Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 05-22-2007, 09:57 AM   #1
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363
Default Back to work

Tuesday, May 22, 2007
Steelers.com

The Steelers will get back to work on Tuesday with the start of Organized Team Activities (OTA's). Over the next four weeks the OTA's will give the team, including all of the rookies, a chance to work together and continue to grow as a unit.

"It's about continuing to develop an understanding of our football and we have been using that phrase quite a bit," said Tomlin. "Our football, what is going to be our playing personality? What kind of culture are we trying to create in this building, with this football team? The only way we can do that is to keep coming together and keep working on the details of situational football."

In the past OTA's have had a wide range of focus, not hitting on one particular area in each session. But Tomlin is changing that, giving different sessions themes to help pull things together and cover all the key areas.

"We are going to focus on different elements of football," said Tomlin. "We are going to have two-minute emphasis. We have red zone emphasis and short-yardage days. We will have hurry-up offense. We are going to have no-huddle offense. We will have all of the elements of the game that need to be addressed.

"We respect situational football. We know that the outcomes of games are defined by what happens in critical downs and distances. So, we are going to continue to grow in that way and develop an understanding of what professional football is about in that way. We want to learn how to play the game by the rules, based on the unwritten rules of situations."

The OTA's are not mandatory, but you can expect the majority of the players to be on hand for them.

"It is not mandatory, but it is highly encouraged," said Tomlin. "It is about getting better and preparing ourselves, not only for the things that are awaiting us this season, but collectively. Part of that is having the ability to work together; the cohesion that it takes to be successful. Of course, it will be strongly encouraged."

The team will wrap up the OTA's on June 14 and then break until training camp on July 23, so this is a key time for all.

"It is very important to everybody," said Tomlin. "That is what the off-season is about; that is what the organized team activity is about. When you look at it, we are getting to a critical stage of the off-season, as we move forward and move toward training camp. We will continue to install our football and continue to work on our situational football. We have to continue to work the details that are going to allow us to be successful. It is a critical time."
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 10:26 AM   #2
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398
Default Re: Back to work

When I saw the title of this thread I was thinking, "Someone else's boss caught them online during working hours too!"

But it's nice to see it's not that bad (LOL).

It's good to see Tomlin giving focus to several areas for the players and the team. It's going to be interesting to see how this transpires onto the field come September!

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 10:39 AM   #3
rbryan
Team President

Member Number: 5196

Just saw the report that Faneca didn't show today. No surprise I guess. At least his future replacement will get some much needed work.
rbryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 10:45 AM   #4
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan View Post
Just saw the report that Faneca didn't show today. No surprise I guess. At least his future replacement will get some much needed work.
Kemo was the strongest guard in his draft class...He just needed to work on technigue...From what I have seen in his limited appearances...he looked JUST as good as Simmons....He may not be Faneca...But he is NO slouch!!!!...and dont forget...Colon plays guard..and so does Mahan.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 10:49 AM   #5
atrus20
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 1207

You would think that if Faneca really wanted the Steelers to give him a good contract he would show up to these OTAs as a sign of good faith. Oh well, guess we'll finally see how good these younger lineman are.
Old 05-22-2007, 11:14 AM   #6
TackleMeBen
Southern Belle
Supporter

Location: where all the cute men are(especially the one in my avatar)
Member Number: 4435

Maybe Mikey T can get Ben into shape and stop looking like this:

In memory of my brother Michael, who gave me my love of sports. I will miss you!
TackleMeBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 11:34 AM   #7
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 6,359 Times in 2,912 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan View Post
Yep - here is the link

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07142/788052-66.stm

So much for Tomlin's optimism that some good might come after they talked.

Need to sign those that the Steelers want who also want to stay (hint to AJR II - that player's name rhymes with Roy). Hopefully the Steelers do not sign a marginal OL who needs to go (Simmons or Starks) to make up for Faneca's departure.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 11:36 AM   #8
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by TackleMeBen View Post
Maybe Mikey T can get Ben into shape and stop looking like this:
Since when? If anything, Ben was underweight last year.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 11:46 AM   #9
TackleMeBen
Southern Belle
Supporter

Location: where all the cute men are(especially the one in my avatar)
Member Number: 4435

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
Since when? If anything, Ben was underweight last year.
that is true. but it wasnt because he wanted to be underweight..lol.

In memory of my brother Michael, who gave me my love of sports. I will miss you!
TackleMeBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 11:47 AM   #10
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by TackleMeBen View Post
that is true. but it wasnt because he wanted to be underweight..lol.
LOL - you're probably right.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote