Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 05-24-2007, 11:07 AM   #1
SteelersFever
Founder

Member Number: 1
Default Steelers' Alan Faneca: I'll Play Devil's Advocate

Title: Steelers' Alan Faneca: I'll Play Devil's Advocate
Source: Steelers Fever
Date: 5/24/07
Author: Tom Van Wyhe

Link: http://www.steelersfever.com/editorials/0731.html

Summary: With every Pittsburgh fan wagging a finger at Faneca (and a choice finger, I'm sure) I find it difficult to stand by and do nothing in his defense. After all, in every situation there are two sides, two points of view. To ignore the other point of view would be unjust and far too biased.
SteelersFever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 11:31 AM   #2
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,839 Times in 2,700 Posts
Default Re: Steelers' Alan Faneca: I'll Play Devil's Advocate

This article is just the flip side of everyone blaming Faneca and equally wrongheaded.

The claim in the article that the Steelers are not being "loyal" to Faneca by not making an offer Faneca will accept is as nonsensical as any claim Faneca is not being "loyal" to the Steelers by not accepting whatever offer they make.

It's strictly business - loyalty has nothing to do with it.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 11:39 AM   #3
25MVPKing
Water Boy

Member Number: 5416

Rebuttle:

You don't buy a stock for what it has done in the past. You buy a stock for what it has the potential to do in the future. You use the past as an information source for determing potential, but past performance of a stock (or a Pro Bowl football player) does not indicate future performance.

What are you willing to give for Faneca? 3 years/$24 million ? Why not a 5 year contract? Or a 7 year contract? If you love and value him so much, ink him to a 7 year deal and let him die a Steeler. How many shares of General Motors are you willing to buy right now? It's at 31.14 right now. It could go to $40 in the next 5 years. It could also go to $20. Faneca may have 3 good years left in him. He may have 2. Why pay for 3 years of good service if you're only getting 2? Why buy GM at $31.14 now if it might go up to $35 next year and fall to $28 the year after that?

And guess what? If you buy GM at $31.14 now, you can't buy Disney later (it's at $36.17 right now). If you overpay Faneca, how much chance do you have to keep your first round QB, Ben Roethlisberger, or first round S, Troy Polamalu, who both need to be paid well to stick around?

Where there's a salary cap or finite amounts of money (i.e. not the Yankees), you will always have to stack the chips on two sides of a scale and see which one is worth more. Most people would love to see Faneca, Ward, and Porter retire as Steelers. Cap casualties happen....

And no one hurts more than the fans.

Now accepting donations of Photoshop.
25MVPKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 11:48 AM   #4
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

I liked your article. And if you're talking about an individual, then your comments make sense. However, we're talking about a business that involves number crunching and a team that has done it well over the last 10 years (at least).

Now, I didn't blame Faneca for being upset. I believe he has a valid point. He's one of the best lineman in the league and deserves a pay raise. However, he took his beef public instead of to the people that make the decision. Faneca, in my eyes, now looks like a player trying to break the bank.

As it has been previously stated, we've got other players that need to be signed to long term deals. And since that involves the team as a whole, players need to understand, including Faneca, that this is a business and if you want to be on top you have to decide what "On Top" means. Does it mean the big fat contract you sign? Or does it mean the number of times you pick up a Lombardi Trophy and a Super Bowl Ring? From what I've gathered to this point the FO is worried about the latter while Faneca is worried about the money!!!

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 11:51 AM   #5
oldschool
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 5139

Alan signed a contract in 2002 that made him the highest paid guard in the NFL, but that was the only year he was paid at that level, and that hasn't seem to bother him prior to this point. If it is strickly about the big pay day, play out your contract, move on and cash in, there is noting wrong with that. I think most fans would understand that it's a business decision, a fact of life in the NFL. I think the majority of fans are upset about the public soap opera, and the whining. Like I said before Shut up and Play!!!!!!!!!!!
oldschool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 11:54 AM   #6
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

Until athletes start giving money back when they have a bad year....they need to shut up about deserving more money.... until their current contract expires.

...nuff said
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 12:18 PM   #7
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamberts-lost-tooth View Post
Until athletes start giving money back when they have a bad year....they need to shut up about deserving more money.... until their current contract expires.

...nuff said

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 01:09 PM   #8
DACEB
Banned

Member Number: 2911

I'm sorry but I just can't get over the fact that Faneca believes a 3yr/$19mil deal is unfair and a slap in the face. Period.
DACEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 01:14 PM   #9
TackleMeBen
Southern Belle
Supporter

Location: where all the cute men are(especially the one in my avatar)
Member Number: 4435

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamberts-lost-tooth View Post

...nuff said
well that would explain why ben sold his denali on ebay... he had to payback money for the awful season last year...lol

In memory of my brother Michael, who gave me my love of sports. I will miss you!
TackleMeBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 01:42 PM   #10
steelerd
Water Boy

Member Number: 5577

As much as I resent Faneca airing his "Beef" in public, I think we have to look at his side of the issue. 1) It seems he was led to believe that one of his Coaches was going to replace Cower. 2) It seems he was led to believe that he would be rewarded for his effort come contract time. 3) He bought in to Cowher's Team philosphy and always showed up to play. 4) He never showed any sign of anything but loyalty in the past. 5) Team leaders are not a dime a dozen. With others gone (Porter, Hartings, Bettis and others) who is going to take Alan's place?

As Steelers fans, we should hope (and pray) that things could be worked out, because he is a vital part of the Steeler's successes over the 8 years he has been in Pittsburgh.

Who is on the team or available that can fill his pro-bowl shoes? We should try to get the team to work things out long term rather than crucifying him for wanting a fair and equitable contract. Like it or not, good linemen are hard to find. Just ask the Browns!
steelerd is offline   Reply With Quote