a backup much longer, IMO (for better or worse - we'll see). Gardocki is as good as gone. St. Pierre is hush money, so he won't go back to the Ratbirds with our playbook in hand.

Agree with fansince76 on this topic. As I looked at coachspeek's list I thought the same thing. Besides Wilson and Kirschke, the other players look to be making just about MINIMUM salary for their positions with the additional coming from the years of service clause in the NFL/NFLPA contractural agreement.

The Steelers could save a little bit of cap room by replacing the older players on the list with rookies but the amount saved would hardly be noticed.

The NFL is simply a big salary business. If a team carried a 2nd string punter he would make nearly a million dollars a year.
Steel Pit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 06:48 AM   #327
TackleMeBen
Southern Belle
Supporter

Location: where all the cute men are(especially the one in my avatar)
Member Number: 4435

In memory of my brother Michael, who gave me my love of sports. I will miss you!
TackleMeBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 06:51 AM   #328
Indy_Steelers
Team Captain

Member Number: 1117

Quote:
Originally Posted by TackleMeBen View Post
Old 05-23-2007, 02:10 AM   #329
qbvision.com
Water Boy

Member Number: 5560

Lets all just face the facts.....no matter how good one player is, how many pro bowls hes been to, how big he is...there is always that guy waiting to be inserted into a game..a guy nobody has ever heard of, a rookie a 2nd year guy, a special teams player...whatever..this is the NFL..its a rough business now, players come and go just like they do everywhere else...remember there is always someone to step in to start the next era..always...nobody is irreplacable(did I spell that right?)...there is someone and everyone out there waiting to make their name..thats what this business is about.....they think in hopes of making more and more...the world doesnt run this way...i was probably the best engineer that walked the earth..maybe..i made my money when I could...i dont know/.? why ? well lots of reasons..there was many people waiting to fill my shoes who were cheaper and did the same exact job...Faneca this is life...get over it play football retire ..DO YOUR JOB..deal with life
qbvision.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 07:58 AM   #330
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

Someone please tell me why we have a 34 page thread on a player that wants to leave the team?

Shouldn't we have a 34 page thread on players like Polamalu, Roethlisberger, and others that want to be on the team - whose goal is to win another SB, not worried about cashing in because he's done it for so long.

Faneca - if you want to cash in, go to Arizona or Washington, I hear those two teams are paying top dollar for over the hill players.

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote