Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 05-23-2007, 10:50 AM   #21
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398
Default Re: Falwell:: Goin on up to the spirit in the sky... maybe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
...In other news.
Jesus was compassionate, which means he was generous and empathetic and sympathetic. The Jerry Falwell I saw was pretty bitter and angry and greedy and selfish and wanted fire and hellstone to rain down on anyone who didn't see exactly the same way he did.
Not to turn this into a theological debate but Jesus was also angry and talked of the horrid things that would become people too. Most people, both Christian and non, like to read the "Feel Good" stories from the bible but they fail to see some of the times when Christ was not so "Feel Good"

And remember in his day, Jesus Christ was a rebel and a wanted man!

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 08:07 PM   #22
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
I'm just some guy expressing frustration in front of a few people, and I wasn't really judging, just guessing.

He preached intolerance to a giant audience. Here are some of his quotes.

If you're not a born-again Christian, you're a failure as a human being.

AIDS is not just God's punishment for homosexuals; it is God's punishment for the society that tolerates homosexuals.

I do not believe the homosexual community deserves minority status. One's misbehavior does not qualify him or her for minority status. Blacks, Hispanics, women, etc., are God-ordained minorities who do indeed deserve minority status.

Billy Graham is the chief servant of Satan.

YOu know... It is amazing. When someone quotes a Steeler... many are anxious to jump up and say, "Are you sure that is what was said? You know, you can't trust these sportswriters."

Funny thing is. I just spent the last 15 minutes trying to track down some of these quotes... Funny thing is, all the papers, blogs, etc are all quoting each other, but NONE. Let me repeat that.. NONE are able to give a time and place, and an actual reference to were it happened.

The only thing CLOSE to it was when he said that homosexuality, ACLU, etc. all CONTRIBUTED.. that is, PARTIALLY responsible for the attack on 9-11. Yeah, he was foolish for saying such things. However, if we are going to rip on a dead man for the things he said, PLEASE... FOR THE LOVE OF GOD... VERIFY HE ACTUALLY SAID IT.

Now... Some of you may wonder why I am upset over this. I will tell you why. Because like Falwell, Robertson, and others, I hold some beleifs about homosexuality, abortion, etc. that are considered not politically correct, and thus wrong. I can not tell you how many times I have to STOP a conversation and correct someone because they have just mischaracterized what I have said.

Falwell had a big mouth. He needed to keep it shut until he thought through what he really wanted to say. However, I am sick and tired of thing being attributed to him that he DIDN'T say.

For instance...

TINKY WINKY IS GAY... Nope... Not even close. Matter of fact, Falwell was on BIll Maher when he was hosting politically incorrect and set the record straight... that he NEVER said such a thing. Also... here is the explanation (From a Gay and Lesbian organization) of what really happened

Quote:
Bashing Jerry Falwell is Harmful to Our Cause: A Soulforce Response to the Tinky Winky Tumult

From Mel White

February 17, 1999

For the past few daze, we've been buried under an avalanche of articles and press releases bashing Jerry Falwell for "outing Tinky Winky."

After rushing to condemn him in colorful and indignant sound bites, we learn that Mr. Falwell didn't "out" Tinky at all. J. M. Smith, Senior Editor of Jerry's National Liberty Journal, wrote the column that launched a million quips. Before our surprise attack, Jerry had never seen an episode of the Teletubbies, let alone denounced them.

If anyone outed this cute little character (who is purple, wears a triangular antenna on his head, and carries a purse) it was our own Washington Blade in an April 17, 1998, article. Mr. Smith quoted the article as the source of his column in Falwell's newsletter. The original article suggests that Tinky provides " a great message to kids - not only that it's OK to be gay, but the importance of being well-accessorized." Mr. Smith was simply alerting parents to that claim. http://www.soulforce.org/article/524
So let's see if I get this right. A Gay man called Tinky Winky gay, and that he was a great role model. Then, when it quoted by SOMEONE ELSE in Falwell's newsletter article, It MAGICALLY gets ALL attributed to HIM... and is NOW GAY BASHING?

Here are some other interesting things... WITH SOURCES

Quote:
In an interview with the National Catholic Register published in the May 9, 1982, issue, Falwell said that Ronald Reagan and Pope John Paul II are “the greatest men in my lifetime.”
So much for the Antii-catholic hatred... here is another one.

Quote:
In 1983, Cal Thomas, Moral Majority’s director of communications, said that the group is composed of Jews, Catholics, Mormons, Protestants and some “non-religious” members. He noted that they do not pray in their meetings. Jerry Falwell told a meeting of the Religious Newswriters Association that “if we ever opened a Moral Majority meeting with prayer, we would disintegrate” (The Flaming Torch, Jan.-Feb, 1983, p. 14).
Hmmm... Catholics AND JEWS in this one.

Here is one directed at those hated leftist pigs (please.. READ SARCASM)

Quote:
It was also in 1985 that Falwell invited radical Catholic Senator Edward Kennedy to speak at Liberty Baptist College and Thomas Road Baptist Church. “The Senator announced to the audience of 5,000, ‘I am an American and a Catholic.’ He then lectured them on Pope John XXIII’s renewal of the gospel call and the voice of Catholic bishops in the U.S.A. He opened his speech with these words. ‘I have come here to discuss my beliefs about faith and country, tolerance, and truth in America. (The Flaming Torch, Jan.-Mar. 1985).
Wow... Speaking at LIberty? Speak of that... How about this?

Quote:
"Liberty University confirmed in November that the Rev. Dr. Billy Graham will bring the commencement address for the 1997 graduation exercises on May 3. Dr. Graham is one of the foremost evangelical leaders of the 20th Century. ... It is befitting that Dr. Graham will speak at Liberty's 1997 Commencement, since his grandson, William Franklin (Will) Graham IV, will be among the graduating seniors. (Another grandson, Roy Graham, is a freshman at Liberty.) ... Dr. Falwell said, 'This will be Dr. Graham's first visit to Liberty. THIS COMMENCEMENT ADDRESS WILL NO DOUBT BE REMEMBERED HISTORICALLY IN THE NEXT CENTURY AS ONE OF LIBERTY'S HIGH DAYS. I am grateful that Dr. Graham is taking time from his busy schedule to grace us with his presence" (emphasis added) (National Liberty Journal, December 1996, pp. 1,17).
So much for Billy Graham being satan...

and again on Billy Graham

Quote:
In a statement released on Tuesday, Billy Graham said that, "Jerry Falwell was a close personal friend for many years. We did not always agree on everything, but I knew him to be a man of God. His accomplishments went beyond most clergy of his generation. Some of my grandchildren have attended and currently attend Liberty University. He leaves a gigantic vacuum in the evangelical world. http://www.billygraham.org/News_Arti...?ArticleID=157
That was off Billy Graham's website folks.

Oh yeah... And about that whole Too Righteous thing... well... tell that to Larry Flynt, WHO CALLED FALWELL A FRIEND.

Yep... here is the link.. http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/...opinion-center

Once again... I wished MANY TIMES the man would shut up on national TV. However, if we are going to debate about him, or make comments deriding him in his death, at least, LET US BE ACCURATE please.

IN the end, this proves one thing that I have been saying for quite some time. Christophobia is growing quite strong in America.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 09:00 AM   #23
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
YOu know... It is amazing. When someone quotes a Steeler... many are anxious to jump up and say, "Are you sure that is what was said? You know, you can't trust these sportswriters."

Funny thing is. I just spent the last 15 minutes trying to track down some of these quotes... Funny thing is, all the papers, blogs, etc are all quoting each other, but NONE. Let me repeat that.. NONE are able to give a time and place, and an actual reference to were it happened.

The only thing CLOSE to it was when he said that homosexuality, ACLU, etc. all CONTRIBUTED.. that is, PARTIALLY responsible for the attack on 9-11. Yeah, he was foolish for saying such things. However, if we are going to rip on a dead man for the things he said, PLEASE... FOR THE LOVE OF GOD... VERIFY HE ACTUALLY SAID IT.

Now... Some of you may wonder why I am upset over this. I will tell you why. Because like Falwell, Robertson, and others, I hold some beleifs about homosexuality, abortion, etc. that are considered not politically correct, and thus wrong. I can not tell you how many times I have to STOP a conversation and correct someone because they have just mischaracterized what I have said.

Falwell had a big mouth. He needed to keep it shut until he thought through what he really wanted to say. However, I am sick and tired of thing being attributed to him that he DIDN'T say.

For instance...

TINKY WINKY IS GAY... Nope... Not even close. Matter of fact, Falwell was on BIll Maher when he was hosting politically incorrect and set the record straight... that he NEVER said such a thing. Also... here is the explanation (From a Gay and Lesbian organization) of what really happened

So let's see if I get this right. A Gay man called Tinky Winky gay, and that he was a great role model. Then, when it quoted by SOMEONE ELSE in Falwell's newsletter article, It MAGICALLY gets ALL attributed to HIM... and is NOW GAY BASHING?

Here are some other interesting things... WITH SOURCES

So much for the Antii-catholic hatred... here is another one.

Hmmm... Catholics AND JEWS in this one.

Here is one directed at those hated leftist pigs (please.. READ SARCASM)

Wow... Speaking at LIberty? Speak of that... How about this?

So much for Billy Graham being satan...

and again on Billy Graham

That was off Billy Graham's website folks.

Oh yeah... And about that whole Too Righteous thing... well... tell that to Larry Flynt, WHO CALLED FALWELL A FRIEND.

Yep... here is the link.. http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/...opinion-center

Once again... I wished MANY TIMES the man would shut up on national TV. However, if we are going to debate about him, or make comments deriding him in his death, at least, LET US BE ACCURATE please.

IN the end, this proves one thing that I have been saying for quite some time. Christophobia is growing quite strong in America.

And the congregation said, "AMEN!"

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 05:07 PM   #24
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

Alright, don't take my word for it.

http://www.star-telegram.com/229/story/103385.html

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...051502368.html

http://www.ajc.com/opinion/content/o...520edtuck.html

The last piece contains this, which I think sums up the man and his position nicely: "Ascendant Christian conservatives forced traditional Republicans ? those who believed in a more circumspect government that stayed out of adults' bedrooms as well as their pockets ? to swallow their principles. The Grand Old Party is now hostage to a group of flat-earthers who deny evolution, mock gays, denounce stem cell research, suspect contraceptives and believe all Muslims are going to hell. Indeed, some of them actually want a conflagration in the Middle East because they believe it will hasten the Second Coming of Christ."
Old 05-24-2007, 06:08 PM   #25
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Alright, don't take my word for it.

http://www.star-telegram.com/229/story/103385.html

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...051502368.html

http://www.ajc.com/opinion/content/o...520edtuck.html

The last piece contains this, which I think sums up the man and his position nicely: "Ascendant Christian conservatives forced traditional Republicans ? those who believed in a more circumspect government that stayed out of adults' bedrooms as well as their pockets ? to swallow their principles. The Grand Old Party is now hostage to a group of flat-earthers who deny evolution, mock gays, denounce stem cell research, suspect contraceptives and believe all Muslims are going to hell. Indeed, some of them actually want a conflagration in the Middle East because they believe it will hasten the Second Coming of Christ."
Once again...

None of the quotes have sources. THAT IS MY POINT. They don't source back to the ORIGINAL COMMENT..

Furthermore, I noticed that many of the comments were left out of these quotes. What was left was quotes that about half of the country would beleive.

And yes, according to the bible, the Antichrist in the book of revelation HAS TO BE Jewish. Otherwise, he could not proclaim to FULFILL JEWISH MESSIANIC PROPHECIES.

Logic... what DO they teach in them schools these days. (Points to anyone who can locate THAT quote.)
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 06:31 PM   #26
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

I forgot how passionate people become on the subject of religion. That middle source was the Washington Post, and in the article Falwell admitted his quote and backpeddled and said he misspoke. That's pretty credible. But if you don't believe it, then you don't believe it.

Does attacking me and calling me illogical help? If so, how so? As for logic, isn't it logical to actually know and understand that the scripture has been so manipulated and changed through multiple translations over time to make it almost unrecognizable over the ages? The Catholic church did a good little number on it, too.