Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 05-18-2007, 08:29 AM   #1
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363
Default Watching film gave Gay a head start

Thursday, May 17, 2007
By Teresa Varley
Steelers.com

When you are a rookie, you have to use every little thing to your advantage to get a leg up on the competition. Fifth-round pick William Gay, a cornerback from Louisville, had that jump before he even reported for the team's first mini-camp.

While at Louisville Gay saw plenty of footage of the Steelers defense as they tried to mimic some of the coverage packages that defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau is known for.

"We tried to disguise our coverages and we always looked at Pittsburgh tapes," said Gay. "They have the best ways to disguise their coverages. You get out there, and you don't know where they're coming from. It's a very aggressive defense."

His early knowledge of the Steelers defense is something that his coaches definitely feel will be an advantage for him and were impressed when they talked to him about his role in that style of defense.

"They ran a couple of plays that we run, and I asked him what he did on a couple of those plays," said defensive backs coach Ray Horton. "He was able to explain exactly what he did and really what the other 10 men on the field did. That really just impressed me because not only can the kid play, but now I feel that he'll be able to come play a multitude of roles for us right away.

"I feel comfortable putting him on the inside, on the outside, and then possibly down the road, if the kid's tough enough?which I think he is?he can play a little bit of safety for us down the line."

Gay also has the same mentality and aggressive approach that the defensive is traditionally known for.

"I want to attack the ball," said Gay. "I have that mindset. That's what the Pittsburgh Steelers defense is all about, so I'm ready to get in there and get involved when I can."

One reason why Gay lasted until the fifth round was his speed. While he isn't slow, he isn't a guy with blazing speed. But he makes up for it with a lot more.

"I'm not a 4.3 guy, but on the field, I have that hunger," said Gay. "There's a difference between football speed and track speed. I feel like I can get on the field and run with anybody."

Horton compared Gay to cornerback Deshea Townsend, especially from the mental standpoint, something that is a big compliment as Horton considers Townsend one of the most mentally sound players on defense.

"He's instinctual, aggressive and has very good hands," said Horton. "I think that he'll come in right away and compete for a third cornerback spot, a fourth cornerback spot and special teams. I think that this is a young Deshea that can come in and probably apply himself right away with his mental capacity to learn.

"I was very impressed with this young man as far as explaining his position and what the defensive linemen do on particular plays. So, I'm very excited about this young man."
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 12:27 PM   #2
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,637 Times in 2,878 Posts
Default Re: Watching film gave Gay a head start

the coaches really seem impressed with his football smart which probably vaulted him above so many others that were still on the board. i guess it was his lack of speed that had him ranked 35th or something. i think alot of us were left scratching our heads with the anthony smith last year, but he sure doesnt look slow on the field.

oh, and LLT, please never, ever, ever,EVER start a thread again with the words Start, Watching, Gay, Film, Gave, Head in the title.
Old 05-18-2007, 12:47 PM   #3
polamalufan43
Team President

Location: Where the streets are paved in black and gold stones
Member Number: 3344

I'm happy to see that we have a good chance with him. The question is who will he be compeating with the most for a starting job?

~Polamalufan43
Old 05-18-2007, 03:47 PM   #4
OneForTheToe
Living Legend

Member Number: 2408

Great candidate for the practce squad. And being such is not intended as a shot. A guy like this could be a "diamond in the ruff." There was a reason the owners wanted to have practice squads, and players like this are the reason.
OneForTheToe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 04:08 PM   #5
Counselor
Starter

Member Number: 5075

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneForTheToe View Post
Great candidate for the practce squad. And being such is not intended as a shot. A guy like this could be a "diamond in the ruff." There was a reason the owners wanted to have practice squads, and players like this are the reason.
He's a fifth round pick. I sure hope he makes the team, not just the practice squad. Townsend, Taylor, McFadden, then who? I think he has a really good chance of being one of the 53.
Counselor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 04:17 PM   #6
tony hipchest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Counselor View Post
He's a fifth round pick. I sure hope he makes the team, not just the practice squad. Townsend, Taylor, McFadden, then who? I think he has a really good chance of being one of the 53.
probably ricardo colclough once they un nail him from the cross fans have placed him on. if the team is still willing to give haynes and ben another shot, theyre probably willing to let ricardo play out his contract.

with iwouma as a special teams ace, i doubt he takes his spot. it has been hinted at that gay can play saftey, and seems to have the smarts to line up the defense like chris hope used to. that would make me nervous if i was mike logan.
Old 05-19-2007, 04:06 AM   #7
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
probably ricardo colclough once they un nail him from the cross fans have placed him on. if the team is still willing to give haynes and ben another shot, theyre probably willing to let ricardo play out his contract.

with iwouma as a special teams ace, i doubt he takes his spot. it has been hinted at that gay can play saftey, and seems to have the smarts to line up the defense like chris hope used to. that would make me nervous if i was mike logan.
...or use him like they do Carter...and play Safety in a second line position..jam the reciever and let him slide off and cover the flat.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 04:37 AM   #8
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,157 Times in 1,339 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

I think this guy has potential.
Galax Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 10:56 PM   #9
tony hipchest

Default Re: Nice article on Gay...

you must not have noticed the Watching Film Gave Gay Head thread.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=16861
Old 05-19-2007, 11:34 PM   #10
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Hey Tony...

I guess your right, there is another thread here.

I hope this guy comes alive for us.

And as for the title, well... What else do you expect from LLT?
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote