Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 09-07-2005, 09:23 PM   #41
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

Member Number: 70
Default Re: Mays Out, Morgan In......

I honestly cant see a guy who we just signed a couple days ago, being the #3 WR for us this week. He needs time to learn the offense.. Cedric will be the #3 guy for the next few weeks atleast and then I would imagine if he hasnt improved enough, Morgan will take over.

Especially when you read this..

http://www.phillyburbs.com/pb-dyn/ne...05-538119.html

On the fly: Morgan finds Steelers playbook isn't a fast study

By ALAN ROBINSON
The Associated Press

PITTSBURGH - Quincy Morgan, a man accustomed to being in a hurry, was in more of a rush than usual Wednesday.

Morgan had new Pittsburgh Steelers coaches and new teammates to meet, and a practice to attend, and a game to get ready for in four days - and not the one he was expecting to play a few days ago.

And then there was the matter of the Steelers' brick-thick playbook, which is not conducive to speed reading. Not even for a wide receiver known for his ability to get downfield in a hurry, the chief reason the Steelers picked him up after he was waived by the Dallas Cowboys last weekend.

"I've got to get in this playbook - it's one of the hardest offenses I've ever seen," Morgan said Wednesday. "There's a lot of memorization, a lot of hot breaks you've got to learn. I could sit here and tell you about it all day. In Dallas, it was so easy."

What he's found difficult is staying with the same team. The Steelers are Morgan's third team in five seasons, an uncommon number for a player who was a No. 33 overall pick, by Cleveland in the 2001 draft, and has produced. He had 56 catches for a 17.2 yards per catch average and seven touchdowns in 2002, and has 15 touchdown catches in his career.

But after a brief stint as Cleveland's top receiver, when Steelers receivers coach Bruce Arians was the Browns' offensive coordinator, he was dealt to Dallas last year for former Pitt receiver Antonio Bryant. Beaten out during training camp by former seventh-round draft pick Patrick Crayton to be Dallas' No. 3 receiver, Morgan was waived after the Cowboys signed former Atlanta receiver Peerless Price.

"I was the man in Cleveland, but in Dallas I was a nobody," he said.

Morgan also was to make $750,000 in Dallas, too much for the Cowboys to pay a No. 4 receiver who hasn't played on special teams except for returning kicks. Several teams wanted him once Dallas cut him, including Tennessee, but the Steelers were his first choice.
Adblock

"I always admired this team from afar, and I'm glad to be here," he said. "I never imagined I'd be a Pittsburgh Steeler."

Why the attraction, especially for a former Browns player?

"It's Pittsburgh, man. These guys win games, and I know what type of team this is," he said. "This is a tough team, this is a team that a lot of the teams in the league are scared of. So why not be a Steeler?"

Morgan will be used Sunday mostly in a four-receivers set along with Hines Ward, Antwaan Randle El and Cedrick Wilson. At 6-1, he's not as tall as the 6-5 Plaxico Burress, the former Steelers starter now with the Giants, but he gives Ben Roethlisberger a fast target who can catch the deep ball.

Morgan signed Tuesday, hours after coach Bill Cowher said the lack of rhythm in the passing game, during a preseason in which the starters didn't score a touchdown, was his chief worry.

"He's a big pickup in my opinion," wide receiver Hines Ward said. "He's going to help us out tremendously."

When he figures out that playbook, of course.

"Some of the things they did with Plax are some of things I should be able to do in this offense," Morgan said. "I've just got to get up on this as fast as I can."

Arians said it was easy to recommend signing Morgan.

"He's got speed, can catch the deep ball, is aggressive - he can stretch the field," Arians said. "I like Quincy a lot."
BlitzburghRockCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 10:01 PM   #42
Black-n-Gold
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 602

Not sure how to feel about his comments, hopefully he doesn't become a problem or another big-headed plaxico.
Old 09-07-2005, 10:14 PM   #43
Koopa
Living Legend

Member Number: 508

mayne i hope he can beat out ARE and wilson, ARE to me is gonna always be a third option type of wr, and wilson well i don't know about him, i hope morgan can push everyone and help ben build some confidence in his wr corps. and i still hope they use heath miller in the passing game a lot, it'll be a waste if they don't.
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 10:28 PM   #44
Black-n-Gold
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 602

I've never thought ARE was #2 quality but that's just me. He's alright but he should be #3 or #4 in my opinion. Wilson, Morgan, and Ward should be a reliable set of WRs for a while.
Old 09-07-2005, 10:44 PM   #45
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

I like this statement!!

Quote:
"It's Pittsburgh, man. These guys win games, and I know what type of team this is," he said. "This is a tough team, this is a team that a lot of the teams in the league are scared of. So why not be a Steeler?"
Remember this too..There's a reason he's been w/ so many teams in recent years. He's not the end all answer to completing our WR group. But he is a capable guy who can help us out, and who knows he may surprise us and stick around for several years and be very productive. At the least he's a BIG target, and thats good !

El has earned the right to be at the #2 WR spot atleast to start out the season. He said behind plax and now has a chance to show his stuff on every play so its up to him to make it happen.
Old 09-07-2005, 10:45 PM   #46
TasmanianTroy271
Team Captain

Member Number: 544

If we get Ward, Morgan and Wilson in the top 3, that'll leave El open to start doing more Punt and Kick returns, which we all know is a good thing :P
Old 09-07-2005, 10:46 PM   #47
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

In any interview w/ Cowher earlier in the preseason he said that El probably will still return some punts but not near as many as before due to his increased duty w/ the starting unit. Ike Taylor and Coc have the kickoff return game pretty much nailed down, atleast for now.
Old 09-07-2005, 11:02 PM   #48
Koopa
Living Legend

Member Number: 508

Quote:
Originally Posted by TasmanianTroy271
If we get Ward, Morgan and Wilson in the top 3, that'll leave El open to start doing more Punt and Kick returns, which we all know is a good thing :P
i doubt ARE drops any lower then the 3rd option, just cause he's been here a long time and he's shown he's no less or no more then a 3rd option wr.

Last edited by Koopa; 09-07-2005 at 11:24 PM. Reason: cause 3rd option sounds better than 3 option, lol
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 11:21 PM   #49
BB2W
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 328

I like what Arians had to say about him....
Old 09-08-2005, 12:25 AM   #50
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

http://steelersfever.com/forums/show...9062#post19062

Check it out !!!