Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 05-24-2007, 05:33 PM   #11
rbryan
Team President

Member Number: 5196
Default Re: Steelers' Alan Faneca: I'll Play Devil's Advocate

1. I'm pretty sure no one led him to expect anything about who was gonna be the next coach. Do you really think the mgmt of any NFL team is going to ask the players
opinion??

2. Again with the, "led to believe" ??? Poor Alan was mislead???

3. He did his job. Thats what he's supposed to do. At last contract he was signed as the highest paid guard in the league.

4. He has been in the news on more than one occasion first questioning Rothlisberger as the new QB 2 yrs ago, more recently showing up the FO by crying about Russ Grimm not being hired as coach. And now this crybaby shit fit ?? Is that your idea of loyalty?

5. See #4, he's no longer a team leader.
rbryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 07:20 PM   #12
tomvanwyhe
Water Boy

Member Number: 5535

"Yeah, but ... offensive linemen aren't worth that much money."

Not true. An elite offensive lineman is worth that much. Everything in football begins with the protection and blocking an offensive line provides; without that a team has nothing.

"Even if some other team is dumb enough to pay them that much, they're not worth it."

What other teams pay their players has a direct impact on the market value of all players at that position, whether or not they are worth it.
tomvanwyhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 09:40 PM   #13
Stlrs4Life
Tailgate Coordinator
Supporter

Member Number: 419
My Mood: Bored
Talking Re: Steelers' Alan Faneca: I'll Play Devil's Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
This article is just the flip side of everyone blaming Faneca and equally wrongheaded.

The claim in the article that the Steelers are not being "loyal" to Faneca by not making an offer Faneca will accept is as nonsensical as any claim Faneca is not being "loyal" to the Steelers by not accepting whatever offer they make.

It's strictly business - loyalty has nothing to do with it.

We have a Bingo!

It's not just Steeler Football, it's a way of Life! "I'm a Champion"
Stlrs4Life is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 10:59 PM   #14
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370

1) It seems he was led to believe that one of his Coaches was going to replace Cower.

I highly doubt when Cowher told the Rooneys of his desicion to leave the Steelers that they ran to Alan Faneca asking him who he thought should be the new head coach.The media made it sound like it would be Whiz or Grimm.The media falsley reported Grimm was the choice.They didn't lead anyone to believe anything,the sensationalist media did all of that.

2) It seems he was led to believe that he would be rewarded for his effort come contract time.

And if he wasn't so pigheaded and money-grubbing,he would be.He turned down a very lucrative offer that kept the good of the team in mind.Faneca obviously doesn't care about the TEAM,only HIMSELF.

3) He bought in to Cowher's Team philosphy and always showed up to play.

As was required by his signed name at the bottom of the contract he signed.If he didn't show up,he would have been fined out of the ass.

4) He never showed any sign of anything but loyalty in the past.

So it was loyalty that caused him to bitch and moan when Ben Roethlisberger had to start in place of the injured Tommy Maddox in 2004.It was loyalty when he aired his displeasure with the Rooney's desicion to hire Mike Tomlin.And it was also loyalty when he took his gripe with his contract status public instead of addressing the Rooneys in private of the matter.

His showing up and playing hard was part of the job,not loyalty.In the NFL and the real world these days,people are only loyal to themselves.

5) Team leaders are not a dime a dozen. With others gone (Porter, Hartings, Bettis and others) who is going to take Alan's place?

People leave,it's a reality in the free agent-salary cap world of the NFL.You cannot keep everyone.Alan has always lead by his play,obviously not by his mouth.Ben is stepping up to be more of a leader.Troy is a leader by example (an example Faneca needs to take a look at).Townsend provides much veteran leadership.With Porter gone,Hampton has already said he's looking forward to being more of a vocal leader on this team.

Also,we have the ultimate new leader in Mike Tomlin.It seems all the players with the exception of Faneca are buying into his philosophies which aren't much different from Cowher's.He seems to be a better teacher than Cowher was.

So I think from a leadership standppoint,we'll do just fine.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 12:51 AM   #15
rbryan
Team President

Member Number: 5196

Faneca has no concept of "loyalty" yet he accuses the organization of not honoring it. He was arguably one of the best O Lineman to play for the black & gold in the past 25 years. But his recent actions make that point irrelevent. He is no longer on this TEAM.
rbryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 01:04 AM   #16
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

I could be wrong, but it seems to me that this thread is missing the point of the article.

I think the point was that the Steelers should have released him this year or traded him, so that he could have security in the next few years. I liked reading the opposing article.

I think Faneca is absolutey wrong, thus, I disagree with the article. BUt it was still a good article.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 02:14 AM   #17
Spiritfinds
Water Boy

Member Number: 5582
Default New to this forum

To Tom Van Wyhe and his defense of Faneca. I have always been told there are 3 sides of a story. Their side, your side, and the truth. The average person that works in a corporation last 4 years and makes around 60k a year. All feel and think they worked hard and had the best interest of the company yet were kicked to the curb in the end. Faneca has lasted twice the amount of time and has made more jack in one year than any normal guy could hope to make in 20 or 30 years. My understanding is that Faneca will be paid close to 5 million dollars this year. It is beyond my comprehension in understanding Faneca feeling disrespected or not appreciated. Why complain? Go out and have a hell of a year and then cash in big time next year by signing with some team who will never get close to getting to the SB. Faneca will get his money and Faneca, in a couple of years, will then become a footnote in football history. I believe almost any player would rather play on a winning team and make less money than make more money and play on a loser of a team---especially when the player is making millions in the first place.
Spiritfinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 02:19 AM   #18
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Thanked 1,381 Times in 500 Posts
Default Re: New to this forum

Welcome to the board, Spiritfinds!

If you have any questions or concerns about the site, please feel free to PM (Private Message) myself or one of the other mods. Post often and have fun!

I am attaching your post to the following thread, which contains the post you are responding to:

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=16979
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 02:24 AM   #19
steel#1
Water Boy

Member Number: 3322

Sorry but this may get difficult because my computer has been acting a lot like Faneca, even though it's been paid for and I pay the bill every month it's not working so good right now either(haha). Yes I can understand Faneca's point of view everyone can recognize that a player only has so many good years so he essentially has to make as much money in that time as he can. Now we have the real dilemma--a team or organazation wants to win superballs, a player wants paid, but alas, the dreaded salary cap. There'[s only so much money to go around to all the guys who think they deserve more so Alan needs to decide whether he wants to accept a little less money and shoot for the post-season and another chance at a ring. Or he can accept the alternative--go to a team that cqan afford to pay him the really big money--and fade into obscurity on a team that doesn't even sniff a post-season. His choice.
steel#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 11:00 AM   #20
Glace
Team Captain

Member Number: 3609

All I'm really ticked off about is....it's a contract for however many years....You are contracted to play to the best of your ability, attend mandatory camps and make an effort to get to non-mandatory camps...what have you....

This is not play hard 3 of 4 years and then be a crying pansy baby in your final year because you don't get an extension.

Honestly....(and this goes beyond Faneca too)....if you act like this....or if you do the worst and completely hold out.....you don't get paid at all....period...not fined little piddly slap-on-the-wrist amounts...in fact it should be a breach of that original contract and the team should have the ability to sue the money back out of you.

I'm absolutely sick of guys demanding more money in the last year of their contract. I mean, sure it's a risk to go into your last year without a new contract...I completely understand.....but you're in a very risky sport....an injury could happen at any time, any day anyways. Go play golf if you want zero-risk.
Glace is offline   Reply With Quote