Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 05-25-2007, 06:06 PM   #11
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Re: Timmons frusturated with injury

It's May. The guy pulled a groin. It happens. I'm sure he will be ready to go come September.
Old 05-25-2007, 06:07 PM   #12
TX Steel
Water Boy

Member Number: 5558

I want to see him play, but we have enough LBs in our arsenal now. Get him 100%.

It's good to see that he's wanting to get out there. Not uncommon for rookies on any team to rush things due to eagerness.
TX Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 09:24 PM   #13
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
This is just great

Pacing impatiently on the sideline at Steelers' South Side practice facility Thursday, linebacker Lawrence Timmons, the team's first-round draft pick from Florida State, watches and waits for his pulled groin to heal.

The injury he suffered in his first workout at the team's minicamp two weeks ago has kept him out of action -- and otherwise out of mind.

Timmons sat out his seventh consecutive workout yesterday -- a total that includes the four minicamp workouts he's missed since joining the Steelers.

Timmons' injury, suffered in the first hour of his first NFL workout, is severe enough to limit his physical activity and prevent him from playing at full speed.

"I don't think he can go out there right now, to be honest with you," [linebackers coach] Butler said. "The thing we want to be sure we don't do is have this be an ongoing problem, with him coming back too quick and repulling it.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_509405.html

So the first round pick arguably had conditioning issues when he got winded when working out for scouts prior to the draft and ran a slow 40; now he breaks down in his first workout. Not exactly what you want to read.

Hopefully he is a fast healer - I recall when Bettis injured his groin in November 2001 he did not play again until the AFC Championship game and was ineffective then. Bettis afterwards said it took the entire offseason to heal.
I can't blame him for being frustrated. He just need to heal. Maybe he'll start this year if he works hard enough.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 09:38 PM   #14
Elvis
Banned

Member Number: 2390

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43 View Post
It's May. The guy pulled a groin. It happens. I'm sure he will be ready to go come September.
Yeah.. I have to agree with ya myself. There is plenty of time to get healed up and get things right with him without throwing him in there at 70 percent or so and not having him all year. This just may give time to the other LB's on this team to have their time to impress our coaches for their very own playing time..Things happen for a reason folks...
Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 12:26 AM   #15
SteelCzar76
Banned

Member Number: 2498

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
So the first round pick arguably had conditioning issues when he got winded when working out for scouts prior to the draft and ran a slow 40; now he breaks down in his first workout.

It's "nothin" Dan. Don't you realize that because Timmons was drafted by us that any shortcomings that he had regarding measurables and or conditioning, along with his inability to crack the starting lineup until late in his collegiate years on a FSU roster that was but a mere shadow of it's former self,.......are now null and void ?
SteelCzar76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 01:22 AM   #16
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Thanked 1,380 Times in 499 Posts

I just hope and pray this kid doesn't turn out to be another Huey Richardson.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 01:34 AM   #17
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCzar76 View Post
It's "nothin" Dan. Don't you realize that because Timmons was drafted by us that any shortcomings that he had regarding measurables and or conditioning, along with his inability to crack the starting lineup until late in his collegiate years on a FSU roster that was but a mere shadow of it's former self,.......are now null and void ?
Some are late-bloomers... either because of genetics or maturity. Others just don't click into a system. SO I don't consider his not breaking into the starting lineup until late in his college career a big problem.

Also... I have had pulled groin muscles... both when I was in shape and NOT in shape. I don't think it necessarily points to conditioning.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 02:31 AM   #18
SteelCzar76
Banned

Member Number: 2498

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
Some are late-bloomers... either because of genetics or maturity. Others just don't click into a system. SO I don't consider his not breaking into the starting lineup until late in his college career a big problem.

Also... I have had pulled groin muscles... both when I was in shape and NOT in shape. I don't think it necessarily points to conditioning.

So what your saying Padre is that Timmons just did'nt 'click' into a system (Bowden's) that is predicated most purely upon speed and and athleticism because of a lack of maturity ?
And that he was absoloutely in the best condition that he could possibly be in for all of his pre draft workouts,.....as to compensate for his lack of height, weight and aforementioned speed ?
Don't get me wrong,...'measurables' don't always make the player. As more often than not this is a matter of will and application. But with that said,.... i would like to see you,...or anyone else here give two reasons as to why Timmons deserved to be our 1st round selection with the 15th pick,...other than "Hey,...he's the guy we selected,....I love him !" LOL
SteelCzar76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 02:46 AM   #19
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,886 Times in 4,506 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCzar76 View Post
So what your saying Padre is that Timmons just did'nt 'click' into a system (Bowden's) that is predicated most purely upon speed and and athleticism because of a lack of maturity ?
And that he was absoloutely in the best condition that he could possibly be in for all of his pre draft workouts,.....as to compensate for his lack of height, weight and aforementioned speed ?
Don't get me wrong,...'measurables' don't always make the player. As more often than not this is a matter of will and application. But with that said,.... i would like to see you,...or anyone else here give two reasons as to why Timmons deserved to be our 1st round selection with the 15th pick,...other than "Hey,...he's the guy we selected,....I love him !" LOL
i think timmons was drafted cause we were drafting for need, and not neccesarily taking the best player on the board. as time passes, i sure hope revis woulda been our pick if the jets didnt snooker us (or atleast we wouldve traded the #15 to the jets so they coulda picked him and we get some value in return.)

timmons is ours now, and its up to tomlin to caoch him up to something bowden didnt.
Old 05-27-2007, 09:27 AM   #20
SteelerMurf
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 2064

Timmons sat behind some good defensive talent the last couple years. How many years straight now have they had a LB go in the first round?

I say let him heal. I don't care if he doesn't practice until training camp.