Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 05-24-2007, 07:54 PM   #11
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Re: Marvin Lewis: 'Cincy Police Profile Players'

I'm sure Carson Palmer is loving this. The guy steps up and preaches accountability and maturity only to watch his head coach turn around and place blame on everybody else except his players and himself.
Old 05-24-2007, 07:59 PM   #12
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,883 Times in 4,504 Posts

marvin lewis apologizes
Quote:
Immediately after the Bengals broke their post-practice huddle Wednesday, head coach Marvin Lewis found out there was a football firestorm brewing in the Tri-State. And he was the one responsible for it.
As quickly as the fervor built up from comments Lewis made during his 12:30 p.m. press conference, however, he calmed the team's angry fan base with an apology and clarification of his stance that people outside the organization don't have the personal investment needed to jump on and off the bandwagon of support for the Bengals.

"People's feelings are very emotional that way," said Lewis after practice. "You want them to stay through thick and thin but that's not human nature. It's all I can control. We're going to try and win football games. If we fill the stadium, we've got a great opportunity to have a decisive advantage, which helps."

Moments later, Lewis phoned the Lance McAlister Show on WCKY-AM (1360), which also broadcasts the coach's press conferences, to apologize to fans like "Roger from Bellevue" who had been bombarding the sports talk show for 90 minutes with call after call criticizing Lewis for saying at his press conference with respect to the 12 straight seasons of losing fans have endured: "I understand that. But again, when you don't have anything invested in it, how can it be baggage for you? -- But when you don't work here and don't have anything truly invested in it, it's like going to the movies. If you don't like the actor or the director, I guess you quit going, and that's part of it."

"Roger," said he has been a season-ticket holder since the franchise's opening season of 1968 and has not missed a home game. He called the team's performance Sunday in a loss to Arizona "pathetic" and added: "They stayed at the Ritz (Carlton hotel); they should have stayed at Motel 6."

That's why Lewis phoned the show.

"It was made to people who jumped off the bandwagon," Lewis said on the air. "I didn't mean to offend anybody. -- I do understand that people do have a financial commitment as far buying tickets and season tickets and we're trying to encourage them to do more of that. So, I do apologize to everybody because I didn't mean it to come out that way. It's just my fault. I was wrong in inferring that. I didn't mean to infer it that way."

During his three-minute call, Lewis apologized five times, said he made a mistake three times and said he was wrong once.
oops... wrong apology. lemme see if i can find the most recent one where this dumbass opened his mouth, said something completely retarded, and had to issue a statement trying to sweep everything under the rug. its a doozie.
Old 05-24-2007, 08:09 PM   #13
tony hipchest
Supporter

ok. heres his most recent apology, now excuse me while i go shower after visiting a bungles site to dig up this most recent drivel.

http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=6066
Quote:
Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis released a statement late Thursday afternoon reiterating that he didn’t accuse the Cincinnati Police Department of profiling is players racially or otherwise:

“Yesterday, I gave a radio interview and made some comments that did not illustrate the high regard I have for the Cincinnati Police Department. I apologize that what I said did not reflect my true feelings.

“The Bengals have worked closely and positively with the Cincinnati Police Department for decades. Personally, I enjoy a good friendship with Chief Tom Streicher and I have great respect for Chief Streicher and the entire Cincinnati Police Department. I have spoken with Tom today to express my regret. I do not believe the Cincinnati Police Department is specifically profiling our players.

“I also want to note that in my comments, at no point did I say or mean to imply that these issues had anything to do with race. Broadcast comments to the contrary are simply not true. When I spoke of our players being perhaps more subject to scrutiny than others, I was referring to their standing as public figures.”
anyone see the blatant contradiction in the 2 quotes in bold? perhaps "black jesus" would like to explain the difference between "specifically profiling" and "more subject to scrutiny."

idiot

any suprise him and chief tom "enjoy a good friendship"

i wonder how many apologies tomlin will have to issue? probably none. im sure the rooneys would remind him russ grimm is just a phone call away.

once a bungle, always a bungle.
Old 05-24-2007, 08:20 PM   #14
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656

Wwwwwwwwwwaaaaaaaaaaaa!!! Who Dey pickin' on next????????

(How long before this gets moved to the Blast Furnace?)
"We're not going to turn our backs on him," Ward said. "We're going to treat him like our brother. We're going to accept him back and be very supportive of him and help him get through this. In this locker room, he's still our quarterback."
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 08:35 PM   #15
tony hipchest
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillers4me View Post
Wwwwwwwwwwaaaaaaaaaaaa!!! Who Dey pickin' on next????????

(How long before this gets moved to the Blast Furnace?)
unfortunately the bungles are always in the news for the wrong reasons. thats not smack, its simple fact. i dont see why this news related topic (or every single bengals topic) should be immediately moved to the blast furnace.
Old 05-24-2007, 08:51 PM   #16
Jeremy
Banned

Member Number: 2579

Marvin Lewis is pathetic.
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 09:32 PM   #17
tony hipchest
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
Marvin Lewis is pathetic.
and so are all his defenders. this is the company line:

http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=6067
Quote:
Hobson's Choice: Looking for sanity

May 24, 2007

[question from an e-mailer]:
Why won't Marvin Lewis address some of his players issues instead of deflecting blame? He wouldn't address these issues when they first started happening. Now he is saying local law enforcement is targeting his players. He is going to start losing a lot of respect. Steve, Orlando, FL
STEVE: Let me get this straight. We’ve got somebody over in Kenton County who may have committed governmental misconduct in broad daylight, and the guy who gets saut?ed in the media is a coach shaking his head over a player getting pulled over for not turning on his signal? deflection anyone?

At no time has Lewis deflected blame to anyone but himself and his players, as reflected in his roster moves (A.J. Nicholson), Game Day moves (Chris Henry, Deltha O’Neal) and in his position as the only head coach at commissioner Roger Goodell’s Conduct Summit back in February. P>And he certainly has addressed this stuff with the local and national media, ad nauseum. You only have to go back to the AFC coaches media breakfast in March at the NFL’s annual meeting, where he spun on the spit with the ham and eggs for 45 minutes.

Maybe I’m nuts, but when I read what Marvin said to Dan Patrick I didn’t think he was saying that the police had made his players targets. To me, he was saying his players are high profile and that they’re going to stand out because of who they are. And, in that sense I thought he was saying they aren’t black or NFL players, but celebrities.

And now seeing Marvin’s clarification on Thursday, I wish he had been able to say it just like that. But he didn’t and paid a ludicrous price.

Look, he’s a football coach. I’m not looking for him to be a latter-day silver –tongued William Jennings Bryan but, unfortunately, you have to be nowadays to survive the manholes of 24-hour news. is manholes anything like cornholes?

Of course he wasn’t dissing the Cincy police. Look at all the work he’s done in the community and all the work he’s done with the police and, like police everywhere, they do a hell of a thankless job.

But I think you’ve got to give him a mulligan for being upset on the turn signal. I think a lot of people are with him on that one.

Yet the most disturbing thing is how a few syllables from Lewis got stretched into a controversy while there is a full-scale problem sitting wide open in Kenton County that needs no context. now his words with distinct meaning are nothing more than mere incoherent "syllables"?

Flat out, here’s a judicial institution going public with a false accusation, which would, at the very least, seem to be a gross abuse of office. more defelection anyone?

And a head coach who has raised nearly $3 million for the community is getting flayed for a remark that has to be clarified?

He’s still got my respect. (moron)

I sure wish these guys had a game tomorrow. It seems like that’s what everyone needs to get sane again. dont worry, bunglefans. theres always cornhole or watching marvin lewis play tonsil hockey with the local police department when he issues his next apology.

Old 05-24-2007, 09:55 PM   #18
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Thanked 1,380 Times in 499 Posts

I doubt I will get much disagreement here, so I hereby proudly proclaim Marvin Lewis as Steelers Fever's first ever

Congratulations, Mr. Lewis. You've certainly earned it.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 10:12 PM   #19
tony hipchest
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
I doubt I will get much disagreement here, so I hereby proudly proclaim Marvin Lewis as Steelers Fever's first ever

Congratulations, Mr. Lewis. You've certainly earned it.
well maybe not 1st ever...:

(from our sf fantasy nascar league. thanks BB2W!)
Old 05-24-2007, 10:23 PM   #20
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Thanked 1,380 Times in 499 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
well maybe not 1st ever...:

(from our sf fantasy nascar league. thanks BB2W!)
Aww, after I went through the trouble of "producing" that purty certificate and all - I'm crushed.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote