Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2012 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 04-30-2007, 07:18 AM   #1
Elvis
Banned

Member Number: 2390
Default What is Your Draft Analysis?

Mine kind of looks like this:
1. LB Lawrence Timmons FSU
I like the pick for all the right reasons, we need to replace Joey Porter and we took the first true step in that direction.
2. DE/LB Lamar Woodley Michigan
I would have liked to have seen C Ryan Kalil here but we have to take what we got. I like his passrushing skills and the numbers show that he was productive.
3. TE/OL Matt Spaeth Minnesota
This pick kind of stumped me until I read the Steelers.com article, now I think that he fits in the Steelers future rather nicely.
4. P Daniel Sepulveda Baylor
I Love This Pick. He will be a pro bowl type kicker for us for years to come.
4. DE Ryan McBeal Oklahoma St.
I almost had this guy on my mock draft contest, but anyway, I think he gives us a little help with depth. Honestly dont know that much about him.
5. OG Cameron Stephenson Rutgers
Sounds like he was the best of the OL's from that Rutgers team that had a great team this past year and they were very good at protecting the QB and opening holes for their RB's.. Good pick
5. DB William Gay Louisville
I guess that Tomlin and co. feel that we have enough talent at the DB position to wait this long to draft some help. And maybe he will pan out, I hope so.
7. WR Dallas Baker Florida
I like this pick even though I think that the Steelers should have gotten someone earlier in this draft. He has good size but is slow and doesnt block that well, he will have to learn to block along with Hines and Co. or he wont last long.
Grade C .... These are only my opinions, I am not working for the NFL or the Steelers so dont take me to heart, just expressing my opinions.. Have Fun
Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 09:40 AM   #2
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Re: What is Your Draft Analysis?

For the record, I'm more than willing to give all these guys a shot and I find it hard to sit here and completely criticize/bash the individuals who do this type of stuff for a living. I also find it hard to jump on players who I have never seen play a down of pro ball. I tip my hat to the staff who make the picks and here's to hoping our boy's pan out. These are just my opinions......

Lawrence Timmons: He will contribute a good bit this season while spelling Harrison or Haggans. I wouldn't be surprised to see him take the starting position late this season or next season. Seems like a versatile player who is capable of covering good TE's (Heap, Winslow, etc.). Up until this point, Troy was the only guy who could really cover good TE's. This should also help Troy do what he does best, instead of a following a TE around he will be able to crack the backfield and roam freely.

LaMarr Woodley: Good pass rusher. IMO, Timmons and Woodley will be our startings LB's in the years to come. A possible situational pass rusher this season and hopefully will make the transition into the starting position next season.

Matt Spaeth: Much like with the rest of the Pittsburgh area, I did not understand this pick at all when it was first announced. After sitting back and taking a deep breath I now feel Spaeth adds a new dimension to our offense. At 6'7 he seems to get open in the center of the field. Looks like he has solid hands. A little slow but we are not making the guy a WR. This signing may also be a sign that we plan on using Heath Miller more often. Both are nice targets for Ben.

Daniel Sepulveda: With Gardocki aging (basically gone), why not take the best in order to go up against Barr? Field position battles seem to be underrated, but after watching Gardocki last year I'm all for this signing. A future pro-bowl punter.

Ryan McBean: A back up this year. Maybe give Keisel a fight next year and eventually replace Kirshke.

Cameron Stephonson: Larry Zierlein seems to be pretty high on the guy. I wouldn't be surprised if he's placed on the practice squad and makes the team next year. Project guard. Possibility of starting in two or three years.

William Gay: While many seem to be down on this guy I feel he has a good shot at making the team. Colclough scares the hell out of me and has not exactly stepped up to the plate. Maybe a possible nickel back when Townsend is gone?

Dallas Baker: Many are high on this guy but dropping to the seventh round leaves me a bit skeptical. This guy can go in two directions. Freddy Gibson or Colston Jr.

Overall, not a bad draft in my opinion. I don't feel it's nearly as bad as some in this city are making it out to be (big shocker there). Once again and IMO only, it seems as if we have at least three long term starters (Woodley, Sepulveda and Timmons), three guys that could develop into starters or long term solid backups (Stephenson, Gay and McBean), a guy who could add another dimension to our offense (Spaeth) and a WR who could either turn out to be a Gibson or Coltson (Baker) type player.
Old 04-30-2007, 09:45 AM   #3
Jeremy
Banned

Member Number: 2579

I'm not going to go player by player. I like the upside of everyone except for Woodley and McBean. I don't see those two being on the team in 3 years.
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 10:37 AM   #4
Crushzilla
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 5106

Well, I'm not a HUGE college football fan, but I catch highlights and have watched the scout videos on our picks. Also my class was cancelled and I'm bored. So here goes:

Timmons:
From the videos he looks like a solid tackler, also has good athleticism moving past blockers. Most of the clips I saw was him getting into the backfield and blowing up the Quarterback after the throw. I'm not sure if he can cut it when it comes to coverage. If he can't then I don't see him going exceptionally far here.

Woodly:
I like him. He comes from a high caliber program at Michigan where he was regarded as a key member of their defense. He may lack speed, but speed is not essential at the end, though it does help. If we plan on running a lot of zone schemes where the end moves into the flat, then he can be very valuable since he seems to have good fundamantals and body control to make solid open field hits.

Spaeth:
Scratch your head all you want. We have him now. He comes from a Minnesota offense that primarily sticks to run over pass. From what I read he isn't the greatest blocker, but can be valuable to Arians new offense over the middle to move the chains. This would also lock up the safeties for deep routes. His size alone, 6'7, has a lot of upside on a recieving core that badly needs it.

Sepulveda:
Don't know a lot about him. He's a punter. If he can coffin kick and have a quick release, he's ok by me. Moving up picks in the 4th round seems odd on a punter, but apparently he's the real deal. And his frame, he used to play linebacker, means we now have the buffest kicking team in the game alongside Jeff 'Quadzilla' Reed. These two alone can add depth at LB (I hope someone takes that as a serious statement and tells me how dumb I am).

McBean:
I know nothing about this guy. Maybe some depth.

Stephonson:
See Ryan McBean.

Gay:
If he can shoot the J like Rudy Gay then he should add some depth at shooting guard.

Baker:
It hard to put much faith in a 7th rounder, but everyone seems to have Colstonitis. He is fresh off of a national championship team, but I don't see him making much of a splash. Let's hope he does.

Randall:
Lacking in academics, but had a lot of upside before Minnesota gave him the boot. If he can get back in shape then he may help take some of the running load off of Willie. I'd like to think that the only reason he wasn't drafted was because of the fact that he lacks ethic at times. If Tomlin can whip him into shape he may make the team. After all, Minnesota is looking like Auburn with backs like Maroney and Barber III emerging.

Capezzi:
Ehh

Stapleton:
Wait, didn't we take a Rutgers... oh... that's another one... ok

(This report card has very little factual basis behind it and should not be used around any water coolers... your friends will throw things at you)
Old 04-30-2007, 11:10 AM   #5
Jeremy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crushzilla View Post
Well, I'm not a HUGE college football fan, but I catch highlights and have watched the scout videos on our picks. Also my class was cancelled and I'm bored. So here goes:

Timmons:
From the videos he looks like a solid tackler, also has good athleticism moving past blockers. Most of the clips I saw was him getting into the backfield and blowing up the Quarterback after the throw. I'm not sure if he can cut it when it comes to coverage. If he can't then I don't see him going exceptionally far here.

Woodly:
I like him. He comes from a high caliber program at Michigan where he was regarded as a key member of their defense. He may lack speed, but speed is not essential at the end, though it does help. If we plan on running a lot of zone schemes where the end moves into the flat, then he can be very valuable since he seems to have good fundamantals and body control to make solid open field hits.

