Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 05-24-2007, 04:34 PM   #21
TackleMeBen
Southern Belle
Supporter

Location: where all the cute men are(especially the one in my avatar)
Member Number: 4435
Default Re: Will Roethlisberger be cashing in early?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
I think Cope had a problem with Ben tooting his own horn for it, rather than the act of donating his playoff game paycheck itself. I have to admit it does make a person look somewhat disingenuous - it makes it look like they had alterior motives for donating the money in the first place.

some people that continously donate money and brag about it I would agree with you about the alterior motives. somehow i dont think that is what he was trying to do, but its just my opinion

In memory of my brother Michael, who gave me my love of sports. I will miss you!
TackleMeBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 04:37 PM   #22
alittlejazzbird
Team Captain

Member Number: 1403

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
Myron Cope unloaded on Ben for making a big splash about donating his 2004 playoff check in the Jets game to tsunami victims as showing up the vets. At that point Ben had not lost a game - my bet is Myron had some locker room sources who backed him up on that.

There is a difference between being a brash leader and a showboat. I think that is what drove Cowher up the wall when Ben complained about playing through the "broken toes" and the "broken thumb."

Those issues had nothing to do with salary.
I thought at the time, and I still think, that the only reason Ben made his donation public was to encourage other people (fans, players, everyone) to donate. How on earth is he showing up the vets by doing that? Ultimately, no one but Ben knows what his motive was, but sometimes a thing is simply what it seems to be, and no more.

Any player who resented what Ben did should examine their own conscience to figure out why they were so unhappy. Jealousy and insecurity are at the root of resentment virtually 100% of the time.

Office hours are now over....
Signed, Dr. Jazzbird
alittlejazzbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 04:37 PM   #23
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by TackleMeBen View Post
some people that continously donate money and brag about it I would agree with you about the alterior motives. somehow i dont think that is what he was trying to do, but its just my opinion
Oh, I agree - I don't think that was Ben's intention at all. However, it may appear to some folks that was what was going on, and I can understand that reasoning as well.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 04:40 PM   #24
TackleMeBen
Southern Belle
Supporter

Quote:
Oh, I agree - I don't think that was Ben's intention at all. However, it may appear to some folks that was what was going on, and I can understand that reasoning as well.
maybe he was automatically going to behind the 8 ball so to say, b/c no matter what he did or does someone is going to say there are alterior motives for him doing it.

In memory of my brother Michael, who gave me my love of sports. I will miss you!
Old 05-24-2007, 04:42 PM   #25
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:
maybe he was automatically going to behind the 8 ball so to say, b/c no matter what he did or does someone is going to say there are alterior motives for him doing it.
Yep - damned if you do, damned if you don't if you're a public figure. Makes me glad I'm an anonymous everyday Joe.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 04:43 PM   #26
TackleMeBen
Southern Belle
Supporter

Quote:
Yep - damned if you do, damned if you don't if you're a public figure. Makes me glad I'm an anonymous everyday Joe.

lol...there are pros and cons to both i guess .

Old 05-24-2007, 04:48 PM   #27
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

I really hope they sign him before he has a monster 2007 and he will have a monster 2007.
Old 05-24-2007, 04:49 PM   #28
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

Well.....ah nevermind, it's not even worth it.
Old 05-24-2007, 04:49 PM   #29
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 7,146 Times in 3,213 Posts

Quote:
maybe he was jealous that he didnt want to depart with his money as ben did. (dont kill me for saying that.) i always think its a good thing when a public figure does something good for the less fortunate. We always hear about the bad stories, when there are many good stories that dont get told about high profile people actually trying to do something good. And if I were Ben at the time I would have told Cope to stick.
I will not kill you for it but point out the following:

You may be curious why is The Terrible TowelTM on the front page of Allegheny Valley School's web site? The answer: Because Myron Cope is a dedicated friend to AVS.

In 1996, Myron Cope walked into Allegheny Valley School President and CEO Regis Champ's office and said, "Rege, I've got a gift for you." He then handed over documents that gave the ownership of The Terrible TowelTM trademark to Allegheny Valley School. From that day forward, the proceeds from the sale of any Terrible Stuff have come to Allegheny Valley School.

Why did Myron make this generous gift to AVS? "Allegheny Valley School is the very best organization of its kind I know of, and I speak from experience," says Cope. "My son Danny, who was born brain-damaged and can neither speak nor otherwise function normally, has lived at Allegheny Valley School since 1982. For my late wife Mildred and me, Allegheny Valley School was a Godsend. Danny is happy and is cared for with expertise, understanding and love."

http://www.avs.net/terribletowel.cfm

The Terrible Towel has generated more than $1.1 million for Allegheny Valley since 1996, when the towel's designer, famed broadcaster Myron Cope, donated ownership of the trademark to the school.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...nt_457639.html

Doesn't look like Myron was jealous, does it now?
Atlanta Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 04:51 PM   #30
Elvis
Banned

Member Number: 2390

Good point reve...
That is the big thing in this subject, if he has a monster year, then the Steelers are gonna be happy to pay him the money I am sure. But if he struggles then his stock will go down. I hope that the Steelers have to write a big check to the man myself. I just hope that he dont get to hot headed and think that he is the greatest ever. Terry Bradshaw is still the best ever QB to suit up in Pittsburgh Ben, dont forget that...
Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote