Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 05-26-2007, 12:14 PM   #21
drew102e
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 5081
Default Re: dan rooney on bill cowher

Quote:
Originally Posted by TackleMeBen View Post
maybe we should have just gave ben the year off and let charlie play, maybe then we could have been in the playoffs.
at least the friggin raiders game...then we would have ben in playoffs cause of the tie breaker with KC, but hindsight is 20/20
Old 05-26-2007, 12:17 PM   #22
drew102e
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 5081

Quote:
Originally Posted by delhess View Post
how would we, as fans, feel about cowher going to cleveland next year? i don't know if i could cheer against him. that's like george bush joining al-quida!
or GW bush joining Mensa, it just doesnt make sense does it
Old 05-26-2007, 12:23 PM   #23
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew102e View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by delhess View Post
how would we, as fans, feel about cowher going to cleveland next year? i don't know if i could cheer against him. that's like george bush joining al-quida!
or GW bush joining Mensa, it just doesnt make sense does it
You have to admit it would make the rivalry much more interesting.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 12:36 PM   #24
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Let me throw in two teams that no one has discussed... as um.. darkhorse teams.

1. Seattle. Regionally it is very different. However, Seattle does NOT have a history of coaches staying for a long time. If Seattle has one or two mediocre seasons, the coach will be gone. he has been there quite a while for Seattle standards.

2. Tampa Bay. Tampa wants a strong Defensive team. They have gone WAY downhill, after getting a taste of winning. Expect them to make a move to a winning coach with a strong defensive mind. And don't forget the Pittsburgh connection with Tampa... it was Tony Dungy who brought that team all thier success.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 08:51 PM   #25
yinzer-inseattle
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 4779

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
Let me throw in two teams that no one has discussed... as um.. darkhorse teams.

1. Seattle. Regionally it is very different. However, Seattle does NOT have a history of coaches staying for a long time. If Seattle has one or two mediocre seasons, the coach will be gone. he has been there quite a while for Seattle standards.

2. Tampa Bay. Tampa wants a strong Defensive team. They have gone WAY downhill, after getting a taste of winning. Expect them to make a move to a winning coach with a strong defensive mind. And don't forget the Pittsburgh connection with Tampa... it was Tony Dungy who brought that team all thier success.
I really think Kay's got Bill by the nose. I'd be shocked if he coached anywhere more than an hour flight from raleigh-durham. The Panthers, Chiefs, Redskins and Giants would be my gueses (in that order).
Old 05-27-2007, 05:57 PM   #26
DACEB
Banned

Member Number: 2911

I would love to see Cowher go to Cleveland, that way we could beat the snot out of him year in and year out.

I think Cowher was a very good coach for us, but great?? I don't think so. I think he showed great promise taking the team to the SB in his 3rd season, but in the end he was just like Marty his mentor. I know there is alot of love for Cowher but really one SB win in 15 years and losing 2 AFC championship games at home is inexcusable.

There are many who doubt coach Tomlin, I do not. I would love to see Cowher in Cleveland just to prove to the doubters who the better coach is, which I believe will be Tomlin.

Before everyone gets all crazy defending Cowher, ask yourself do you expect to win more than 1 SB in 15 years no matter who the coach is? I do! If that doesn't work try to remember how you felt after those two loses to the Pats! 'F**king Cowher that choker' never crossed your mind or came out of your mouth.

Come home to Cleveland Bill, we're all waiting!!!
DACEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 06:05 PM   #27
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 6,382 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DACEB View Post
Before everyone gets all crazy defending Cowher, ask yourself do you expect to win more than 1 SB in 15 years no matter who the coach is? I do! If that doesn't work try to remember how you felt after those two loses to the Pats! 'F**king Cowher that choker' never crossed your mind or came out of your mouth.
Seeing as there are 32 teams, winning one SB every 15 years works out to twice as many as arguably should be expected, especially for a small market team that cannot spend its way out of personnel mistakes.

Cowher was not Lombardi, Noll or Walsh, but ask Lions or Falcons fans (to use two examples) if they would take his record over what they have been served up for the last 15 years.

I hope Tomlin works out and certainly had issues with the 2006 model of Cowher, but for everyone who regards his departure as an unqualified blessing, be careful what you wish for. If Tomlin was told today he would have Cowher's record over the next 15 years I bet he would take it in a heartbeat.

P.S. - he lost 4 home AFC championship games, but I admit 2 would have been bad enough.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 06:08 PM   #28
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

Quote:
I would love to see Cowher go to Cleveland, that way we could beat the snot out of him year in and year out.

I think Cowher was a very good coach for us, but great?? I don't think so. I think he showed great promise taking the team to the SB in his 3rd season, but in the end he was just like Marty his mentor. I know there is alot of love for Cowher but really one SB win in 15 years and losing 2 AFC championship games at home is inexcusable.

There are many who doubt coach Tomlin, I do not. I would love to see Cowher in Cleveland just to prove to the doubters who the better coach is, which I believe will be Tomlin.

Come home to Cleveland Bill, we're all waiting!!!
The thing is Cowher would almost certainly make the Browns very competitve in the AFCN - and thats with the bengals and Ravens already looking like tough opposition.

Sure, Cowher may have been outcoached in the AFCCG a couple of times but when it comes to building a fundamentally sound team Cowher would be near the top of my list (along with Belichick and Parcells).

Cowher to the Browns can only have negative connotations - mainly because Cleveland has nowhere to go but up.
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 08:20 AM   #29
DACEB
Banned

Member Number: 2911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
Seeing as there are 32 teams, winning one SB every 15 years works out to twice as many as arguably should be expected, especially for a small market team that cannot spend its way out of personnel mistakes.

If Tomlin was told today he would have Cowher's record over the next 15 years I bet he would take it in a heartbeat.

P.S. - he lost 4 home AFC championship games, but I admit 2 would have been bad enough.
Your absolutely right Atlanta Dan. But considering I grew up as a child with the Steelers winning 4 SBs in the '70s and add to that we had a great oppurtunity to win 5 more in the 15 years under Cowher, I think we all expect more.

I also agree that coach Tomlin would love to have Cowhers overall record for 15 years. I would have to say though that even with our limited experience with coach Tomlin, he would be quick to say that 4 AFCCG losses (especially at home) is unexceptable. Let me ask this question. If coach Tomlin were to lose his job after his contract is up and the Rooneys wanted to hire Marty Shottenhiemer, how would you feel??

P.S. Seeing as I am from Mass. the 2 AFCCG against the Pats sting the most. We should have easily beaten S.D. (I remember that, '93 season right?). I can't remember the 4th for the life of me.
DACEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 09:09 AM   #30
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 6,382 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
P.S. Seeing as I am from Mass. the 2 AFCCG against the Pats sting the most. We should have easily beaten S.D. (I remember that, '93 season right?). I can't remember the 4th for the life of me.
The fourth loss was Denver (24-21). I recall 2 specific incidents in that game that can be tied to coaching - having Kordell throw up an end zone INT when the Steelers were pounding the ball late in the 2nd Q and then not running out the clock and giving Elway the ball back for another score to end the first half. That flipped a 4 point lead to a 10 point deficit.

The difference between Cowher and Marty is that Marty usually flames out in the first round.
I agree a 1-4 record in home AFC championship games is unacceptable, but when the QBs were O'Donnell, Kordell, and a rookie Ben in those losses the question becomes how much of those losses are attributed to being outcoached and how much to not having a top shelf QB. Noll was a lot more successful coach when he had Bradshaw, Shanahan was more successful when he had Elway, and Belichick has done a lot better with Brady rather than Testaverde under center.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote