Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 05-28-2007, 12:21 AM   #1
I-Want-Troy's-Hair
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 2698
Default Smith and Troy in the secondary - SWEET

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_509785.html

Steelers ready for safety switch?
By John Harris
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Monday, May 28, 2007

One day, Ryan Clark is the Steelers' starting free safety.

The next day, it's Anthony Smith.

Then it's back to Clark again.

Smith, Clark. Clark, Smith.

"Coach (Mike Tomlin) said he wanted to see us battle it out,'' said Smith, a third-round draft pick in 2006. "They've got us rotating. Every other day I'll start, and then he'll start, and then I'll start.''

Given that Smith is younger than Clark, has a bigger upside and is one of the most ferocious tacklers on the team, the smart money says he'll be in the starting lineup for the season opener at Cleveland.

Like it or not, even Clark sees the logic in Smith's replacing him on the depth chart.

"With the way he (Smith) played (last season), I think they want him to start,'' Clark said. "He's a bright young player. They drafted him for a reason. (But) a lot of coaches came to me this offseason saying they watched the film and that I played good ball. I think out of respect for me and the way I played last year, they at least have to give me the opportunity to compete.''

So there you have it.

Smith, who started the final four games last season, is taking the company line.

"We know we're two good safeties, so whatever happens, happens,'' Smith said.

Clark, an undrafted free agent who missed three games because of injuries, isn't conceding the starting job to Smith. However, Clark raised the possibility of his coming off the bench and joining fellow safeties Smith and Troy Polamalu in packages that would highlight his ability to defend the pass.

"It's a long way from being decided, or maybe it's not. Maybe they already know who's going to start,'' Clark said at the conclusion of Thursday's organized team activity session. "Looking at some of the things Anthony did, some of the spectacular plays he made, I feel like it's hard to keep him off the field.''

Clark is more than just football smart. He's a fighter and a survivor who takes nothing for granted. It's why he's still in contention for a starting job entering his sixth season with his third team.

"I expected it,'' Clark said of rotating with Smith as the No. 1 free safety. "Coach (Dick) LeBeau kind of even told me at the end of the year that was what it was going to be, so it was no surprise at all. We're going to alternate all the way through until a decision is made, I guess when the season starts.''

While Smith's physical attributes outweigh his lack of actual game experience, he said he has a greater understanding of how he fits into the defense.

"Each day it's been easier for me,'' said Smith, who developed a reputation as a headhunter his rookie season. "You have to be a general when you're back there in this defense. They're looking for that, and a guy who can make plays.''

Said Clark: "We have a lot of talented guys. Who do you keep off the field? I just want to play -- period.''

Stay tuned.
Old 05-28-2007, 12:35 AM   #2
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327
Default Re: Smith and Troy in the secondary - SWEET

Now that is the type of interview I like to hear. Tell you one thing... while I worry about our CB's I have NO worry about our safeties!
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 04:05 AM   #3
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,585 Times in 1,519 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

I believe that will be the best duo in the leauge.
Galax Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 05:22 AM   #4
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

Quote:
Originally Posted by galax steeler View Post
I believe that will be the best duo in the leauge.
I think that by the end of the season...you may be right!!!!
...and Mcfadden starting over Deshea will be an upgrade also!!!
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 06:21 AM   #5
SteelCzar76
Banned

Member Number: 2498

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
Tell you one thing... while I worry about our CB's I have NO worry about our safeties!

I second that Padre. While Clark is a very solid player with a great sense of purpose and clear perspective regarding the reality of todays game. Smith is not only the future,....but the present as well.
His range is incredible and he plays with the neccesary intensity that you need from your safeties. And IMO he could very well become one of the very best in the NFL as he becomes more comfortable with the 'nuances' of how the F/S spot is played in the league.

If he maintains a strong work ethic to go along with his 'nose for the ball' and his 'lights out' hitting style,...his upside might be dare i say,.....'Lott like' ? (Okay,...i'm pushing it there,...but 'something like Lott' is very impressive to say the least)
SteelCzar76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 06:24 AM   #6
Elvis
Banned

Member Number: 2390

This all sounds good to me. But our DB's are still my worry wart, I dont see McFadden being that much of an improvement, if any at all. He is still young and last year he didnt play near as well as he did his rookie year. As for A Smith at FS, I know the steelers coaches will do the right thing there, and maybe if Smith can show some coverage skills to go with his tackling and aggressive style of play then the Steelers may have something very special at our S's position. I just hope that all is well with Troy an all his concussions, that is my no.1 concern at our Safety positions.
Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 06:58 AM   #7
The Duke
Living Legend

Member Number: 4800

Finally they talk about it. Smith and Polamalu will cause some damage to teams out there.
The Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 08:28 AM   #8
rbryan
Team President

Member Number: 5196

I'm wishing we could have gotten Revis instead of Timmons. Time will tell. Hopefully Timmons will surprise me, but I don't have a good feeling about him.

Unless Ike does a 180 from last year we are gonna have problems at CB. I've watched the games from last year (over and over again, lol) Ike is in postion to make a play on the ball the majority of the time yet he gets beat way too often. Seems that he lacks the confidence to play the ball once it's in the air as opposed to playing the receiver.
rbryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 09:59 AM   #9
myopunger55
Water Boy

Member Number: 5491
Default Re: Steelers ready for safety switch?

You can never have enough good safeties on your roster. Just ask the Seahawks in Superbowl XL (Willie Parker went 75 yards on a terrible angle by their second string safety). I can't wait to see Anthony "A-Train" Smith laying the smackdown in 07' but at the same time it's nice to know we have a solid player in Clark to put in there in when needed. To me it's a win win. Go Steelers!!!
myopunger55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 10:25 AM   #10
FastWillieParker39
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 4348
Default Re: Steelers ready for safety switch?

Clark & Smith, damn thats going to be a good combo for years to come!