Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 05-12-2007, 10:42 PM   #1
FastWillieParker39
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 4348
Default Spring Positives and Negatives

So here is what I think are the positives and negatives of the Steelers SPRING EDITION.

Offense Positives - Last year for Ben IMO was an abbriation. He had a lot of unfortuante circumstances that happened to him that were out of the ordirnary. When Ben is injured the offense as a whole is different and that was apparent last year. When the Ben is healthy, Ben is very good, when Ben is very good the offense is very good. We defiantly saw that the last 8 games. We have a RB that is emerging as one of the best in the NFL and is a vital part of our offense. He is a defiante playmaker who obviously has the ability to change the game in one run. I expect a lot out of him this year. The WR corp is better than most people think. Hines is still Hines Ward as we all know and love. Santoino Holmes showed he has the ability to be a very good WR in the 2nd half of the year. Nate Washington was a came on very nicely last year. Heath Miller isn't getting used as often as he should and if I were Tomlin I would be aware of that. We have two true leaders on this offense in Hines Ward and Ben Roethlisberger who I feel won't let this team underachieve for the second straight year.

Offensive Negatives - The offensive line is two ways. Last year the Oline wasn't protecting Ben very well at all and it showed. Maybe it was because some players are getting older like Hartings was or maybe because well there not that good. Also, Alan Fancea could be a cancer in the locker room. He is acting like a spoiled brat about the whole situation and that could rub off on some players. Some players might feel down about the whole situation or they might think "huh Faneca derserves more, maybe I do too" and then they act like a spoiled brat about it. Also, Willie Parker might pull a Roethlisberger of last year thinking that he's all that and a bag of chips and not work as hard and not play up to his potential.

Defensive Positives - Just like the offense the defense came along very nicely in the 2nd half ot the season. Well except when they played the Ravens. I expect the secondary to get better next year with Anthony Smith and Troy Polamalu flying all over the field. While we do lose Porter, we get Timmons who hopefully catches on to our style of defense whether if its 3-4 or 4-3. I expect the Steelers to keep stopping the run this season.

Defensive Negatives - Unlike the offense this team doesn't have a true leader since Porter got released. Who is going to step up? Polamalu? Farrior? or will it be someone you don't suspect like Townsend or Hampton. Time will tell. Ike Taylor went from a very good CB in 05, to a CB who couldn't do anything in 06. He is defiantly a question mark.

I know I didnt' have as much on the defense as I did on the offense but I couldn't think of anything else.

Anyways, with the players trying to impress the new coach, the team will not want to be playoff-less again, I think the Steelers will add 2 more wins to the win column and make the playoffs as a wild card.

Bash away.

P.S. This might change as get into training camp.
Old 05-12-2007, 11:02 PM   #2
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370
Default Re: Spring Positives and Negatives

I agree for the most part.

I don't think Willie is gonna get lazy and play under his potential.Remember,he wasn't some college star,he was a UDFA who was lucky enough to have Duce and Bettis hurt enough at the same time to get to start.

He isn't done proving people wrong,he'll be done when he retires.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 11:10 PM   #3
GBMelBlount
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 5140
Thanked 2,067 Times in 946 Posts

Only question marks this year is OL, QB, RB, WR, DL, LB & secondary. other than that....we'll see. just kidding. I feel really good about our potential and my only main question mark is OL IMHO.
GBMelBlount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 12:07 AM   #4
coachspeak33
Banned

Member Number: 2231

One of the biggest positives in my mind is how tomlin handled all of the BS that took place this weekend....I think i was more pissed and nervous than tomlin, HAHAHA...he was cool as a cucumber....hopefully a sign of good things to come
coachspeak33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 06:31 AM   #5
Elvis
Banned

Member Number: 2390

I just hope the Faneca deal gets done soon so that it wont become a locker room cancer to our young team...
Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 06:55 AM   #6
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,322 Times in 1,411 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

Faneca needs to be traded so we can get something out of him.
Galax Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 11:25 AM   #7
The Duke
Living Legend

Member Number: 4800

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers123 View Post
So here is what I think are the positives and negatives of the Steelers SPRING EDITION.

Offense Positives - Last year for Ben IMO was an abbriation. He had a lot of unfortuante circumstances that happened to him that were out of the ordirnary. When Ben is injured the offense as a whole is different and that was apparent last year. When the Ben is healthy, Ben is very good, when Ben is very good the offense is very good. We defiantly saw that the last 8 games. We have a RB that is emerging as one of the best in the NFL and is a vital part of our offense. He is a defiante playmaker who obviously has the ability to change the game in one run. I expect a lot out of him this year. The WR corp is better than most people think. Hines is still Hines Ward as we all know and love. Santoino Holmes showed he has the ability to be a very good WR in the 2nd half of the year. Nate Washington was a came on very nicely last year. Heath Miller isn't getting used as often as he should and if I were Tomlin I would be aware of that. We have two true leaders on this offense in Hines Ward and Ben Roethlisberger who I feel won't let this team underachieve for the second straight year.

Offensive Negatives - The offensive line is two ways. Last year the Oline wasn't protecting Ben very well at all and it showed. Maybe it was because some players are getting older like Hartings was or maybe because well there not that good. Also, Alan Fancea could be a cancer in the locker room. He is acting like a spoiled brat about the whole situation and that could rub off on some players. Some players might feel down about the whole situation or they might think "huh Faneca derserves more, maybe I do too" and then they act like a spoiled brat about it. Also, Willie Parker might pull a Roethlisberger of last year thinking that he's all that and a bag of chips and not work as hard and not play up to his potential.

Defensive Positives - Just like the offense the defense came along very nicely in the 2nd half ot the season. Well except when they played the Ravens. I expect the secondary to get better next year with Anthony Smith and Troy Polamalu flying all over the field. While we do lose Porter, we get Timmons who hopefully catches on to our style of defense whether if its 3-4 or 4-3. I expect the Steelers to keep stopping the run this season.

Defensive Negatives - Unlike the offense this team doesn't have a true leader since Porter got released. Who is going to step up? Polamalu? Farrior? or will it be someone you don't suspect like Townsend or Hampton. Time will tell. Ike Taylor went from a very good CB in 05, to a CB who couldn't do anything in 06. He is defiantly a question mark.

I know I didnt' have as much on the defense as I did on the offense but I couldn't think of anything else.

Anyways, with the players trying to impress the new coach, the team will not want to be playoff-less again, I think the Steelers will add 2 more wins to the win column and make the playoffs as a wild card.

Bash away.

P.S. This might change as get into training camp.

Great post. you should send it to the steelers. Shows all our problems and what should be improved and avoided.
The Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 12:51 PM   #8
SteelerFanInCA
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 875

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachspeak33 View Post
One of the biggest positives in my mind is how tomlin handled all of the BS that took place this weekend....I think i was more pissed and nervous than tomlin, HAHAHA...he was cool as a cucumber....hopefully a sign of good things to come
Have to agree with you there. It was nice seeing Tomlin remain level headed through out the weekend. I like what this guy brings to the table.
SteelerFanInCA is offline   Reply With Quote