Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 05-24-2007, 05:56 PM   #31
TackleMeBen
Southern Belle
Supporter

Location: where all the cute men are(especially the one in my avatar)
Member Number: 4435
Default Re: Will Roethlisberger be cashing in early?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
I will not kill you for it but point out the following:

You may be curious why is The Terrible TowelTM on the front page of Allegheny Valley School's web site? The answer: Because Myron Cope is a dedicated friend to AVS.

In 1996, Myron Cope walked into Allegheny Valley School President and CEO Regis Champ's office and said, "Rege, I've got a gift for you." He then handed over documents that gave the ownership of The Terrible TowelTM trademark to Allegheny Valley School. From that day forward, the proceeds from the sale of any Terrible Stuff have come to Allegheny Valley School.

Why did Myron make this generous gift to AVS? "Allegheny Valley School is the very best organization of its kind I know of, and I speak from experience," says Cope. "My son Danny, who was born brain-damaged and can neither speak nor otherwise function normally, has lived at Allegheny Valley School since 1982. For my late wife Mildred and me, Allegheny Valley School was a Godsend. Danny is happy and is cared for with expertise, understanding and love."

http://www.avs.net/terribletowel.cfm

The Terrible Towel has generated more than $1.1 million for Allegheny Valley since 1996, when the towel's designer, famed broadcaster Myron Cope, donated ownership of the trademark to the school.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...nt_457639.html

Doesn't look like Myron was jealous, does it now?
well thank you for enlightening me. (i am not trying to be witchy.) i really do mean it.

In memory of my brother Michael, who gave me my love of sports. I will miss you!
TackleMeBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 05:58 PM   #32
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,501 Times in 3,737 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TackleMeBen View Post
well thank you for enlightening me. (i am not trying to be witchy.) i really do mean it.
Certainly was not trying to take a shot at you; not that he needs it, but I just wanted to stand up for Myron.

Thanks for the response.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 06:04 PM   #33
TackleMeBen
Southern Belle
Supporter

Location: where all the cute men are(especially the one in my avatar)
Member Number: 4435

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
Certainly was not trying to take a shot at you; not that he needs it, but I just wanted to stand up for Myron.

Thanks for the response.
I didnt take it as such. I didnt know all that information and I am glad you shared it with me.

In memory of my brother Michael, who gave me my love of sports. I will miss you!
TackleMeBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 06:18 PM   #34
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,960 Times in 4,540 Posts

im glad to see the steelers actually contemplating an extension that has more than 1 year remaining on the contract. and i look past bens minor "character flaws". unfortunately for him he wasnt groomed all his life for the spotlight of being a celebrity or to play for a national championship contender such as usc, tennessee, or michigan.

so he does still have some maturing to do, as did terry bradshaw. but the steelers should recognize its a good investment longterm, and i dont think theyre looking at this out of the goodness of their hearts. theyre looking at that $8 million roster bonus thats due in the final season of his contract. so in a sense, 08 can be looked at as the final year of his current deal. that bonus would count towards the 09 cap whereas if it were converted to a signing bonus it could be spread through out his whole contract.
Old 05-24-2007, 09:22 PM   #35
PisnNapalm
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 1225

I have faith that Ben's mishaps last year have screwed his head on even tighter. He won't take things for granted anymore. If he and his agent are smart they will keep things quiet this year and let Ben's play on the field speak instead.

Next year they can begin talking about a new contract. 9 mil up front for not even throwing a ball yet is not chump change.
Old 05-25-2007, 05:08 AM   #36
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,897 Times in 1,634 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

I agree with tony if we give him a extension we can spread it out and not be in cap trouble.
Galax Steeler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 04:13 PM   #37
tony hipchest
Supporter

mark bulger, his agent tom ,and the rams have started preliminary talks on extending his contract. i heard he was quoted in a st lewis newspaper that the sides were close. its fair to put bulger and ben in the same tier, so watch the progress of his deal, as it should set ball park figures and market value of what bens contract could look like.
Old 05-26-2007, 04:19 PM   #38
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 2290

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
mark bulger, his agent tom ,and the rams have started preliminary talks on extending his contract. i heard he was quoted in a st lewis newspaper that the sides were close. its fair to put bulger and ben in the same tier, so watch the progress of his deal, as it should set ball park figures and market value of what bens contract could look like.
Only thing though Ben's agent might use the fact Ben started on a Super Bowl winner where Bulger hasn't...So I think you're right that Ben's contract could look alot like Bulger's new deal Tony but I wouldn't be shocked if Ben gets more coin since he does have one Super Bowl ring.
Black@Gold Forever32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 04:32 PM   #39
tony hipchest
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black and Gold Forever 32 View Post
Only thing though Ben's agent might use the fact Ben started on a Super Bowl winner where Bulger hasn't...So I think you're right that Ben's contract could look alot like Bulger's new deal Tony but I wouldn't be shocked if Ben gets more coin since he does have one Super Bowl ring.
i considered that but between bens horrible superbowl play and bulgers several pro bowl bids (and a worthless mvp trophy in one) i looked at it as a wash. bens youth, and perhaps signing a contract a year later than bulger could put him a bit higher, especially if he approaches 30 td's and a pro bowl level (his best shot making a pro bowl is as an alternate for brady, or for manning or carson to flat out suck).

the guys i was listening to on sirius said $20-22 mil guaranteed would be fair and in tune with market value current high dollar free agents are getting. im real curious how the steelers are gonna deal with that considering the largest signing bonus they ever handed out was to ward ($9 mil in 05). i think the cap has risen by 8% in the last few years so its fair to say bens contract could be that much more than bulgers. next year may be the last year of the huge cap increases though and hit the ceiling. this should curb some of the rediculous spending weve seen the past 2 years.
Old 05-26-2007, 09:16 PM   #40
PAMillerGrrl83
Starter

Member Number: 3274

Ben cant catch a break. Maybe this year will change everything...for the better.

~*Heath Miller: Honakers Finest*~
PAMillerGrrl83 is offline   Reply With Quote