Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Bucs

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 28, 1:00 PM
FOX

Old 05-22-2007, 06:20 PM   #21
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,759 Times in 3,680 Posts
Default Re: C. Portis re: Vick/dogfighting -- "If It's Behind Closed Doors, It's OK"

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
Let the whitewash begin!
you know the backtrack is in full effect when hes making a special appearance on nfl networks "total access"

lol! its no big deal because "hunting is legal".
Old 05-22-2007, 07:05 PM   #22
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541
Default Re: C. Portis re: Vick/dogfighting -- "If It's Behind Closed Doors, It's OK"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
Clinton Portis is a former Miami Hurricane. It really shouldn't surprise any of you that he's this ignorant of the laws and norms of society.
typical hurricane.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 08:49 PM   #23
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 7,908 Times in 3,496 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
Let the whitewash begin!
Yep - the NFL has developed a script for when a player goes off message

Redskins apologize for Portis' Vick comments

"The Washington Redskins, as an organization, obviously would never condone anything related to animal cruelty," the team's statement said. "The team takes the recent comments of Clinton Portis very seriously and apologizes to everyone that was offended."

And, like the Ginsu knife commercial, there's more!

On Tuesday, Samuels apologized for his behavior.

"We were wrong for joking about the situation," Samuels said. "It's very serious. We don't agree with dog fighting."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2879556

Atlanta Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 12:55 PM   #24
qbvision.com
Water Boy

Member Number: 5560

Hey Portis, thats like saying "who cares if OJ killed her..why dont people mind their own business...if he wants to kill let him"..HAHA..just to show what dummies we really have in the NFL..put your WIG back on and play dumb again please....i seen this on espn and was like are you serious? what a jackass. I would love to let my dog (english bulldog)loose on Vick...haha

GO STEELERS!!
qbvision.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 07:32 PM   #25
TX Steel
Water Boy

Member Number: 5558

How simple logic and compassion can be absent in some people amazes me.
TX Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 03:26 PM   #26
ChronoCross
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 2201

Falcons | Source claims Vick is a heavyweight in dog fighting
Sun, 27 May 2007 10:59:53 -0700

Kelly Naqi, writing for ESPN.com, reports a confidential source says he's been involved in dog fighting for over 30 years and has trained and fought around 2,000 pit bulls. He was poised to tell "Outside the Lines" about the time in 2000 when his dog squared off against a dog owned by someone he referred as one of the "heavyweights" of the dog fighting world. "He's a pit bull fighter," the source said of Atlanta Falcons QB Michael Vick. "He's one of the ones that they call 'the big boys:' that's who bets a large dollar. And they have the money to bet large money. As I'm talking about large money -- $30,000 to $40,000 -- even higher. He's one of the heavyweights." The source has helped law enforcement by supplying information on dog fights that has led to dozens of felony arrests. The source said Vick is known in the dog fighting community as "the man that comes with all the money" and his reputation is "[that] he brings a good dog and he's going to bet and he's going bring a nice sum of cash."
ChronoCross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 03:57 PM   #27
alittlejazzbird
Team Captain

Member Number: 1403

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoCross View Post
Falcons | Source claims Vick is a heavyweight in dog fighting
Sun, 27 May 2007 10:59:53 -0700
The entire story is well worth reading at ESPN:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2884063

This confidential informant effectively illustrates the whole reason that this truly despicable activity flourishes:

Quote:
The source said he consented to our interview to change people's perceptions about dog fighting, because they have "the wrong idea" about it and should see "just one" match for themselves before judging it. "They'll let this other thing go -- what is it called? UFC [Ultimate Fighting Championship]?" he asked. "That is every bit as bad -- you know, that's terrible. But then you have thousands of people that cheer, rah, rah, and they really love that. You see guys get their heads busted, you know, and they get their arms messed up, their legs twisted almost off. But then they fuss over this here, is wrong."

When asked what he thinks people's reactions will be when they learn of his account of Vick's involvement in dog fighting, the source was nonplussed.

"They shouldn't be really upset, OK?" he said. "Because it's only just an animal. It's just a dog that is raised up. He's put out there, you know, and he's chained up, OK. And the time he gets a certain age, this dog is going to want to fight. It is bred in him, OK? He knows what he is and he's going to fight. Just take him off the leash, let him go."
There are so many things wrong with that -- for one thing, the fact that human beings make the choice to fight, and the dogs are forced into it -- there isn't enough time or space for me to comment fully. But it's quite illuminating, because you can see the kind of culture, maybe minus guns but no less thuggish, that perpetuates it. I found most interesting the very end of the article, when the source told what he's most concerned about:

Quote:
"Everybody in the dog world is worried about Michael Vick talking," the source said, shortly before leaving our interview room and heading back to work. "Michael Vick is making large money, he's making millions, OK? And if he has to tell on some people [to avoid prison time], I think he would tell … I don't put nothing past him."
Here's hoping they all turn on each other, and blow the lid off this so-called "sport."
alittlejazzbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 04:15 PM   #28
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 7,908 Times in 3,496 Posts

As I was watching TV while on the treadmill, John Clayton was explaining on ESPN how he does not believe these latest allegations are serious enough to get Vick suspended because the informant cannot deliver indisputable evidence on Vick's role.

Clayton assumes this is a criminal trial requiring proof beyond a reasonable doubt of Vick's role. With regard to another recent blowup, Don Imus appeared to be surviving until his sponsors were finding out there was a downside to being associated with the I-Man. The way Vick can really get hurt in this is if animal rights groups or for that matter anyone who owns a dog makes it clear that they will not buy products from anyone who continues to have an endorsement deal with Vick.

The Falcons have a major problem here, not only in terms of Vick's conduct but because the debate is (as is often the case in Atlanta) breaking down on racial lines in the ATL.
Atlanta Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 05:08 PM   #29
LambertIsGod58
Team President

Member Number: 410

I can honestly say that it doesn't surprise me that Vick would be involved in something like this. It's in his blood....Look at brother Marques. Not to mention Vick should be brought up on charges of impersonating an NFL Quarterback. Second, Portis is a piece of **it. End of story.

"Life is a journey and you never arrive" Chuck Noll 1969-91
LambertIsGod58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 03:48 PM   #30
Elvis
Banned

Member Number: 2390

As much as I would like to say that I cant believe it, but I can. This is what the whole world is coming too. This ole' world is gettin worst ladies/gentlemen. Dont take anything for granted because anything can happen.
Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote