Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 05-23-2007, 10:12 PM   #41
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Default Re: Steelers Release Veteran Punter Chris Gardocki

Well, Gardocki was the 10th-ranked punter in the league in 2004, his first season with us, which is quite respectable:

2004 NFL Punting Stats

However, he showed serious decline over both 2005 and 2006, ranking 23rd and 30th in the league, respectively:

2005 NFL Punting Stats

2006 NFL Punting Stats

I wish Gardocki all the best, but this is a much-needed change at the position for us.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 10:24 PM   #42
ChronoCross
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 2201

Field position is a key in this game and it was time for old boy to go. Best of luck to were ever he goes.
ChronoCross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 10:33 PM   #43
GBMelBlount
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 5140
Thanked 2,067 Times in 946 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LambertLunatic View Post
He'll sign with the Browns, and have a kick blocked in week 1 by the steelers

LMAO!
GBMelBlount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 11:07 PM   #44
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX Steel View Post
The Sepulveda era officially begins! I watched this guy in college for a couple years and he can be really special. Plus he's got to be the most athletic punter I've ever seen! No sissy punter jokes comin' his way...
You won't get any from me. The value of an athletic punter:

Relatively early in SB XVIII, Ray Guy jumped at least 3 feet vertically to snag a terrible snap and still got off a beauty of a punt, keeping the momentum from swinging greatly in the Redskins' favor and averting what would have been a disastrous turnover for the Raiders in a game that was still up for grabs at that point. That was one of three plays I still remember clearly from that game, along with Theismann's pick six right before halftime and Marcus Allen's 74-yd TD run. And that play by Guy was just as key as the other 2. If Sepulveda turns out to be 1/2 the punter Guy was, I'll be ecstatic.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 12:09 AM   #45
SteelersMongol
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 2401

Quote:
September 23, 2008. Father/Son Football Game An Overall Success
The father and son football game at Hobbesville Elementary School last night would be hard pressed to rival the AFC playoff game between the Colts and the Steelers in 2006, but it was a hit, nonetheless.

The game was going well until a mix-up in the second quarter caused a twenty minute hiatus in play. The escalation occured when 3' 6" 3rd grader Billy Tompkins slipped through the line on Fourth and 5 and blocked former Super Champion Chris Gardocki's punt, the first time the NFL Punter had been blocked. What happened next was tragic.

The former Pro panicked and the results were not pretty.

"He just didn't know what to do," recalls father John Granderson, "he was acting on pure instinct and adrenaline."

Gardocki, realizing what had happened, picked up the loose ball and began looking for blockers, not realizing that in this particular casual game the ball is considered dead after a block. After what occured next, the 103 people in attendence soon realized why the rule was implemented.

"We don't want anyone to get hurt," said Assistant Principal, and fill in Linebacker Gram Reaves, "So after a blocked kick... or punt... or fumble... we don't want a pileup, we whistle the ball dead."

Gardocki did not hear the whistle, though and began charging toward the endzone, giving a hard stiff arm to 2nd grader Nigel Thorington, sending the youngster to the ground with a shrill scream. Fortunately, the child is in stable condition at Hobbesville Regional Hospital near the Dairy Queen on Grant Street.

After eluding Thorington he ran lowered his shoulder into overweight 3rd grader Tubbs Norrington, while the little chubber was attempting to pour a cup of Gatorade near the sideline. The boy, surprised by the impact, and too fat to catch his balance, fell into the cooler and knocked the refreshing beverage onto a nearby elderly woman in a wheelchair. The woman was not harmed, but, according to eyewitness accounts can not get the smell of Riptide Rush off of her throwover.

Gardocki dashed into the endzone after a 56 yard dash of terror with a trail of pursuing parents and a wake of destruction behind.

"We couldn't get the ball off of him," recalled Reaves. "He had this crazy look in his eye. You know like the kind of look a pitbull has when you try to take its bone, or some fat guy at the Ponderosa who won't give up a chicken wing. He kept screaming 'that kid came out of nowhere! That kid came out of nowhere!' It was f*cking scary."

Gardocki began to calm after he vomited and soiled himself, but would still not let go of the ball.

"It was the only one we had," Reaves recalled. "My wife had to take the Buick to Dick's and buy a new one. It took like a half hour. It's probably for the best, though, he had throw up all over the damn thing."

Gardocki recovered on "The Time Out Bench" with two second graders who were forced to sit out a quarter after spitting on each other. His son, however, did not want to continue after the tragedy and waited, embarrassed, in the Escalade until his father was alright to drive.

"You have to feel for the guy," said Granderson. "He's not used to that... Did you know that he had never been blocked? I didn't know that."
Funny but NOT VERY NICE.
Old 05-24-2007, 12:16 AM   #46
SteelersMongol
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 2401

Quote:
Originally Posted by PisnNapalm View Post
Cripes.... Why all the bashing on Gardocki? We all saw this coming the moment Sepulveda was drafted. Chris did nothing but his best while he was with us. I can't fault him for that. Yes he's pretty much over the hill, but who the hell else could we have used last year?

I wish him the best in whatever he does in the future.
Same here. Why would you guys start jumping on the guy? Just because he was a Clown once in his lifetime? Then what about the our former HC Cowher? (Note, I'm not saying he is compared to Cowher!) Christ did his best while he was a Steeler. That's it. That's all what matters mostto me. I wish him the best with whatever happens to him. Yep. Even if he signs with the Clowns again.
Old 05-24-2007, 12:16 AM   #47
SteelerWatch
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 5526

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crushzilla View Post
Man, pretty brutal on ol' Chris today...

He'll retire. Where can he go from here... I can see it now...
Crush, thanks. This was twice as funny considering I'm reading it through one eye at 1:15am waiting for antacids to kick in, and also because (and take it from a former news editor here) you dang near nailed perfect newspaper style. The ending was classic!
Old 05-24-2007, 12:25 AM   #48
SteelerWatch
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 5526

Quote:
Originally Posted by PisnNapalm View Post
... Yes he's pretty much over the hill, but who the hell else could we have used last year? ...
We did have Mike Barr but Gardocki was picked over him at TC. It does make you wonder, given how disinterested he was, if Bill paid much attention to the competition in TC. I don't know how good Barr is, but if we've dragged him to camp more than once there has to be something worth looking at.
Old 05-24-2007, 03:18 AM   #49
Crushzilla
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 5106

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerWatch View Post
Crush, thanks. This was twice as funny considering I'm reading it through one eye at 1:15am waiting for antacids to kick in, and also because (and take it from a former news editor here) you dang near nailed perfect newspaper style. The ending was classic!
That High School Journalism class kicked in there
Old 05-24-2007, 04:01 AM   #50
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,321 Times in 1,411 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

I'M glad we got someone who can punt the ball past 30 yards.
Galax Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote