Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 09-05-2005, 01:51 PM   #11
Koopa
Living Legend

Member Number: 508
Default Re: Ward signs four year deal

hell yeah! this is the best news i've heard for awhile, i was afraid the jersey i ordered was going to be worthless after this season (i'm weird, i don't like to wear jerseys of a player that doesn't play for the team anymore, so i always wait to see if they are going to sign a long term deal). now ward can go out there and just play.
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 03:10 PM   #12
geran42o
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 48

bout damn time. Now let's play some Steeler Football.

geran42o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 03:26 PM   #13
steelersgirl86
Starter

Member Number: 331

YIPPEE...I am so glad that is over with......
Old 09-05-2005, 03:58 PM   #14
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

Member Number: 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelR1
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Now lets play some DAMN football!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Hines and Management!!!!!
Right on!!!!!!!!!! No more distractions, its time to get everyone healthy and make our run!!

Woo Hoo !! I knew they could do it!!
BlitzburghRockCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 04:12 PM   #15
Rush58
Starter

Member Number: 516

Great news! Now let's get to business! Go Steelers!
Rush58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 05:54 PM   #16
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

Member Number: 70
Default Ward Inks $25.8M Contract With Steelers

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cg...s140051D58.DTL

Hines Ward now knows how much he is valued in Pittsburgh. The four-time Pro Bowl wide receiver is one of the few players to walk away from contract negotiations with the Steelers with more money than he expected to get.

Ward, on the verge of becoming the leading receiver in franchise history, agreed Monday to a four-year contract that could be worth as much as $25.8 million and includes $10 million in guaranteed money and more than $2 million in incentives.

If he collects those bonuses, Ward will earn more than the $12 million in assured money he wanted before the extended negotiations began. The Steelers were believed to have originally offered $8 million to $9 million in guaranteed money.

"I think they went out of their way," Ward said of an organization that has long set its own value on player contracts and ignored the huge money deals given by other teams. "It was far more than what I expected."

Ward had one year left on his previous contract, worth $1.67 million this year, and is now signed through 2009. The total value is far less than the $49 million, seven-year deal Eagles wide receiver Terrell Owens wants renegotiated. But Ward, an all-around receiver rather than a gamebreaking downfield threat, was determined to end his career in Pittsburgh.

"I look good in black and gold," he said. "The contract is going to make me work even harder, just to prove I'm worth every penny of what they gave me."

Ward's two-week holdout when training camp began was the first by a veteran Steeler since running back Barry Foster in 1993, and Ward returned Aug. 15 only because the franchise held to its policy of not negotiating with holdouts. The Steelers traditionally don't negotiate during the season, either, which led to a busy weekend of talks between agent Eugene Parker and the team.

"These things can get ugly and can become major distractions," team president Art Rooney II said. "While these things can be difficult, it was something we got through without having it become the kind of distraction that can really disrupt a team."

Ward had something else going for him in his negotiations: fan support. Ward's physical style of play and passion for the game, at a skill position, have come to so personify the Steelers that the fans clearly sided with him.

It also helped that his current contract was so undervalued he was barely among the NFL's top 40 highest-paid receivers.

"I was a little worried with the holdout, of people questioning my character and being put in the category of a T.O.," Ward said. "But I went to pick up my wife and son at the airport yesterday and the lady at the Great Steak place said, `I can't give you a million dollars, but I can give you a steak sandwich for free.' I got a kick out of that."

Relieved at finally reaching a deal the Steelers previously called their top offseason priority, Ward went out Monday and had what he called "a great practice" before Sunday's opener against Tennessee.

"I can go into the season focused now. ... I'm going to play until the wheels fall off," he said. "I know only one style and one way to play it, and that's how I have to play."

Ward, 29, has four of the top five receptions seasons in club history, but he is also widely regarded as the league's best blocking receiver. He has caught at least 61 passes in every season but one since he became a starter in 1999.

Ward averaged 95 catches over the last four seasons, including a franchise-record 112 in 2002, when he also had a career-high 12 touchdown catches. He had 80 receptions last season, his fewest since 2000, and four touchdowns as the Steelers ran the ball 61 percent of the time, but was chosen for his fourth consecutive Pro Bowl.

A 1998 third-round draft pick from Georgia, Ward has caught 505 passes in his career, 32 behind Hall of Famer John Stallworth's franchise record. His 88 consecutive games with at least one catch, an ongoing streak that began in 1998, is a club record.

Last month, the Steelers gave nose tackle Casey Hampton a five-year contract that included a $6.975 million signing bonus. But while wide receiver Antwaan Randle El and safety Chris Hope can become free agents after this season, Rooney said it is unlikely any more deals will be reached this season.
BlitzburghRockCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 06:05 PM   #17
SteelR1
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 512
Default Re: Ward signs four year deal....Updated w/ Financial Terms..

"I can go into the season focused now. ... I'm going to play until the wheels fall off," he said. "I know only one style and one way to play it, and that's how I have to play."

I think things may get a little INTERESTING THIS YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-05-2005, 06:05 PM   #18
Prosdo
Banned

Member Number: 86

Hines Ward is the kind of guy that just fits in Pittsburgh. He has that tough blue collar work ethic and I think the fans love that about him. I'm just glad he is going to stay in the black and gold. Can't wait for football season especially since he is signed and ready to go!
Prosdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 06:07 PM   #19
SteelR1
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 512

With all that guarenteed money, I wonder what's the first big toy he's going to buy???
Old 09-05-2005, 06:11 PM   #20
SteelerSal
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 467

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelR1
With all that guarenteed money, I wonder what's the first big toy he's going to buy???

Brass Knuckles.
SteelerSal is offline   Reply With Quote