Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 05-27-2007, 09:59 PM   #1
alittlejazzbird
Team Captain

Member Number: 1403
Default Clayton/ESPN: (Ben Roethlisberger) Best Way to Tell Teams on the Rise is QB Stats

It's a numbers and stats kind of article, and math always makes my eyes glaze over, so I'll leave the heavy reading up to you! Expect the usual Carson Palmer lovefest (i.e., third best quarterback in the NFL behind P. Manning and Brady)....but here's the stuff relevant to Ben and the Steelers:

Quote:
Enough about the stats. Let's look ahead to putting into perspective what might happen in 2007. Let's play the percentages. The Bengals, Seahawks, Cardinals, Steelers, 49ers and Panthers are prime candidates for making completion percentage jumps of 4 percentage points. Of those six teams, only the Seahawks made the playoffs.
Quote:
Naturally, the Bengals will have to watch Ben Roethlisberger in Pittsburgh. Roethlisberger is a career 62 percent thrower, but more will be asked of him this year. The Steelers should put up between 22 and 25 points a game. After a 59.7 percent season, Roethlisberger should bounce back.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/column...ohn&id=2881407
alittlejazzbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 10:10 PM   #2
The Duke
Living Legend

Member Number: 4800
Default Re: Clayton/ESPN: (Ben Roethlisberger) Best Way to Tell Teams on the Rise is QB Stat

I'm not too trusting on stats but if what they mean Ben will put better numbers this year I agree with them. He has new resposibilities, a rookie coach easier to befriends with, and should have recovered from his accident completely. I say as long as the o line protects him better than last year he'll be fine.
The Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 10:14 PM   #3
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Thanked 1,380 Times in 499 Posts
Default Re: Clayton/ESPN: (Ben Roethlisberger) Best Way to Tell Teams on the Rise is QB Stat

Article in a nutshell: if you want a chance to win the SB, you have to have a top-flight QB. No shit - been saying that for years.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 10:51 PM   #4
Jeremy
Banned

Member Number: 2579

I take back everything bad I said about ESPN.
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 07:36 AM   #5
Elvis
Banned

Member Number: 2390

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
Article in a nutshell: if you want a chance to win the SB, you have to have a top-flight QB. No shit - been saying that for years.
Fan.. seems like you and myself always seem to think around the same lines. I just dont think that Big Ben is gonna be the big passing guy that everyone is hoping for though. He has shown in the past to be very unpredictable in the pass happy situations. Last year in the Browns game that we won 24-20, he looked great in the 2nd half of that game, but look what he looked like against the Raiders earlier in the season. He is very inconsistent in those situations. I just hope that the injuries that he had sustained in the offseason last year was the cause of the early mistakes that he made.
Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 11:09 AM   #6
myopunger55
Water Boy

Member Number: 5491

What he looked like against the Raiders was a shell shocked QB getting crushed within a half second everytime he dropped back. What? Didn't Burgess have like 4 sacks against us that fine Sunday afternoon? Blame that on the line, not Ben. There are fighter pilots that don't have the reactions to make a decision that quickly! Did you forget the run to the Superbowl? We opened up against the Broncos and attacked throught the air the whole first half! And Indy? We rode his arm to number 5! He has all the tools. Go Steelers!
myopunger55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 11:24 AM   #7
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Thanked 1,380 Times in 499 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedosesteelers2006 View Post
Fan.. seems like you and myself always seem to think around the same lines. I just dont think that Big Ben is gonna be the big passing guy that everyone is hoping for though.
I kinda hope he isn't - I don't want to see him throwing the ball 40-50 times a game, because to me, that is a sure-fire recipe for failure.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 02:21 PM   #8
ben2hines=6
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 2277

is it just me or did we just get put in the same catagorie as the damn cardinals
ben2hines=6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 02:41 PM   #9
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 4,242 Times in 1,803 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by myopunger55 View Post
What he looked like against the Raiders was a shell shocked QB getting crushed within a half second everytime he dropped back. What? Didn't Burgess have like 4 sacks against us that fine Sunday afternoon? Blame that on the line, not Ben. There are fighter pilots that don't have the reactions to make a decision that quickly! Did you forget the run to the Superbowl? We opened up against the Broncos and attacked throught the air the whole first half! And Indy? We rode his arm to number 5! He has all the tools. Go Steelers!
yup i agree. its up to the coaches to put him in situations where he can succeed. he's already displayed the physical and mental ability to carry the team to wins.but everyone around him has to do thier part.

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 02:46 PM   #10
FastWillieParker39
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 4348

If there going to pass more than maybe the coaches see something in Ben that we haven't seen yet. Maybe Cowher has been holding him back 2 years now. Maybe he's starting to break out of his shell.

I don't see Ben passing more as a bad thing nor a good thing. I guess all we can do is sit back, wait and watch.