Spaeth:
Scratch your head all you want. We have him now. He comes from a Minnesota offense that primarily sticks to run over pass. From what I read he isn't the greatest blocker, but can be valuable to Arians new offense over the middle to move the chains. This would also lock up the safeties for deep routes. His size alone, 6'7, has a lot of upside on a recieving core that badly needs it.

Sepulveda:
Don't know a lot about him. He's a punter. If he can coffin kick and have a quick release, he's ok by me. Moving up picks in the 4th round seems odd on a punter, but apparently he's the real deal. And his frame, he used to play linebacker, means we now have the buffest kicking team in the game alongside Jeff 'Quadzilla' Reed. These two alone can add depth at LB (I hope someone takes that as a serious statement and tells me how dumb I am).

McBean:
I know nothing about this guy. Maybe some depth.

Stephonson:
See Ryan McBean.

Gay:
If he can shoot the J like Rudy Gay then he should add some depth at shooting guard.

Baker:
It hard to put much faith in a 7th rounder, but everyone seems to have Colstonitis. He is fresh off of a national championship team, but I don't see him making much of a splash. Let's hope he does.

Randall:
Lacking in academics, but had a lot of upside before Minnesota gave him the boot. If he can get back in shape then he may help take some of the running load off of Willie. I'd like to think that the only reason he wasn't drafted was because of the fact that he lacks ethic at times. If Tomlin can whip him into shape he may make the team. After all, Minnesota is looking like Auburn with backs like Maroney and Barber III emerging.

Capezzi:
Ehh

Stapleton:
Wait, didn't we take a Rutgers... oh... that's another one... ok

(This report card has very little factual basis behind it and should not be used around any water coolers... your friends will throw things at you)
All Dallas Baker did at Florida was make big catches in the red zone. He becomes one of our best red zone threats the day he takes the field for his first mini camp.
Old 04-30-2007, 11:15 AM   #6
Crushzilla
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 5106

I hope you're right, Jeremy. I read that he would rather take a jump ball than make cathces over the middle (who can blame him), but if he has the ups I'll gladly take him in the red zone for some nice fade routes
Old 04-30-2007, 11:19 AM   #7
Jeremy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crushzilla View Post
I hope you're right, Jeremy. I read that he would rather take a jump ball than make cathces over the middle (who can blame him), but if he has the ups I'll gladly take him in the red zone for some nice fade routes
Just imagine a red zone offense where we have a tall wide receiver who can run the fade route as well as anyone in football, a big tight end, a power running back, and a tough veteran who can go over the middle. Sounds pretty nice to me.
Old 04-30-2007, 02:22 PM   #8
onthebus36
Bench Warmer
Supporter

Member Number: 5208

Overall, I'd give the draft a B+.

I like both the Timmons and Woodley picks. I think Timmons will be the first to contribute but I also like the upside on Woodley.

The Spaeth pick puzzled me as well at first but since I've digested it a bit, I like the fit. Arians supposedly wants to run some three tight end packages and I also think he could be a productive option on third downs. That's a big target!

My first reaction on Sepulveda was "Punter?" but since I've learned more about him and seen that killer footage of hit jacking up that returner, I'm a fan.

I think McBeal is a depth guy and that's not a bad thing.

I have very little to base this on, but I think Stephenson could be a monster. That's based more on a vibe than anything else but I think he'll develop into a contributor. (Of course, I also liked Lee Vickers so...)

I have no info and not much of an opinion on Gay but I think, like many of you, that Dallas Baker was a good pickup and will be a threat in the redzone.
onthebus36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 09:49 AM   #9
Davison_K
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 5369

I really wish that Pittsburgh would have drafted Tony Hunt in the third round. I was completely dumbfounded when I saw this pick. I still am dumbfounded about this pick. Ahhhh well, that is why they get paid and I sit around on message boards....
Davison_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 10:46 AM   #10
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

As I have said..Eric Fowler..the UDFA wide reciever out of Grand Valley ,may turn out to be a better prospect that Baker....but to bolster some confidence in those who think we may have a late round sleeper....Dallas Baker is not only 6'3...but has long 35-inch arms and 10 inch hands... 35 1/2-inch vertical jump.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote