Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 05-17-2007, 01:21 AM   #11
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Default Re: The War against Hemp

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
dont say were gonna ban banana peels!
(With apologies to Donovan)

I'm just mad about Saffron....
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 02:53 AM   #12
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
because of its usefulness or because people smoke it?

what is your stance on alcohol (should it be banned or not)?
My response was to your and Stillers1 statements in regards to smoking it, which is why I referred to it as POT...

Other uses... HEMP... I really don't care. Heck, I hear it makes for REALLY good rope.

But as for a "Few" People claiming POT is a gateway drug...

In my experience in dealing with people on hard drugs... ALMOST EVERY ONE OF THEM had smoked pot... as a beginning. So the fact of pot being a gateway drug is far from arguable.

My stance on alcohol... I do not drink, I teach my church that it is wise not to drink. Should it be banned? From anyone under the age of 21. I am comfortable with the laws on alcohol. The history and culture of alcohol, especially beer and wine is VASTLY different then that of pot. Alcohol is used as a SAFE exchange for water in many cultures, which America derives her culture from. Alcohol was also part of many religious celebrations... including the Lord's Supper (Communion for you catholics! ).

The truth of the matter is... Alcohol is consumed for many reasons, not just to get drunk. Pot on the otherhand, is smoked 99 percent of the time for one reason... to get high.

And yes... I left the one percent for the "medical marijuana" argument... and that is being generous. You oughta see some of the people around here that have "ailments" that allow them to get a potcard.

But the basic argument is one from emotion... and one that just wont change, because of the emotional nature. I cannot tell you how many people, KIDS even, I have seen throw thier life away because they just wanted to get high... cause after all... its not addictive... it can't hurt ya!

yeah right. Come walk a mile in my shoes. let me introduce you to the destroyed lives.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 08:12 AM   #13
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
My response was to your and Stillers1 statements in regards to smoking it, which is why I referred to it as POT...

Other uses... HEMP... I really don't care. Heck, I hear it makes for REALLY good rope.

In my experience in dealing with people on hard drugs... ALMOST EVERY ONE OF THEM had smoked pot... as a beginning. So the fact of pot being a gateway drug is far from arguable.

My stance on alcohol... I do not drink, I teach my church that it is wise not to drink. Should it be banned? From anyone under the age of 21. I am comfortable with the laws on alcohol. The history and culture of alcohol, especially beer and wine is VASTLY different then that of pot. Alcohol is used as a SAFE exchange for water in many cultures, which America derives her culture from. Alcohol was also part of many religious celebrations... including the Lord's Supper (Communion for you catholics! ).

The truth of the matter is... Alcohol is consumed for many reasons, not just to get drunk. Pot on the otherhand, is smoked 99 percent of the time for one reason... to get high.

And yes... I left the one percent for the "medical marijuana" argument... and that is being generous. You oughta see some of the people around here that have "ailments" that allow them to get a potcard.

But the basic argument is one from emotion... and one that just wont change, because of the emotional nature. I cannot tell you how many people, KIDS even, I have seen throw thier life away because they just wanted to get high... cause after all... its not addictive... it can't hurt ya!

yeah right. Come walk a mile in my shoes. let me introduce you to the destroyed lives.

...got your back Preacher....I wish people could sit in our room and have to hear us dispatch an officer to situations directly involving pot...
..I also used to work for a religious organization called "Right Start Right Step"...and dealt with dozens of alcoholics & drug users ...and I would verify what you said about pot being a stepping stone drug. To a person these ******* have said the same thing.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 09:21 AM   #14
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Sigh - more people confusing industrial hemp with marijuana for recreational use - one big reason why industrial hemp hasn't gone mainstream....
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 09:35 AM   #15
Mistah_Q
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 5514

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
Sigh - more people confusing industrial hemp with marijuana for recreational use - one big reason why industrial hemp hasn't gone mainstream....
To be fair I did make an argument for both in the initial post. But I only did it because of the stigma hemp comes with, and that few people know the difference.

If you're growing "industrial hemp" you can't even hide "recreational hemp" in your hemp fields, because the industrial varieties are tall, almost corn-like (obviously without the corn. . ) while the type used for pot is short and bushy

"You are going to let the fear of poverty govern your life and your reward will be that you will eat, but you will not live." - George Bernard Shaw
Mistah_Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 09:46 AM   #16
verks36
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 5088

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistah_Q View Post
Let me preface this by saying that I've never touched marijuana in my life, and unless I have an ultra-painful neurological disorder, I won't want to. But that isn't the point of this. Also I think that "4-20" being the "weed-smoking holiday" is probably one of the silliest things I've ever heard of. But that also isn't the point of this.

Cannabis/Hemp has so many good uses. . I'll leave that up to individuals whether smoking is a good use but it's such a wonderful resource for food (its oil and seeds) and for its fibers. .

They could put a few logging companies out of business using Hemp to make paper and paper products, and it's so much more easily and quickly renewable than trees. . they can also use hemp to make articles of clothing and fuels. . almost anything that can be made from wood pulp, cotton, or petroleum can be made from hemp.

Using hemp for clothing is environmentally friendly. The hemp plant is naturally resistant to pests and weeds, so the farmer doesn't need to dump toxic pesticides and herbicides on the land. Hemp also requires about 1/20th as much water to grow and process as cotton, and the hemp fiber is up to 4 times stronger than cotton. Fabric made from hemp naturally resists bacteria growth and filters harmful UV light. And thanks to new developments in preparing and finishing the fabric, hemp clothing is super soft and comfortable.

The War against Kentucky Hemp:
At one time there was a prosperous Hemp industry, most notably in Kentucky. But then came the war against hemp. . it was basically criminalized and eradicated, and they do sweeps each year to destroy and remaining wild hemp they can find. I'll update this with a link once I have enough posts to be allowed to post links.

Just because you can use one variety of the plant to get roughly the buzz of a few hard drinks, this wonderful plant that could be the answer to many problems, is being eradicated. (Conversely, you're allowed to fill your lungs with tar and nicotine smoke, which is far more addictive than cannabis could ever hope to be. . and you're allowed to drink liquor, which has roughly the same effect but unlike hemp, can actually kill you. . . absurd!)

The marijuana aspect is not the point of this - the variety cultivated for marijuana is short and bushy, while the other varieties which are the ones I'm more interested in having legalized are more tall and stalky, and need to be cut before marijuana would be able to be harvested from the shorter ones. But even if it's true (and I believe that it is) that over time smoking weed could kill off a few brain cells and make you slightly duller. . . so can playing football and banging your head against the wall . . . and voting for Sanjaya. But none of those things are illegal now are they? Besides, if someone wants a buzz after a long hard day, or wants some relief from neurological pain. . . then let them have it. Good grief.

Let me reiterate that the recreational and medical uses of marijuana is not the point of this, but the stigma that hemp comes with, that part of the argument needs to be made as well. Industrial hemp is an extremely efficient, versatile, and useful crop, and it's almost senseless to have it outlawed - the industrial breeds contain so little of the chemical found in marijuana hemp that it's not even worth smoking.

On most political issues I'm a rock-solid conservative but hemp shouldn't even be an issue. It needs to be legalized NOW!
WOW great read... I totally agree with everything

xbox live gamertag= NtL doubledooky
I dedicate the 36 at the end of my name to thee Jerome bettis

"Working hard beats talent that doesn't work hard."- Kevin Durrant

IF YOU ARE NOT A STEELERS FAN CLICK HERE
---------------------------------------------------->>>>http://vpoet.net/flash/youare.swf

--------------DA Offical Steelers Soulja Boy Dance----------------------
http://youtube.com/watch?v=-F-9s3vWOXk
verks36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 10:08 AM   #17
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370

I agree with the industrial hemp argument.

Part of the problem is all the companies that industrial hemp would put out of business.The government doesn't want to see all these companies close down.And they damn sure don't want to see the oil companies close because gasoline is being replaced with industrial hemp fuel.Most of the politicians that are in the federal government make thier money from the petroleum business of refining and selling crude oil.They don't want to see a new fuel come out on the market that is better for the environment,more efficient,and cheaper because they'd all lose thier money.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 10:50 AM   #18
vasteeler
Team President

Member Number: 3341
Thanked 1,004 Times in 405 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post

Thats crazy talk i have smoked pot for a long time and i have never touched another drug
it it way safer than alcohol
vasteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 10:54 AM   #19
Mistah_Q
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 5514

Quote:
Originally Posted by VASTEELER View Post
Thats crazy talk i have smoked pot for a long time and i have never touched another drug
it it way safer than alcohol
For you, yes. It's probably safe to say that it doesn't do the same thing to everybody.

"You are going to let the fear of poverty govern your life and your reward will be that you will eat, but you will not live." - George Bernard Shaw
Mistah_Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 01:06 PM   #20
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
Not confused at all....I would gamble that I am forced into a position to know more about hemp and pot than the average person. I was just agreeing with Preacher that "Pot" IS dangerous...

Her is the information readily available by the American Psychiatry Institute....which is neither pro-law inforcement or pro-drug.

Quote:
Marijuana use has reached new highs in Canada and Europe, but not in the U.S. While the pro-marijuana lobby is strong and growing, it would have us believe that law enforcement doesn't work and that marijuana is harmless. Both are untrue. While law enforcement could be done much better, many studies show that it does work. Although marijuana is officially illegal in Canada and Europe, enforcement is very rare. Also, as marijuana use has doubled in Canada and Europe in the last 10 years in high school students and adults, heroin and other drug use have also increased to record levels exceeding those of the U.S. AIDS is also spreading more rapidly in those countries because of needle-sharing which continues despite the ready availability of clean needles very cheaply at the corner pharmacies.

Marijuana is much more addictive and dangerous than the drug abuser community would like you to believe. Psychiatrists deal with hundreds of patients a year who have become seriously mentally ill thanks to the brain damage caused by marijuana. It is a major cause of depression and schizophrenia in our society as well as a factor in preventing our psychiatric treatments from working effectively. It changes the personality, damages the memory, seriously impairs school performance, and causes auto crashes and death for far too many individuals. Marijuana is by far the most prevalent illicit drug and a major gateway drug to cocaine and heroin abuse. Oddly enough, since marijuana use starts so early, it is also a gateway drug leading to tobacco cigarette smoking for a small percentage but large number of youth.

Marijuana is also a very poor drug for medical treatments although it has some very powerful forces promoting its use. The studies for marijuana and schizophrenia, depression, and intellectual impairments all come to the same conclusion, that its medicinal value is limited.

Current governmental enforcement techniques are inefficient and only modestly effective. They keep illicit drugs from becoming rampant without ever eliminating the problem. Research has found that the average drug dealer gets arrested once every 18 years! With better enforcement techniques, dealers could get arrested much more quickly, and penalties could actually be decreased considerably at a great cost savings to the public. More importantly, illicit drugs could almost certainly be eliminated at a tremendous cost savings. We would still be stuck with alcohol and tobacco, but even tobacco use is decreasing.

Ther is a growing support of school and work drug testing programs. While hair-cuttings at the cost of $60 each are probably the best deterrent since they cover a couple month period of time, a simple marijuana urine test is much faster and can be purchased from my office for $3 each. Since marijuana is by far the most common illicit drug and since it stays in the body and urine for one to several weeks, urines tests are fairly good detection methods. Unfortunately, alcohol is out of the system in 12 hours, so tests are of more limited value.
This is not anti-hemp...just a rebuttal for those who have made pro-pot comments.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote