Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 05-24-2007, 09:35 AM   #1
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363
Default For Baker it's all black and gold now

Thursday, May 24, 2007
By Teresa Varley
Steelers.com

He was given his first name because his family loved the Dallas Cowboys and his uncle Wes Chandler is a wide receivers coach with the Cleveland Browns, but there is no doubt that these days Dallas Baker is strictly about the black and gold.

"I was named after the Cowboys," said Baker. "My dad loved the Dallas Cowboys. Most of my family members were Cowboys fans. But I would say all that changed."

It changed after Baker, a wide receiver from Florida, was drafted by the Steelers in the seventh round of the NFL Draft. It meant any loyalty to his team growing up or to family, quickly ended.

"That's my uncle, but I'm trying to help the Steelers get to the Super Bowl the same way I helped the Gators make it to the national championship," said Baker. "So I'll just have to apologize for that later."

While the draft was playing out and Baker was waiting to be selected, Chandler sent him text messages telling him to hang in there and be patient. It was a long two days for him waiting for that selection, but in the end, it worked out.

"He was just saying, 'Hang in there and relax. Everything else will take care of itself,'" said Baker. "He was like, 'whatever team takes you just make sure you go in there and you give 110 percent ? and that's on special teams, or playing wide receiver, or whatever. Just go in there and take advantage of that opportunity.'

"I'm not disappointed. I was thinking about going earlier on. I though I would have went early on. But I was just looking at it as a blessing and an opportunity. I mean, who wouldn't want to play football for a living? It's something that I love to do, so to have an opportunity to play it for a living, I'm just going to take it and run with it."

Baker brings a winning attitude with him to the Steelers. He was a member of the Gators National Championship team from last year and didn't get the nickname Dallas Baker "The Touchdown Maker," for nothing, having scored 10 of them his senior season.

"It was exciting and was a dream come true," said Baker. "You grow up as a kid watching the National Championship. So to have an opportunity to play in it, that was just great. And then to come out and score the first touchdown to help fuel my team to victory ? there's nothing greater than that."

And he wants to have that same kind of success with the Steelers.

"I think we have a chance to go to the Super Bowl," said Baker. "We have a great team. I watched them play last year. We have a great quarterback with Ben [Roethlisberger]."
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 09:51 AM   #2
DACEB
Banned

Member Number: 2911
Default Re: For Baker it's all black and gold now

I hope this kid is the real deal. We desperately need a playmaker at WR, someone who can come up BIG when it counts. Here's to 'Baker The Touchdown Maker' having a bakers dozen TD's this season!!
DACEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 09:54 AM   #3
25MVPKing
Water Boy

Member Number: 5416

I hope he can make it on the roster in an already saturated WR spot. If I remember correctly, he had something like 7 catches per touchdown. And also, if I remember correctly, Florida had at least 2 big name receivers that got more action from Chris Leak. Dallas Baker could be a sleeper because Chris Leak was too busy giving yards to the other guys. But when it came down to scoring, he went to Baker. That says a lot.

We know Ward and Holmes aren't going anywhere. Cedric Wilson, Nate Washington, and Willie Reid may be fighting with Dallas Baker for a spot. And personally, I'd like to see Washington, Reid, and Baker come away with the jobs. And if we want to keep 3 TEs or depeding on how our RB/FB positions play out, it's possible another WR spot won't be available.

Now accepting donations of Photoshop.
25MVPKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 09:57 AM   #4
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 4,458 Times in 1,672 Posts

I hope he turns out to be a good one. Must be painful for those family cowboy fans to root for a Steeler.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 11:42 AM   #5
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding

Hines isn't going to be around forever, Santonio is a pretty good young talent but he's only in his second year. Washington is raw, Reid may be pretty good, and Wilson....ummm...

Yeah, I really hope Baker can be a Touchdown maker for us. I don't expect a Marques Colston or Randy Moss(Those rookie WR's are a rare breed), just a productive target for Ben.
Edman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 11:55 AM   #6
coachspeak33
Banned

Member Number: 2231

i really hope he doesnt get cut....i wanna see how good he can be this time next year
coachspeak33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 03:02 PM   #7
ben2hines=6
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 2277

i dont think willie reid will be in the recievers mix this year....i do believe he will be strictly a special teamer so we dont have another ricardo or santonio incident and i dont think nate washington has anything to worry about with a spot, with a little more work that guy has pro bowl talent
ben2hines=6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 08:52 PM   #8
Mistah_Q
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 5514

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrabt View Post
I hope he turns out to be a good one. Must be painful for those family cowboy fans to root for a Steeler.
If my kid made it to the NFL and latched onto some random team. . I'd still root for the Steelers, even when my kid was playing against them.

"You are going to let the fear of poverty govern your life and your reward will be that you will eat, but you will not live." - George Bernard Shaw
Mistah_Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 09:35 PM   #9
GBMelBlount
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 5140
Thanked 2,063 Times in 945 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edman View Post
Hines isn't going to be around forever, Santonio is a pretty good young talent but he's only in his second year. Washington is raw, Reid may be pretty good, and Wilson....ummm...

Yeah, I really hope Baker can be a Touchdown maker for us. I don't expect a Marques Colston or Randy Moss(Those rookie WR's are a rare breed), just a productive target for Ben.
Good Point. I also hope Reid has a shot. Hope B2H=6 is wrong about Reid. Anywhoo. We have alot of receivers, but hope this guy is a late pick rare diamond.
GBMelBlount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 09:50 PM   #10
The Duke
Living Legend

Member Number: 4800

Can't wait to see this guy play
The Duke is offline   Reply With Quote