Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 05-21-2007, 05:16 PM   #11
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478
Default Re: C. Portis re: Vick/dogfighting -- "If It's Behind Closed Doors, It's OK"

I just looked at the link on the http://www.wavy.com/ homesite and watched the videolink of the Samuels/Portis interview.

I can't see anything resembling the comments attributed to Portis - maybw they have been cut from the footage already?
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 06:37 PM   #12
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Default Re: C. Portis re: Vick/dogfighting -- "If It's Behind Closed Doors, It's OK"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past View Post
I can't see anything resembling the comments attributed to Portis - maybw they have been cut from the footage already?
I would imagine that portion has been cut at the behest of the NFL. A star player saying felony crimes being OK as long as they're committed "behind closed doors" kinda makes the league itself look bad.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 08:38 PM   #13
Jeremy
Banned

Member Number: 2579

CBS, GE, and Disney (not including Fox because they probably love this ish) should all get together and send a strong message to the NFL. These companies are paying massive amounts of money to broadcast the NFL and they should have a say in what they put on TV. That means players because in the end the players are the product. If just one network refuses to show a game because a certain player is on the field, the NFL and NFLPA would be nitch slapped in a real hurry.
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 12:49 AM   #14
I-Want-Troy's-Hair
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 2698

looks like the Feds are stepping in.

http://www.wvec.com/news/local/stori....8f33ea35.html

Sheriff: Charges expected in weeks in dog fighting investigation

Reported by: Patrick Terpstra

Surry County Sheriff Harold Brown confirms to 13News that Michael Vick?s name came up in the behind-closed-doors discussion on suspected dog fighting at Vick's now former home in Surry County.

Brown also confirmed that, after reviewing the evidence gathered so far, Vick has not been cleared but that also Vick has not been charged.

Meantime, Brown announced that federal authorities are now involved the investigation and that he expects charges to be filed in a matter of weeks, but he would not say against whom.

An investigator with the U.S. Department of Agriculture, who also is representing the U.S. Office of Inspector General, met for two hours with local authorities and Commonwealth's Attorney Gerald Poindexter.

Watch the report

It was first time Poindexter had met with investigators to review evidence in the case. He'll decide whether to level charges against Vick and up to 10 other people potentially involved in what investigators describe a major dogfighting operation.

Poindexter would not say what he learned from the meeting.

?I?ve told you before that I don?t believe in trying cases in the press and I find that despicable, okay? And that?s enough,? Poindexter said

Last week, investigators told 13 News they have evidence that "absolutely" links Vick to dogfighting.
Old 05-22-2007, 06:31 AM   #15
WV-SteelerFan
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 2870

Quote:
Originally Posted by Counselor View Post
I wish I had seen the O-lineman's face! The ignorance is truly amazing.

Old 05-22-2007, 07:53 AM   #16
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

This is the same crackhead who dresses up every Sunday in order to get attention off the field because he can't get any on the field. I'm not surprised.

For the record, Mike & Mike are stating that the lineman is just as sick as Portis for laughing during Portis's rant.
Old 05-22-2007, 07:55 AM   #17
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,772 Times in 2,668 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past View Post
There was a Redskin o-lineman (I think) being interviewed with Portis and apparently his face was a picture when Portis came out with this crap - a picture that read 'WTF!'.

These opinions are out there, there are many different types of people that make up the NFL playing staff - Portis just happens to be one of the more ignorant brand.

Apparently the OL was Chris Samuels and, if these comments are correct, the look of astonishment on his face was because Samuels also cannot believe anyone is hating on Vick for dog fighting.

Portis, a native of Laurel, Mississippi, added: "I know a lot of back roads that got a dog fight if you want to go see it. But they're not bothering those people because those people are not big names. I'm sure there's some police got some dogs that are fighting them, some judges got dogs and everything else."

"Politicians," added Samuels, who found it hard to keep from giggling while Portis was talking.

"Presidents," added Portis with a laugh.

Dog fighting is a felony in Virginia, but Portis said that if Vick is charged and convicted, "Then I think he got cheated. ... You're putting him behind bars for no reason -- over a dog fight."

"Haven't you seen Animal Planet?" Samuels added with a giggle.

But not to worry. After what I assume was a candid exchange of views between the league office, Redskins management and the agent for Portis, we get the obligatory "clarification" and request that ignorant comments not be taken "out of context:"

Hours after making light of the possible crime in the television interview, Portis issued a statement late Monday through the Redskins.

"In the recent interview I gave concerning dog fighting, I want to make it clear I do not take part in dog fighting or condone dog fighting in any manner," the statement said.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200....ap/index.html
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 08:17 AM   #18
Jeremy
Banned

Member Number: 2579

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
Apparently the OL was Chris Samuels and, if these comments are correct, the look of astonishment on his face was because Samuels also cannot believe anyone is hating on Vick for dog fighting.

Portis, a native of Laurel, Mississippi, added: "I know a lot of back roads that got a dog fight if you want to go see it. But they're not bothering those people because those people are not big names. I'm sure there's some police got some dogs that are fighting them, some judges got dogs and everything else."

"Politicians," added Samuels, who found it hard to keep from giggling while Portis was talking.

Dog fighting is a felony in Virginia, but Portis said that if Vick is charged and convicted, "Then I think he got cheated. ... You're putting him behind bars for no reason -- over a dog fight."

But not to worry. After what I assume was a candid exchange of views between the league office, Redskins management and the agent for Portis, we get the obligatory "clarification" and request that ignorant comments not be taken "out of context:"

Hours after making light of the possible crime in the television interview, Portis issued a statement late Monday through the Redskins.

"In the recent interview I gave concerning dog fighting, I want to make it clear I do not take part in dog fighting or condone dog fighting in any manner," the statement said.

I could write something here, but it would probably get me bannned.
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 09:10 AM   #19
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:

Let the whitewash begin!
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 11:10 AM   #20
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

Quote:

Thanks for that, Dan.

The interview footage on ESPN stopped right before that bit of dialogue began.

Amazing they are told its a felony, yet they still think its 'ok'.
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote