Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 05-12-2007, 09:11 AM   #1
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656
Default Barlow thrilled to finally be a Steeler......

http://news.steelers.com/article/76461/

Barlow happy to be home
Saturday, May 12, 2007

By Teresa Varley
Steelers.com

Kevan Barlow saw his dream come true on Friday when he took the field for the first time as a member of the Steelers.

Barlow, a Pittsburgh native who played at nearby Peabody High School, signed a one-year contract with the Steelers on Thursday. He then participated in the team's mini-camp on Friday.

"I am definitely excited to be here," said Barlow after the team's morning practice. "I grew up a Steelers fan all my life. Being from Pittsburgh, you know how it is to be a Steelers fan. I never thought in a million years I would be playing for the Steelers.

"I thought it would be a possibility coming out of college. I met with Kevin (Colbert) and with Coach (Bill) Cowher, but that didn't happen. As I got in my career I never thought I would be a Steeler, but sometimes dreams come true."

Barlow, who played collegiately at the University of Pittsburgh, will add depth at running back where the team has Willie Parker, Najeh Davenport and John Kuhn returning.

"I bring hard work and competition," said Barlow. "I am going out there to try and make plays to help the Steelers win some games."

A lot has been thrown at him in the last 24 hours, but as a veteran, he is comfortable handling it.

"I kind of know what to expect," said Barlow. "Being in the NFL you kind of know what to expect. You don't want to get overwhelmed and caught up in the moment. But for the most part it was good. I enjoyed being out there and seeing what it is like to be a Pittsburgh Steeler."

Barlow entered the NFL as the San Francisco 49ers third-round draft pick in 2001. He played five seasons with them, before being traded to the New York Jets during the 2006 preseason. He rushed for 3,641 yards and 24 touchdowns while with the 49ers and in his one season with the Jets had 131 carries for 370 yards and six touchdowns.

This will be his third team in as many years, but he knows he can make the adjustment.

"Unfortunately and fortunately I have been in four offenses in the last five years with four different coordinators," said Barlow. "I kind of know a little bit of each offense. I am going to try to take some of that and use it over here and get some help from Willie. My running backs coach is also doing a good job to help me."

While Barlow is happy with his new team, his family might even be happier. He knows that it is going to cost him, though.

"They were excited," said Barlow. "I am excited to be here to play in front of my hometown. I will probably have to order about 200 tickets. Other than that I am excited to be here."
"We're not going to turn our backs on him," Ward said. "We're going to treat him like our brother. We're going to accept him back and be very supportive of him and help him get through this. In this locker room, he's still our quarterback."
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 09:54 AM   #2
rbryan
Team President

Member Number: 5196
Default Re: Barlow thrilled to finally be a Steeler......

Someone who is happy to play for the Steelers while making $500k yr ? What a novel idea. Hey Faneca, you gone yet? Don't let the door hit your big azz on the way out.
rbryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 10:03 AM   #3
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

I personally LOVE this signing and still stand behind my prediction that Parker...Barlow..and Russell will be our three RB's this year
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 10:16 AM   #4
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

For the price, I'm happy to have him on board. Now, let's see what he can do. If it doesn't work out, oh well. We take a very insignificant cap hit. If it works (which I feel it will), we have a solid backfield (IMO).
Old 05-12-2007, 10:32 AM   #5
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43 View Post
For the price, I'm happy to have him on board. Now, let's see what he can do. If it doesn't work out, oh well. We take a very insignificant cap hit. If it works (which I feel it will), we have a solid backfield (IMO).
83-Steelers-43

What is your assesement of Russell.....? From everything that I have found, he was destined to be one of the premier backs in the country before being declared academically ineligible...I know that he came in a little "fleshy"...but his legs are fresh and he still should be able to get into playing shape before the season starts.
Old 05-12-2007, 10:54 AM   #6
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamberts-lost-tooth View Post
83-Steelers-43

What is your assesement of Russell.....? From everything that I have found, he was destined to be one of the premier backs in the country before being declared academically ineligible...I know that he came in a little "fleshy"...but his legs are fresh and he still should be able to get into playing shape before the season starts.
I don't know about this guy. He seems to have some character issues or maybe he's not real smart. For some reason Maurice Clarett keeps popping into my head when his name is brought up. Also, his combine results were pretty bad.

4.77 40 yd: Slowest of all RB.
1.65 10 yd split: Slowest of all RB.
2.79 20yd split: Consistently slow throughout. Worst of all RB.
9 bench reps: Worst of all RB, by a mile.
31.5 verticle: 4th from the bottom.

Maybe he will show up and surprise me, but I'm not holding my breath. At this point, I'm thinking Parker-Barlow-Davenport.
Old 05-12-2007, 10:59 AM   #7
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Quote:
I don't know about this guy. He seems to have some character issues or maybe he's not real smart. For some reason Maurice Clarett keeps popping into my head when his name is brought up. Also, his combine results were pretty bad.

4.77 40 yd: Slowest of all RB.
1.65 10 yd split: Slowest of all RB.
2.79 20yd split: Consistently slow throughout. Worst of all RB.
9 bench reps: Worst of all RB, by a mile.
31.5 verticle: 4th from the bottom.

Maybe he will show up and surprise me, but I'm not holding my breath. At this point, I'm thinking Parker-Barlow-Davenport.
..that does suck...I knew he came in out of shape..but that is awful...I was basing my assessment on his college ability..but those stats scare the crap out of me....You may be right about Parker/Barlow/Davenport
Old 05-12-2007, 12:04 PM   #8
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamberts-lost-tooth View Post
..that does suck...I knew he came in out of shape..but that is awful...I was basing my assessment on his college ability..but those stats scare the crap out of me....You may be right about Parker/Barlow/Davenport
Hey, you never know LLT. The guy might come in surprise everybody, but after seeing his combine results and his past character issues I'm not very high on the guy. Maurice Clarett, similar prospect (IMO)....one year then nothing at all.

I wonder if Spaeth and Russell were on Tomlin's wishlist given the Minnesota connection? But I don't think Russell even played football in the time Tomlin was there.
Old 05-12-2007, 12:40 PM   #9
coachspeak33
Banned

Member Number: 2231

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan View Post
Someone who is happy to play for the Steelers while making $500k yr ? What a novel idea. Hey Faneca, you gone yet? Don't let the door hit your big azz on the way out.
do you realize that a team with nothing but 500k players probably woudl fare very well...they may be great guys....but u gotta have talent to win football games....unfortunately talent cost money, mr. rooney
coachspeak33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 12:40 PM   #10
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Quote:
Hey, you never know LLT. The guy might come in surprise everybody, but after seeing his combine results and his past character issues I'm not very high on the guy. Maurice Clarett, similar prospect (IMO)....one year then nothing at all.

I wonder if Spaeth and Russell were on Tomlin's wishlist given the Minnesota connection? But I don't think Russell even played football in the time Tomlin was there.
Gotta admit..I do like the two UDFA's and the Vet playing for minimum story line!!