Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 05-18-2007, 05:21 PM   #11
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,113 Times in 2,391 Posts
Default Re: Open Letter to Alan Faneca

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
Millions? Did you say MILLIONS, Dan? Must be nice to play 20 odd games a year and get paid in one year what most of us can't even dream of ringing up in a lifetime, yet still whine and blubber about it. I know we'd all make huge hits with our employers if we went public with our gripes instead of doing what most adult professionals do - shut their yaps and attempt to work it out with the employer privately. I'm sorry - I have absolutely no sympathy for Faneca in this situation. Zip, zilch, nada.
HTG - you may not have sympathy, but here are the numbers on the Browns signing Steinbach, whom I regard as someone to whom Faneca is comparing himself:

Browns signed Steinbach to a 7-year deal worth $49.5 million and with $17 million in guarantees. Steinbach's agent, Jack Bechta, was believed to be seeking a deal close to the one signed by Minnesota guard Steve Hutchinson last season, and Steinbach's pact is actually a slight cut above that one, which was a 7-year pact for $49 million and with $16 million in guarantees.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slu...yhoo&type=lgns

My cursory arithmetic skills work that out to be millions less than what Faneca currently is making and what the Steelers allegedly are offering.

I agree it is like listening to investment bankers whine about being underpaid compared to hedge fund operators, or, to use an analogy in a field with which you are particularly familiar, like hearing a Reed Smith partner bi***ing about his partnership draw compared to the draw of a Skadden Arps partner or a plaintiffs' products liability attorney. They all make obscene amounts of $$$, but the Reed Smith attorney is comparatively underpaid.

When it comes to income, individuals compare themselves to their peers and attempt to maximize their self-interest by getting the market rate for their services. We all would like to make what Faneca is making, but my bet is posters on this board only care about Faneca insofar as his situation impacts the Steelers - I know that is my position.

Any logical conclusion that Faneca is acting "unreasonably" presumably requires a frame of reference for what it feels like to be making millions but at the same time have an opportunity to make significantly more. I do not sympathize with Faneca but do not believe we have any grounds beyond our interest in the Steelers as a team in saying his conduct is not appropriate when his own self-interest is the measuring stick.

What Faneca could get away with if he was a clerk negotiating a raise at Giant Eagle and what Faneca can get away with as a professional athlete seeking a new contract are completely different situations - such are the realities of the free market. Some of the posts against Faneca sound depressingly like liberals who constantly complain about "the rich" making too much money.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 05:22 PM   #12
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerFanInCA View Post
Hopefully when it comes times to playing he shuts the hell up and gives us at least one more good year of play.
I'm with you on that, SteelerFanInCA, but unfortunately, I think he's gonna be a problem all year. A piss poor attitude tends to be contagious.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 05:29 PM   #13
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
Any logical conclusion that Faneca is acting "unreasonably" presumably requires a frame of reference for what it feels like to be making millions but at the same time have an opportunity to make significantly more. I do not sympathize with Faneca but do not believe we have any grounds beyond our interest in the Steelers as a team in saying his conduct is not appropriate when his own self-interest is the measuring stick.
Yes, but when other athletes, Faneca's peers, around the league are saying his conduct last Friday could presumably hurt his worth down the road, does this not equate to the conduct being unreasonable?
Old 05-18-2007, 05:29 PM   #14
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,099 Posts

Dear Alan,

Will you please sign this 8x10 glossy photo of you so i can have it framed and hang it in my office?

Thanks!

(i still think faneca is top 2 in the game and will continue to be, but this was simply too good to pass up)
Old 05-18-2007, 05:45 PM   #15
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,113 Times in 2,391 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
Yes, but when other athletes, Faneca's peers, around the league are saying his conduct last Friday could presumably hurt his worth down the road, does this not equate to the conduct being unreasonable?
I read the Trib-Review article today where a number of agents (who may be trying to recruit the same clients Faneca's agent is seeking to represent) for other Steelers (who may not have Faneca's leverage) questioned Faneca's conduct, but which players have called him out? I did not hear the agents for Troy or Ben saying Faneca should make nice.

Since I think he is trying to force a trade, Exhibit A for why Faneca's conduct makes sense to me is how the Joey Porter situation played out. Porter raised hell and got his FA deal sooner rather than later.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 05:52 PM   #16
tony hipchest

Quote:
I read the Trib-Review article today where a number of agents (who may be trying to recruit the same clients Faneca's agent is seeking to represent) for other Steelers (who may not have Faneca's leverage) questioned Faneca's conduct, but which players have called him out? I did not hear the agents for Troy or Ben saying Faneca should make nice.

Since I think he is trying to force a trade, Exhibit A for why Faneca's conduct makes sense to me is how the Joey Porter situation played out. Porter raised hell and got his FA deal sooner rather than later.
unfortunately the faneca situation is gonna become a common business practice across the nfl as a whole. and fanecas agent is right. the steelers know he will show up and play and not do what d. branch did last year.

http://nfl.com/news/story/10186057

Quote:
(May 17, 2007) -- Darwin Walker gets traded to Buffalo from the Eagles and he's not showing up to the team's facility until he gets a new deal.

Greg Ellis of the Cowboys says he's a good guy, but needs to talk about his contract.

Alex Brown of the Bears wants to see what the market is for him, even though he's under contract.

Alan Faneca says this is his last season in Pittsburgh because the Steelers don't want to pay him the "new' market value for guards, even though Faneca might be the best guard in football.

General managers knew the big deals signed this past winter were going to be problematic this spring, and they have caused problems. Well, here comes the next complicating factor ... draft-pick contracts. There are only a few rookie deals in the books, but they might reflect the pressures that make veterans even more frustrated.

Last year, rookie guaranteed money was a problem for many vets who couldn't understand why an unproven player gets so much money. Below is the average guaranteed money by round last year.

And if the early deals so far suggest there is a chance for an 8 percent increase in 2007, then there will be more contract issues this spring. Keep in mind, the money includes option bonuses that are exercised.

Round 2006 guaranteed dollars 2007 projected guarantee
1 $10.38 million $11.30 million
2 $1.68 million $1.80 million
3 $643,000 $685,000
4 $399,000 $420,000
5 $151,000 $160,000
6 $83,000 $90,000
7 $41,000 $44,000

It's easy to see why solid veterans, who want their piece of the pie and want out of the contracts, aren't able to come to grips with the top 32 rookies averaging $11 million while they have years left on their deals that will not come close those rookie amounts.
keeping in mind hines ward got the richest signing bonus in steelers history 2 years ago- $8 million, its very easy to see why these proven veteran players are pissed.
Old 05-18-2007, 05:53 PM   #17
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:

Actually that makes sense. I remember reading a thread earlier today where someone else posted an article (the same one I believe) - I may have confused "other players" with "other players' agents" - my mistake. And you're right, as far as Porter is concerned, the "squeaky wheel" did indeed get the grease in that case, and maybe pitching a bitch was Faneca's strategy as well. I misconstrued your previous post as being apologetic towards Faneca's behavior, but I've read enough of your posts here and I should have known better than that. Sorry.
Old 05-18-2007, 06:01 PM   #18
tony hipchest

its rediculous to think that in todays market, ryan leaf (as a rookie would hold out until he got his $30 million guaranteed signing bonus, whereas proven veterans have to be on a sucky team with tons of cap room to even get market value. granted the market for guards is currently in a bubble( who knows if it will pop), but rookie salaries are simply inflated.

there either needs to be a rookie cap or rookie contracts need to all be incentive laden.
Old 05-18-2007, 06:17 PM   #19
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
HTG - you may not have sympathy, but here are the numbers on the Browns signing Steinbach, whom I regard as someone to whom Faneca is comparing himself:

Browns signed Steinbach to a 7-year deal worth $49.5 million and with $17 million in guarantees. Steinbach's agent, Jack Bechta, was believed to be seeking a deal close to the one signed by Minnesota guard Steve Hutchinson last season, and Steinbach's pact is actually a slight cut above that one, which was a 7-year pact for $49 million and with $16 million in guarantees.

My cursory arithmetic skills work that out to be millions less than what Faneca currently is making and what the Steelers allegedly are offering.

I agree it is like listening to investment bankers whine about being underpaid compared to hedge fund operators, or, to use an analogy in a field with which you are particularly familiar, like hearing a Reed Smith partner bi***ing about his partnership draw compared to the draw of a Skadden Arps partner or a plaintiffs' products liability attorney. They all make obscene amounts of $$$, but the Reed Smith attorney is comparatively underpaid.

When it comes to income, individuals compare themselves to their peers and attempt to maximize their self-interest by getting the market rate for their services. We all would like to make what Faneca is making, but my bet is posters on this board only care about Faneca insofar as his situation impacts the Steelers - I know that is my position.

What Faneca could get away with if he was a clerk negotiating a raise at Giant Eagle and what Faneca can get away with as a professional athlete seeking a new contract are completely different situations - such are the realities of the free market. Some of the posts against Faneca sound depressingly like liberals who constantly complain about "the rich" making too much money.
You make some excellent points here, Dan, and I agree with you for the most part. I, too, am concerned about how the Faneca fiasco will impact the Steelers but I don't stop at the financial ramifications. This team does NOT need any distractions going into this season with a new regime in place - God knows we had enough of that last year and we all know where that season went. I only hope that Faneca can stop with the public blubbering, get his hiney into camp when the time comes, work hard, play hard and do his bitc hing and moaning in private, keeping it out of the locker room and out of the press.

P.S. I'm not a liberal, thank God - LOL!

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 07:06 PM   #20
SteelCzar76
Banned

Member Number: 2498

Quote:

Ultimately buisness is always,... just that. (For the sake of 'keeping things simple') And part of which,....market value is always taken into consideration.

But what i think that many mean to say in regards to Alan making his grievances 'public' are as such,.... "As one whom is considered one of the finest in your chosen profession whatever that may be. From shoe salesman to Ceo. Conduct yourself in such a manner when before the eyes and ears of not only those whom could consider themselves 'peers',...but before those of all others."

For if your are that which you claim to be,...will it not be evident even to those whom would attempt to cast doubt upon this for any reason ?

Bottom line,...every G.M, Owner and player for that matter in this league realizes that Alan is one of the finest Guards of his era,......with more than a 'few good years' left in the 'tank'. Henceforth,.....his "lobbying" is absoloutely unneccessary. As though it will not compremise his next contract (be it here or elswhere) due to the 'facts'. It (the aforementioned "lobbying"),..... does his Legacy an injustice.
SteelCzar76 is offline   Reply With Quote