Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 05-20-2007, 01:36 PM   #11
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363
Default Re: Cook: Steelers have to sign Polamalu to be fair to Tomlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
Gee, I wonder why the Raiders finished 2-14 last season?
yeah....Gallery is definately a "ggsk" Tackle
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 01:39 PM   #12
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black and Gold Forever 32 View Post
Thats all nice and dandy that Troy has a good agent. But I think its going to take alot of coin to resign Troy. I used to buy into that Troy isn't concerned about how much money he makes or material things but he is still a Pro athlete who probably will want his fair market value.lol

Keeping fingers crossed, knocking on wood and praying to the Virgin Mary that Troy is resigned.lol
Demoff will get Troy a "fair" contract....but he is open to all the intangibles around contract negotiations....
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 01:52 PM   #13
polamalufan43
Team President

Location: Where the streets are paved in black and gold stones
Member Number: 3344

Well, it's good Troy has an excellent agent. I'm thinking that's another reason why we might sign Troy sooner than Faneca(if at all, but Venus isn't in line with Saturn's 3rd ring...so...yeah...)

~Polamalufan43
Old 05-20-2007, 07:07 PM   #14
nwksteeler
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 2304

Poamalu is a must sign, there is no way Tomlin can win if the Steelers refuse to resign at least some of their vets.
nwksteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 08:26 PM   #15
rbryan
Team President

Member Number: 5196

If Troy isn't signed, I'll be the first one to agree with the people here who say the Rooneys are unreasonable (I still won't call them cheap) He's a player worth mortgaging the future for, unlike Faneca, who is on the wrong side of 30 with a piss poor attitude.

I say give Troy an 6-8 year deal and push the signing bonus into the future. You're going to have to take a chance sometime if you want to keep players of his caliber.
rbryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 10:47 PM   #16
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
ultimately it will be easier to teach a guard to do what faneca does than to teach a safety to do what troy does. same goes with someone to replace porter. the steelers did a good job to ensure polamalu will be resigned and not put a strain on our future.
You can teach just about anyone how to block.

What Troy has is instinct,and you can't teach that.

Polamalu seems like a reasonable player.I think he'll take less to stay with a team that will compete for championships and stay in a city that he loves (and loves him) rather than chase the huge dollars and hate where he lives,the fans,and lose all the time.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 10:56 PM   #17
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,499 Times in 3,736 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoethlisBURGHer View Post
You can teach just about anyone how to block.

What Troy has is instinct,and you can't teach that.

Polamalu seems like a reasonable player.I think he'll take less to stay with a team that will compete for championships and stay in a city that he loves (and loves him) rather than chase the huge dollars and hate where he lives,the fans,and lose all the time.
He grew up on the West Coast - I agree he would not go to the Raiders, but he arguably could compete for championships in San Diego, Seattle or San Francisco. T.H. has thought for some time the 49ers are going to make a serious run at Troy.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 11:21 PM   #18
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,950 Times in 4,535 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
He grew up on the West Coast - I agree he would not go to the Raiders, but he arguably could compete for championships in San Diego, Seattle or San Francisco. T.H. has thought for some time the 49ers are going to make a serious run at Troy.
the 9ers were somewhere about $40 mil under the cap coming into this offseason. as much as theyve spent, im thinking theyve saved a good ammount for next season (with an eye on troy). even if not, the cap is said to raid an additional $7 mil next year so they will be sitting pretty. like it or not, the patriots will probably be able to bid for his services if they want.

sf sees the troy and ronnie lott usc connection and would love to advertise bringing back the "next lott" to their fans.

and mike nolan would have the "ed reed" to plug into his defense. add that with polamalus love for the west coast and it seems like a move the 49ers have to seriously consider.

however i cant discount the family atmosphere and tradition of winning the rooneys have offered troy. and i take him at his word when he says how much he loves it there. the fact that he has made it his year round home says alot to me but its just as easy to move a family.

thank goodness for the franchise tag. i doubt we have to use it but that is the steelers ace in the hole and im sure its been made clear to troys agent, were not letting him walk. i know the rooneys dont like not having the upper hand in negotiations but in this case theyre best off not screwing around and paying troy top 1 or 2 money.
Old 05-21-2007, 04:57 AM   #19
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,894 Times in 1,632 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

I agree tony I think we need to go ahead and give him a 1 or 2 money.
Galax Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 07:47 AM   #20
abgroove
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 5150

We need to give Troy whatever it takes to sign him.

I wish players wouldn't look at other players contracts and say things like "I'd only be the 10th highest paid guard in the league." That's not what's important. What's important is winning championships and being able to take care of your family very well. I read that we offered Alan $19 million guaranteed over 3 years. (These days all NFL contracts are essentially 3 years.) Alan wanted $24 million over 3 years. Will $800,000 (after taxes) stop him from being able to send his grandchildren to the best schools in the best neighborhoods? I don't think so. I know you have to get what you can while you can. I'm not upset with Alan in the least. If the money is most important to you, go for it. I know the Lions and the Raiders will have plenty of cap room to give him the money he wants. I don't think he'll have much fun losing for the rest of his career, but maybe the money will make him feel better about getting pounded every day for the rest of his time playing.
abgroove is offline   Reply With Quote