Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 05-15-2007, 12:23 PM   #11
alittlejazzbird
Team Captain

Member Number: 1403
Default Re: LeBeau brewing up a new wrinkle

Just please, PLEASE, mighty football gods.....keep them all healthy! The best plans and schemes are nothing without healthy players to execute them....

Every day I read more and more positive and inspiring things about Coach Tomlin and his staff, and you can feel the (cautious) optimism rising in the players as well.

Clearly it's the spectre of last season haunting me, but each time I start to get over the moon excited about the potential I feel radiating from this coach and this team, I have this terrible feeling that takes me right back to that moment, driving in my car at lunchtime on June 12, 2006, when Stephen A. Smith (1050ESPN Radio in New York) said "we have some major breaking news to report...Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger has been seriously injured in a motorcycle accident in downtown Pittsburgh...no further details are available on his condition...." I pulled into a parking lot and sat there shaking for about 20 minutes, calling everyone in Pittsburgh I could think of, and nobody knew anything except that it was possible he might not survive.

Sorry for that little digression (it actually made my heart pound just typing it, that's how vivid that memory is to me), but I wonder if I'm alone in wondering if the other shoe will drop. We have SO much to be looking forward to in this upcoming season....let's all keep our fingers and toes and everything else crossed that everyone stays healthy, and THEN we will see a fearsome, AWEsome Steelers team!!!
alittlejazzbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 12:25 PM   #12
polamalufan43
Team President

Location: Where the streets are paved in black and gold stones
Member Number: 3344

Finally, some good news. I can see 99 doing great in the role and I think this will be a positive change of scenery for him.

~PF43
Old 05-15-2007, 01:01 PM   #13
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by alittlejazzbird View Post
Just please, PLEASE, mighty football gods.....keep them all healthy! The best plans and schemes are nothing without healthy players to execute them....

Every day I read more and more positive and inspiring things about Coach Tomlin and his staff, and you can feel the (cautious) optimism rising in the players as well.

Clearly it's the spectre of last season haunting me, but each time I start to get over the moon excited about the potential I feel radiating from this coach and this team, I have this terrible feeling that takes me right back to that moment, driving in my car at lunchtime on June 12, 2006, when Stephen A. Smith (1050ESPN Radio in New York) said "we have some major breaking news to report...Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger has been seriously injured in a motorcycle accident in downtown Pittsburgh...no further details are available on his condition...." I pulled into a parking lot and sat there shaking for about 20 minutes, calling everyone in Pittsburgh I could think of, and nobody knew anything except that it was possible he might not survive.

Sorry for that little digression (it actually made my heart pound just typing it, that's how vivid that memory is to me), but I wonder if I'm alone in wondering if the other shoe will drop. We have SO much to be looking forward to in this upcoming season....let's all keep our fingers and toes and everything else crossed that everyone stays healthy, and THEN we will see a fearsome, AWEsome Steelers team!!!
We love your posting here...

BUT PLEASE... NEVER BRING THAT UP AGAIN!!!!

I just about went nuts reading it!!!!

Lets look to a bright future PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay.. Freak out over..

I know what you mean!! However, this year, I think the other shoe to drop won't be Ben's, or anyone elses accident, rather, it has already dropped in the name of Faneca.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 01:16 PM   #14
alittlejazzbird
Team Captain

Member Number: 1403

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
We love your posting here...

BUT PLEASE... NEVER BRING THAT UP AGAIN!!!!

I just about went nuts reading it!!!!

Lets look to a bright future PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay.. Freak out over..

I know what you mean!! However, this year, I think the other shoe to drop won't be Ben's, or anyone elses accident, rather, it has already dropped in the name of Faneca.
Sorry about the freakout, Preacher! I'm one of those fans who cares SO MUCH about my team that I never actually enjoy watching them play; I can only bask in the glow after the win, and after my pulse has returned to normal and my stomach has un-knotted, you know? You're absolutely right...subject closed!

I feel more positive and hopeful about this team than about any upcoming season I can remember in quite a while (aside from 2005, coming off that 15-1 record). We're fortunate to have retained Coach LeBeau, because it only stands to reason when you have a head coach in Tomlin who appears to be a great motivator, you'll have already talented players theoretically playing at their very highest levels, and that's when a supremely talented defensive wizard like LeBeau can work nothing short of magic.

Even though the intricacies of LeBeau's schemes are still somewhat over my head (I'm always learning, though), I can't wait to see how they play out this year, and I do enjoy reading about them. I get this mental picture of him and Coach Tomlin drawing up those diagrams (on napkins, envelopes, arms, just like a recent article noted) while indulging in some maniacal laughter a la Number 2 and Doctor Evil in the Austin Powers movies.....MMMMWWWWAAAAHAAAAAHAAAAHAAAAAAA......

Honestly, I'm not that worried about the Faneca situation. Business is business; I posted my thoughts about that in the "Are the Rooneys Cheap?" thread. Alan can be disgruntled till the cows come home; he's still a pro and a standup guy even if he's ticked off. I 100% believe he'll play his heart out this year, because that's what he does. It's in his best interests to do so, particularly if he's auditioning for a new gig.
alittlejazzbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 01:25 PM   #15
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by alittlejazzbird View Post
I'm one of those fans who cares SO MUCH about my team that I never actually enjoy watching them play; I can only bask in the glow after the win, and after my pulse has returned to normal and my stomach has un-knotted, you know?
Yep, I know - I'm the same way.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 01:32 PM   #16
SteelerWatch
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 5526

I posted about this earlier this morning on my site (see my sig for the link) and dubbed it a 2-5 defense. I guess it's more of a 2.5-4.5 defense, though.

I've felt since Tomlin arrived and speculation started flying about a switch to 4-3 that it would be in their best interest to stop committing one way or another. More than half the game is mental, whether people want to believe it or not. With a good game plan -- and proper contingency planning so you can recover when something with your game plan goes wrong -- a decent team can beat the most athletic team long before the coin toss. Throwing the same look at an opposing offense all game long only helps your opponent, not you. Taking off the shackles of scheme and utilizing both the situation and your personnel to your own team's advantage will create far more wins than relying on the same-old, same-old.

That said, I wish we would have either traded up for Gaines Adams or down for Anthony Spencer, as they both would have given the team the perfect "hybrid" player who could not just play in, but excel in, both schemes. That's not to take anything away from who we got, though. Our top two picks are both mid-first-round talent and they will both have an immediate impact.
Old 05-15-2007, 02:10 PM   #17
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Papa D has been reborn!

I say mix it up and confuse the hell out of opponents' offenses. Variety is the spice of....well....Champions!

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 02:29 PM   #18
ben2hines=6
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 2277

maybe the dolphins should have taken a closer look at porters stats.....ouch 12 hurries and only 7 sacks.......seems like the dolphins looked more into the name than the production
ben2hines=6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 03:07 PM   #19
moedap
Starter

Member Number: 2890

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2hines=6 View Post
maybe the dolphins should have taken a closer look at porters stats.....ouch 12 hurries and only 7 sacks.......seems like the dolphins looked more into the name than the production
I wouldnt read too much into that stat with Porter one way or the other. Its obvious that Faneca, Porter, Cowher, and Grimm had some issues with Management last season. Porter more so than any other player fed off of Cowhers emotions and last year Cowher was here physically but mentally and spiritually he was gone. Had Cowher been amped maybe Porter would have put in a better season.
moedap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 03:29 PM   #20
BIGBENFASTWILLIE
Living Legend

Member Number: 618

New offense........Upgraded defense.......I can't wait until the season begins.